Bathroom question

pat fan

Sad my tag won't fit :(
My husband is in a wheelchair and needs assistance in the bathroom. In the parks and restaurants, are people going to squawk if I go in with him? Do we choose the men's or womens restroom??

I have noticed a number of Family Restrooms. Absolutely no issue there.

Personally, I’d be uncomfortable with a person of the opposite sex in the restroom but not enough to do or say anything about it. I would figure there’s probably a good reason for it unless the person was just loitering around.

The "Guide for Guests with Disabilities" for each park have them marked with this symbol: 1680530944548.png
The Guides (maps) are available at Guest Relations in each park, sometimes even out with regular park maps, and in advance you can look at them here (scroll down the list of bullets to "Guides..."):
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

My family doesn't do many TS meals, so I'm not sure if any restaurants have single-stall restrooms. I know in my home area the unisex single restrooms are becoming fairly common in public places (not all but more than 5 years ago). Hopefully others can chime in about restrooms at restaurants.

It seems, just from memory, that there will be a single "companion" or "family" restroom everywhere there are regular men and women rooms. But there may well be a wait when you get a larger family group with children of both sexes who can take a long time to all complete their "business".

COMPANION BATHROOMS (Disney does not have Family Restrooms) are in the parks, in areas of newer construction like Disney Springs and more rare in hotels. I travel with my adult DS who needs assistance and as opposite sex they are our only option. Agree sadly you might encounter a wait, so try to not wait until the last minute to use. Due to the lack of them at resorts we rarely dine at them or try to time it so we are in and out in minimal time.

I absolutely do not feel safe entering the "wrong" restroom, in Florida that is against the law, so I wouldn't try it.

Each park has a Disabilities Guide Map you can get online or at the parks. It will have these bathrooms marked on the map. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

This is the bathroom sign to look for - MAN/WOMAN/WHEELCHAIR. They are NOT available at every regular bathroom unless they were newer built. You might have to travel to another land to get to one. It is best to know where they all are before you enter the park so that you can plan a bit.

images

If it's urgent, take him into the women's room with you and use a handicap stall. No one will bat an eye. It will be obvious why he is in there with you.

I see this a lot at Disneyland, where companion stalls are few and far between.

If it's urgent, take him into the women's room with you and use a handicap stall. No one will bat an eye. It will be obvious why he is in there with you.

I see this a lot at Disneyland, where companion stalls are few and far between.
as @HopperFan said
I absolutely do not feel safe entering the "wrong" restroom, in Florida that is against the law, so I wouldn't try it.
so I would not try it either

Disney World is private property. I very much doubt this is an issue there.

The existing legislation applies to schools only. A more broad proposed bill has not been signed into law.
I have no doubt if she took her DH into the restroom before they could finish there would be security there. Disney is full of narrow minded folks who will promptly call for security. Life is hard enough, last thing OP needs is dealing with the humiliation that will come from this.

There is current law for basis, it is currently being put forward to expand across all entities and Disney provides an option for guests like OP.

I have no doubt if she took her DH into the restroom before they could finish there would be security there. Disney is full of narrow minded folks who will promptly call for security. Life is hard enough, last thing OP needs is dealing with the humiliation that will come from this.

There is current law for basis, it is currently being put forward to expand across all entities and Disney provides an option for guests like OP.

Security might be called. They won't actually call the cops on someone helping an obviously disabled individual in the "wrong" restroom. There is no reason to allow small minded people to intimidate you. Disney World will be on the OPs side if someone tries to escalate the situation.

Thank you all! I am downloading the park maps with the companion bathrooms so I know where they are.
I would not normally have either of us go into a bathroom of the opposite sex, but I understand when I've seen a parent have to do it with a child who they don't want to send alone to the proper bathroom, so if it was an emergency, I wouldn't hesitate and I figure 95% of people would understand, and the other 5%, whatever. After what we've been through, nothing fazes me.

Security might be called. They won't actually call the cops on someone helping an obviously disabled individual in the "wrong" restroom. There is no reason to allow small minded people to intimidate you. Disney World will be on the OPs side if someone tries to escalate the situation.
Disney allows any guest to use the restroom of whatever gender they identify with, so I doubt that security would get involved.

The companion restrooms can have significant lines, if you get unlucky. If I had to choose one, I would pick the men's room, as men don't care and there's always a stall. With a boy, as opposed to an adult male, I would pick women's. Even if FL does pass some crazy law, which they don't have now, there's no way Disney is going to enforce it.

WDW has added many more companion restrooms even over the past few years, which is really nice.

That being said, I have taken a family member of a different gender into both the men's and women's restrooms when a companion restroom hasn't been available (due to distance or being occupied) and have never had an issue - I will add that it easier in men's restrooms because a) like others say, the men just don't care, and b) they are almost always way less crowded than women's restrooms.

I think men going I to woman's restroom is fine
No way woman in men's .. You will get a eye full and see why Men are still cave Men.🤣😀😁

I think men going I to woman's restroom is fine
No way woman in men's .. You will get a eye full and see why Men are still cave Men.🤣😀😁
As a woman, I think you are FAR MORE likely to have a woman complain about a man in the ladies room than the other way around. I’ve had men come out of the men’s room and see a long line at the ladies and suggest we use theirs.

I’m sure for OP and her husbands sake the companion restrooms would be the best solution, and hopefully if not available she encounters no major issues whichever she uses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter