Battery for old Minolta SRT 201?

Todd_H

DIS Veteran
My father gave me his old Minolta SRT 201 and I'd like to find a replacement battery for the internal light meter. The manual says in requires a 1.35V mercury button-cell battery, which I've been told was outlawed years ago. The only thing I can find that is comparable is a 1.5V silver oxide battery that I'm reluctant to try for fear of damaging the camera. I know I could buy an external light meter, but I really don't want to throw any more money at a film camera than I have to.

Anyone out there had a similar problem and care to offer some advice (besides toss the camera)?

I must say, this SRT 201 is built like an absolute tank... really, really well made.

a quick google of Minolta SRT 201 battery

turned up many hits, it seems the 1.5 throws off the meter, but they discuss a zinc air battery or using the silver oxide with a voltage reducer

thi site has replacement guide..http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_mercury_catalogue.htm

a quick check on ebay found the zinc air battery

Thanks, Mickey. I found the voltage reducer solution, but didn't really want to throw another $50 into it. I had not seen the zinc air battery solution, so I may go that route.

Thanks for your help.

you could always try the silver oxide and see how much ot affects the meter

you could always try the silver oxide and see how much ot affects the meter

Just tried that battery today and it doesn't work... can't get the meter to respond at all.

Think I'll try the zinc air route.

Thanks though.

I did a search for the battery for that camera and found a link on ebay. Then I did a search for that brand and model battery. That is what came up so I am assuming it is right. You know what assuming does!

You know what assuming does!

SHHHHH! Family-friendly board :lmao:

Thanks again. I will definitely give it a shot and for $4.50, the price is right (plus it gives me an excuse to go ahead and pick up some additional things from Adorama to save on shipping ;)).

I've used the zinc air batteries for old film SLRs and they work well. The one small flaw is they continually discharge even when the camera is off because of the reaction that creates the charge. You can cover the hole to stop it if you are not using it for a while.

I've used the zinc air batteries for old film SLRs and they work well. The one small flaw is they continually discharge even when the camera is off because of the reaction that creates the charge. You can cover the hole to stop it if you are not using it for a while.

Thanks for the heads up. How long would you say the zinc-air battery should last, assuming average use, and I can cover the hole and/or remove the battery when it's not in use?

I don't plan to shoot with it much, but would like to pull it out to play with it every now and then, and I may take it to Disney with me in September. Just wondering if I should order a bunch of batteries since Adorama gives a qty discount.

I have had a SRT 201 since 1980... it is a work horse.
I found that using the following Battery with a voltage of 1.55 actually works with zero modification.
S625PX Silver Oxide Button Cell Battery
you can purchase this through Batterymart.com

less than 5 bucks and will last for months of repeated shooting.

Ray

Check to see if you have a calibration setting. If so get a meter that is accurate. using a gray card recalibrate the meter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter