Beach in Tortola

babyruth

for the first time in forever
can you get to beach on your own or does it have to be a tour? My daughter won't climb around in the baths it doesn't make sense to trek out there. We just want to relax on a beach.

First one that came to mind (and is often mentioned) is Cane Garden Beach (CGB).

Taxi info from Cruise Critic, 2023 (Google search for taxi to CGB)

IMG_7076.png

We did a tour that included about 90 mintues at Cane Garden Beach, it was very nice. Chairs and umbrellas are $5.

We did a tour that included about 90 mintues at Cane Garden Beach, it was very nice. Chairs and umbrellas are $5.
the only one I am seeing says it goes to Beef Island...I haven't done too much research yet. I assumed we would go to the baths until I just watched a video of what it is. Not for us.

eta I see Cane Garden but you have to do a hike up a mountain first. also not for my little princess. she's just not that type of kid.

@auntlynne and @babyruth

We did the "Island Drive and Beach Break" (TT11)
We walked just a bit where we boarded the vehicles. There were bench seats and it was open on one end. We made 2-3 stops for views/pictures on the way and then got dropped off at the beach for about 90 minutes. They did give us a ticket to get a beverage, either water or N/A punch. Others have reported that chairs were included - they were not for us. I was in the water the whole time and DH just walked up and down the beach and found some shade near some buildings at one end of the beach. There were some public restrooms that he found, but didn't use - there were "too many bees", according to him ---for him"too many" might be one, so YMMV.
tortola vehicle.JPG an example of the vehicle

Tortola.JPG
one of our stops

CGB1.JPG
Cane Garden Beach

CGB2.JPG
Cane Garden Beach (with people and examples of the chairs)

we chartered a boat and went to Jost Van Dyke and it was amazing. We stayed all day and everyone in our group had the best time.

We did an excursion to Beef beach in 2019. It was several months after a hurricane had hit the island and some of the other beaches were closed. It was nice. I don't remember any restaurants, but there were vendors selling food and other souvenirs. They weren't pushy and didn't bother us. The lady who was our host was really nice and said they were hoping to get cruise ships to come there more often. They had outdoor showers to wash sand off and the bathrooms were like large portable buildings. They were nice and clean. They had kayaks, snorkeling gear, pool noodles for us to use for free. There was an inflatable trampoline in the water for a $5 fee. My daughter was 10 yrs old and enjoyed it, so did my husband and I. This was 5 yrs ago, so I don't know how it is now. I would go there again.

eta I see Cane Garden but you have to do a hike up a mountain first. also not for my little princess. she's just not that type of kid.
Cane Garden Bay beach does not require any trekking at all. You're driven to the parking lot and there is the beach, right there. I've been there. When I went it was part of a DCL excursion ("Island Drive and Beach Break"), but I have no doubt that the typical Caribbean open-air shared taxis will also take you there and back.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with Josiah's Bay beach? We have the excursion booked through DCL currently, but we're more interested in doing this on our own. Mostly we're concerned with the ability to get a taxi back to the port from there, since that beach at least seems a little less busy than other beaches on the island. Thanks in advance if anyone may have any info!

Does anyone have experience with Josiah's Bay beach? We have the excursion booked through DCL currently, but we're more interested in doing this on our own. Mostly we're concerned with the ability to get a taxi back to the port from there, since that beach at least seems a little less busy than other beaches on the island. Thanks in advance if anyone may have any info!
Nope. But info on TripAdvisor and Cruise Critic do not report problems of being stuck there.

There is a restaurant (with WiFi) and a Surf School onsite. They should be able to call if you need help.

Like a lot of Caribbean destinations, ask to be picked up at a specified time - make those arrangements before you get in to start your trip. Taxi rates are set by the government.

From 2021: (I am sure it’s more expensive now).

Tortola BVI Taxi Rates for Cruise Visitors​

By Scott S. Bateman© Caribeez.com
Tortola British Virgin Islands has fixed taxi rates for all visitors such as people who arrive at the cruise port.

Posted fares cover one-way trips, although passengers should always confirm the rates before getting into the cab.

Cruise visitors often head straight to the famous white sand beaches on Tortola, which is the largest of the British Virgin Islands.

The most famous and popular beach is at Cane Garden Bay, which is about three and a half miles from the Road Town cruise port terminal. Smugglers Cove Beach is another well-known destination, although it is seven miles from the port and more expensive to reach by taxi.

The following rates come from the British Virgin Islands Tourist Board.
One-way fare per person1 person2 people3 or more people
Brandywine Bay Beach$12$6$6
Brewers Bay Beach$24$12$8
Cane Garden Bay Beach$24$12$8
Josiah Bay Beach$24$12$8
Lambert Beach$24$12$8
Long Bay Beach (Beef Island)$27$14$12
Long Bay Beach (West End)$27$14$12
Nanny Cay Beach$15$8$6
Smugglers Cove Beach$32$16$14
Budget-minded visitors may want to go to Brandywine Bay Beach, which is about the same distance away as Cane Garden Bay but costs about half as much via taxi.

Taxis are almost always available right at the Road Town cruise ship terminal as well as the beach drop off points. Be sure to ask about the best time to return to the ship to avoid long waits.

Cruise visitors may want to share taxis with other passengers to reduce their fare per person. Source:

https://www.caribeez.com/british-virgin-islands/article/tortola-bvi-taxi-rates-for-cruise-visitors

This is from a different thread (sailing 3/2-9/24).

She did a private tour of Tortola; got some beach time. Though a tour and not DIY, thought I’d share a different option. She was solo, but I imagine the price is for the vehicle, not per person.

What a fantastic day I had …and it’s still not over!

I did a private tour with Dervin of Stoutt’s Taxi - he was so wonderful! He shows me some of the island, which is gorgeous, and then stopped at Smuggler’s Cove, which I had requested. There were some people there, but not many - it was great having this beautiful beach to ourselves. The water was perfect - it almost looked and felt like fresh water, that’s how clear it was….and so refreshing. I think was in there for close to an hour! Photos below

Then we stopped for lunch at cool little place on Cane Garden Bay - and I had a virgin Painkiller. Oh my god, it was sooo good!

Then AquaDuck - perfect!

I meant to say, I had a fantastic dinner at Royal Court last night: French onion soup, Duck and Grand Marnier souffle …yum!

Thank you!
Months before - I think it was a couple of hundred dollars for 3 hours, but I was there for longer - and by myself

https://www.stouttstaxiandtour.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter