Beauty & The Beast show at DHS going bye bye

Well here's the things to take away from this:

1. These "insider" blogs are just a figment of geekdom's imagination...as always.

2. It never made any sense to rebuild cars in Florida, still doesn't, more than likely never will

Common sense...the winner and still champion

Haha well said
Never understood both star wars and cars land at the same time

Haha well said
Never understood both star wars and cars land at the same time

this is where the argument and all the snotty "insiders" didn't stop to switch their brains on...

disney has a need to incorporate more "boy friendly" draw to their parks...the pirate thing is what it is and the princess-centric tact to sell merchandise has created and imbalance...

so they got it at DCA with the cars expansion...that won't last forever...but for now they're good.

So they need one in Orlando.

Why on earth wouldn't they do the star wars thing and anchor the draw on both coasts...with different options?

that makes sense...cars clones makes none. that would be "resort" cannibalization...on a bigger monetary scale than "park cannibalization" that they try to avoid like the plague. It would make no sense for disney.

The main counter argument has been "some people can't to go to DL/WDW and they'll lose business because of the choice"

oh please...this is america, baby!!
what's more likely? families make the "hard decision" on where to go? or ultimately spoil the brats (including mine...which i'm sure is close on the horizon) and put vacations to BOTH on their disney visa?

i think we all know the answer to that...viva capitalism!!!:yay:

if they do what they teased at the D23...do a good job on the avatar thing (i don't like avatar at all...but that park needs stuff and FAST), redo imagination (please, for the love of the dividend), and build star wars to anchor studios (but on a reasonable timescale...unlike the "Princess Meet and Greet Land" expansion)...then i'll sign for that...

...for the time being:cool2:

I wouldn't cry but I would miss BatB. I think my family has gone to this show everytime we have went. AI to me is a waste of space. Definitely could be used with Star Wars expanison. Also the building connected to TSM is not used. Dont even know what was ever planned for the location. With all the talk of AK being a half day park, after the families last visit I thought DHS was the true half day park. If nothing else AK is at least open for a shorter time.

I think Disney has enough properties to draw from without having to deal with trying to get out of the contract with Universal. There is plenty of Pixar material to expand Pixar Place. Likewise, Star Wars has a wealth of material to work with.

As much as I love Marvel and wish it had a presence in WDW, I can't see Disney making a large cash outlay, as has been suggested here, in advance of the cost to develop and construct Marvel attractions.

The Beauty and the Beast stage show sucks so bad it hurts. Please get rid of it

It'll likely cost more than "some money", and I'm not so sure that the amount would be recouped easily.

First off, The contract with Universal is pretty straight forward and Universal has most of the leverage. Pretty much the only ways Disney can revoke the rights would consist of (A.) Universal failing to pay the relatively small annual licensing fees, or (B.) Universal neglecting to upkeep the Marvel section of their park to the point that it hurts the brand.....AND then failed to address the issues once Disney/Marvel formally gave Universal notice. Even if Disney decided to manufacture something with their team of lawyers, You gotta remember that Universal/Comcast have their own team of lawyers. Even bigger, Comcast would be much more likely to be up for a big fight than GE would've.

This means that the most likely way Disney will end up getting the rights back is that they convince Universal to willingly give them up. Considering they have most of the leverage, It's likely this would reqiure a nice sized check from Disney to convince Universal to return them (not unheard of since Disney has admittedly bought back rights for Marvel properties from other companies). Of course, This would then mean Universal would need to pay to retheme their existing Marvel section.... And I don't think it would be out of the realm of realistic possibilities that Universal's "nice size check" requirement included whatever the costs would be to retheme Marvel out of the park. So this means that Disney would be paying a large amount to buy back the rights from Universal, and another large sum to basically fund the "re-imagineering" of a competing park's land.

So let's say that they did this, for arguements sake. This brings us to the "easily recoup the cost" section. This is actually the part that I'm finding hardest to find a way that it would be realistic. The problem is that Disney wouldn't just be laying out a large sum of money to Universal up front, But that they would then need to spend a large sum of money to develop and build whatever attractions or themeatic elements they have planned for the Licenses they just bought back. On top of that, They would also be losing the money Universal was paying them for the use of the properties. So in order to "recoup the cost", FIRST they would need to bring in enough profit from JUST the Marvel section of the park to counter the lost pure profit they were getting from Universal. THEN any additional profit could be applied to recouping the money spent on aquiring and utilizing the properties.

New Fantasyland estimates have them spending at least $400mil on that land, with the entire DCA project costing about $1bil. So $400mil doesn't sound that far fetched as a realistic "new land" cost figure. So Figure $400mil for Disney to build out and use the Marvel properties for a land in Florida. But to aquire the properties, They'd probably be charged the cost of developing the replacement for Marvel Superhero Island at Universal.... so that's another land.... $400mil to Universal for their new land. OH! and we can't forget the cost to Universal to convince them to give it up and go thru the trouble of rebuilding/rethemeing their park section. Let's say they are feeling generous and only charging Disney $200mil. Those 3 items alone add up to the $1bil cost of completely reworking DCA. the Disneyland Resort saw prices jump DRAMATICALLY when the new DCA was opening. We've seen a huge jump of prices in Florida (specifically MK) as a result of New Fantasyland.

The big different here on the accounting side between DCA's cost and the cost to add Marvel to Florida? DCA can logically claim that each park entry, especcially those above the dismal numbers it was pulling in for years, can be directly attributed to the $1bil investment. As such, they can say that all income generated in the park could be directly tied to recouping the investment cost. In Florida however, They can't use that logic. You (and others who bring up the idea of Disney buying the rights back) tend to assume that whatever disney does, it's just a bigger retheme, or just a small land or attraction added to an existing park. As such, You can't make the same logical jump for your park admission being because of the investment. You might be able to apply a small percentage of the admission cost, But you would mostly be stuck using just the income generated within the land itself as your Marvel induced profit towards recouping the investment.

I have a very hard time seeing a single land, by itself, having the ability to generate that kind of profit to "quickly recoup" the cost.

At least with New Fantasyland, they introduced a bunch of new merchandise that ties directly into the new areas and attractions. You also gained a new restaurant that is generating a ton of money in a park that desperately needed more good food options.

With Marvel in the studios, You don't really have either. Disney already sells some Marvel merchandise, and gets a cut of all marvel merch sold at Universal, so the potential for new merchandise which can generate the massive profits is much smaller. The Studios park also already has plenty of food options, so a new restaurant is going to have a much smaller impact on the bottom line than one in the Magic Kingdom did.

I just don't think the beancounters are ever going to greenlight such ideas anytime in the near future. I'm also not sure if Disney would be wanting to set themselves up either for a potential direct comparison between what they do with the Marvel properties in their Florida parks, and What Universal has successfully done with it for over a decade now.

What he said!....

Some things I have heard Disney may be doing regarding Star Wars

-Captain EO go bye bye! Somehow that venue will be used as an interactive experience to whatever Star Wars movies are being released by Disney at that moment. And can change on the fly somewhat as new movies come out.

-Star Wars Cantina at DHS! Max Rebo Band! Blue Milk! (maybe something akin to butterbeer or Le Freaus Brew)

-Indiana Jones is closing to make room for new expanded Star Wars area!

-Muppet Vision 3D is closing to make room for new expanded Star Wars area!

-Extreme Stunt Show is closing to make room for new expanded Star Wars area!

-Backstage movie lot tour is closing...yah yah yah...you get it

-DL will be getting People Movers back but as Lightspeeders

-Tomorrowland, the one park that needs reimagining BADLY, will be getting a Star Wars skin or makeover (maybe just a temporary one that can go up and down as new movies are released)

The last 2 I have a hard time believing due to the encroachment of the Star Wars brand on the 2 iconic parks

DHS needs a complete rehaul as we all know. It's poorly planned out and underused attraction-wise. There is a lot of potential there with Star Wars, Pixar, etc. but in order to make sense and incorporate the Old Hollywood aspect it would almost require and entire park rehab. We talk alot about how EPCOT needs some love with upgrades/rides/countires, but honestly DHS needs it more. When we went last time with 2 little kids we saw the Muppets (twice), Star Tours, Met Woody and Buzz and Disney Jr. That was it. And to do that we needed to walk the entire park. It occured to me that when we went as a couple pre-kids we really only went for TT and RnR and Muppets (this was pre-star tours re-do) and that was pretty much it. It hasn't been more than a half day park at best, well, ever. It's also the only park to not have "lands" or distinct areas, rather a mishmosh of attractions that fit into where ever they had space at the time. My dream would be to completely re-do the park - keep Hollywood Blvd as 30's Hollywood Glamour, culminating with a re-vamped TGMR. Have a Pixar Place celebrating Pixar and computer animation. Star Wars, or more broadly, Sci-Fi Central featuring Star Wars (to keep with Hollywood theme and leave door open for Tron or some other sci-fi features. Can also keep Sci Fi drive-in) Consolidate the Animation Courtyard into an area with the Muppets, Disney Jr, One Man's Dream, behind the scenes/animation tours. I like the idea of an Adventure movie theme for Sunset Blvd section ( could keep RR and TT in the same place - add Indy ride/show) too.

None of those will probably ever happen but I can dream!

Don't dream it! DO IT! :wizard:

I'm all in!
Now who's got the 1.5 billion to pay for all this stuff...and pretty much a loss because it won't increase profit overtime relative to the cost...

To infinity...and beyond!

I didn't see this posted here so I thought I would share a story that was given by a very trusted and accurate source over at WDWMagic. Also, American Idol will be saying Adios as well.

Look for the ridiculously long-running Beauty and the Beast stage show to end its run at the Studios following the holiday season. Right now, with no replacement as no show has gotten budget approval and likely won't until the entire Studios Extreme (or Less) Makeover gets decided on.

Also, the fanboi reviled American Idol Experience will be closing down by the end of second quarter 2014 as well with the space repurposed with a new attraction.

These decisions are made and will happen regardless of exactly how much $$$ the BoD gives The Weatherman to fix the Studios park.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/upcoming-dhs-closings.868741/

He also states that The Osbourne Lights will be discontinued at DHS in another thread.

A friend of mine told me the same thing recently, adding that 2012 was the last year for the lights. She never said where her information came from though. I don't give her saying that 2012 was the last year for the lights much stock only because of some other really odd stuff she's told me.

(This is the same friend that insists she and her family took a boat from MK to DHS last November.)

I am actually tired of this show! I have seen it various times and it's the same thing over and over. Yes, there is no denying it is a great show but I think it's time for a change. I also think the Indiana Jones Show needs some redoin or shut down because it is boring due to the fact that I have seen it almost 20 times and I can almost completely recite the words by myself at this point.

-Captain EO go bye bye! Somehow that venue will be used as an interactive experience to whatever Star Wars movies are being released by Disney at that moment. And can change on the fly somewhat as new movies come out.

-Tomorrowland, the one park that needs reimagining BADLY, will be getting a Star Wars skin or makeover (maybe just a temporary one that can go up and down as new movies are released)

Disney almost NEVER successfully carries out a "temporary/rotating" attraction. Look at how long Captain EO has lingered, or the film in Soarin', or the Prince Caspian attraction, or any of the other things that theoretically should/could be cycled out or exchanged to provide variety. This is why I am happy with how they did Star Tours, there is at least some variety in the experience (Great Movie Ride as well, I don't think I have EVER seen the gangster version). I miss the old Horizons attraction for the same reason, you could pick one of three endings, and while fairly simple, it was at least something to vary the ride.

We are constantly fighting several things. 1) 70% of ALL guests to WDW are NEW, thus everyhting is novel to them. 2) what % of repeat guests want any particular ride/attraction to still be there for nostalgic reasons? So in reality, the % of folks demanding a change is pretty small and I bet a decent % of them will visit the attraction anyway.

Heck, I still miss 20,000 leagues and Mr. Toad......:P

Disney almost NEVER successfully carries out a "temporary/rotating" attraction. Look at how long Captain EO has lingered, or the film in Soarin', or the Prince Caspian attraction, or any of the other things that theoretically should/could be cycled out or exchanged to provide variety.

Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground. The movie came out ~25 years ago and is hardly iconic. Anyone under 15 needs an explanation of what the Kodak film cassette is.

I was really hoping the Cars Land rumor would come true. That seems to be such a revenue generator for DL and as a mom with 2 little guys, they would go nuts! But at least there is the Cars section at AOA.

get rid of idol, bring back millionaire haha! beauty and the beast show ill miss, its still one of my favs! good thing ima see it in about a week :D

DHS needs a lot of help. LMA is awful. This stage is too. Little mermaid is way past its prime. The backlot tour and animation building r shells of thier former glory

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter