Becoming Lean, Mean, Endurace Event Machines in 2008

nepatsfan73

DIS Veteran
As we start a new post-WDW Marathon Weekend year, many people on the WISH Racing team are not only looking to improve their times in 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons, full marathons, ultramarathons and other distances, but are also looking to eat healthy and, if possible, drop a few (or more) pounds.

In the spirit of the WISH team, I have started this new thread for the new "racing" year as a place to lend support to one another, exchange advice, seek solace and provide each other with a helping hand getting back on the horse/on the wagon.

Those of you who know me, know that I have a long road to travel in this regard, and I hope to make it to the finish line for both the sake of myself and my family. (My future marathon finish, although related, is more of a personal challenge.) I hope others join me here and best of luck to all for a happy and healthy WDW Marathon Weekend 2009 year.

Bill
I completed my first half this weekend and it has inspired me!! Once my foot heals (I lost a toenail in training and now it is infected) I plan to train for the full next year with two halfs to prepare - maybe the flying pig and the air force marathon in Dayton

the most important thing to me in all of this is to shed extra pounds - 30 would be great, 40 would be awesome and 50 would be perfect! I will join you!!

Next year I don't want to look at my race photos and wonder who that fat girl is!!

I'm here! I have managed to lose 6 lbs in the last 2 and 1/2 weeks! I mention that before I mention I gained 10 lbs since ToT! But I am headed the right direction!

Love the calculator, Vic! I am impressed with how incredibly fast I am! :woohoo:

Wow, Vic! That flyer calculator is interesting. I wish I could put the computed time as my actual time. :teeth:

Bill, I'm right there with you, too! Although I did just complete the marathon, I would really like to get faster and enjoy the experience more. I need to lose 40 pounds before I do another.

As for tips and tricks, I'm all ears. In the past, I have found that small changes are easier at first than by changing a lot on the get go. I tend to burn out too quickly if I push myself too hard in the beginning of any new routine.

j&n'smom - :wizard: for the foot. I have a big 'ol blister the size of Texas on the ball of my right foot. It's driving me crazy! :headache:

Sign me up! I really want to be in much better shape (and lighter on my feet!) even in time for the half marathon I'm doing in May. I was wondering--does anyone use the "Walk off the Pounds" DVDs? How about other exercise DVDs until the weather breaks? I'd love to know how the walkers out there got to such a fast walk?

I'm in.

I ran my first triathlon last spring - until that point I'd never been in a swimming, biking, OR running event! I'd like to do another one this year and I'm looking for an in-line skating marathon to replace the cancelled Disney skate.

Oh...and lose 10 pounds...again.

DH ran the WDW marathon last weekend and wants to sign up again next year. No marathons for me - I have the hips of an 80 year old woman. I only run when I'm 2/3 through a tri!

Sign me up! I am so proud of my Donald medal this year, but I can't look at those pictures... After I saw them, I looked at my pics from the full marathon 2 years ago - I was about 75 pounds lighter - UGH!!! :headache: DH and I are getting back on track, though. :thumbsup2

Vic - thanks for that calculator! That was an eye opener for both of us! :eek:

--Lynnda

when I was pregnant with my first - I got gestational diabetes - I was able to control it with diet and weighed 25 pounds less two weeks after delivery than I did the day I got pregnant...

it was such a great diet and I was able to eat a lot while losing weight - I am a VERY picky eater

I have tried to do the diet several times but always seem to find an excuse not to do it - I really need to stick to it now -

weight watchers has worked for me in the past but then I find that as soon as I deviate from the plan I gain it back...

I also have started watching Biggest loser - that is pretty motivating to me

I also have started watching Biggest loser - that is pretty motivating to me

Hey Kate - I remember chatting with you a while ago on the t-shirt design threads. :wave2: Congratulations on your race!!! :thumbsup2

I had a major moment last week watching Biggest Loser. It was when Jillian was talking to pink girl (can't remember her name) about why she had gained all the weight, and about working through the emotions. I also did WW before, and lost 132 pounds, and was even a receptionist for a year and a half. I learned how to eat well, but I never dealt with all the "issues", and all the weight came piling back on. Anyway, I am so glad they showed that side of weight loss - not just healthy eating and exercise (which are also essential).

--Lynnda

Wow. I wasn't expecting such quick and numerous replies. In that this, for me, is the start (again) of a new way of life, I try to keep in mind that I didn't get as big as I did overnight. I've "worked" at it hard for many years and, as such, I don't expect to be buff overnight either (may be by next January though ;).)

Big Vic--Thanks for the calculator. That truly encourages me. I put in relevant info, adjusted for distance, based on my Tower of Terror race--my only one so far. I am going to have to run the numbers again though because according to the calcultor, I finished before I started:confused3 . If I loose enough weight, I might make it to elite status without even having to train.:thumbsup2

I am sooooo needing to join you all in this journey... it will be nice to have some real friends who understand the reality of this to work with!!

I am sooooo needing to join you all in this journey... it will be nice to have some real friends who understand the reality of this to work with!!

Yes, and a nasty reality it is! :eek: Do any of you know how to get in on the Biggest Loser thingy on The Dis?

Me too. I'll join you. I'd like to lose 20 lbs by Nov, my next half marathon. Unfortunately I won't be back to the Disney Marathon until 2010 because of scheduling. I'm hoping 2010 will be the year of the full marathon, but I realize it will be a lot easier on my body if I lose the weight.

Me too! Me too! :thumbsup2

Big Vic -- Great calculator. I've heard so many folks say that simply by losing weight you can improve your time. Wish I knew how much of the improvement from the calculator was based on weight and not age -- Oh! I could plug in my age as 25 and see that, couldn't I? :upsidedow

For those of you who don't know me, I am on high blood pressure meds and have been warned about my climbing blood sugar. I lost 23 pounds recently and got my bloood sugar just inside the "normal" zone, but I'm still at least 60 pounds overweight (and I'm talking "normal" weight -- not Twiggy weight).

I'd love to be held accountable here -- and to post my progress while encouraging others.

Hello everyone. This weekend I plan on trying to eat smart. With all the kids' activities, meals are/will be on the run. Just back from DS's Pinewood Derby (Den and Pack winner), am about to head off to DD#3's swim meet while DW is with DD#1 at a gymnastics meet. We'll meet up later today for DD#1 and DD#2's 6:00PM basketball game. Tomorrow doesn't look any better.

Hope to get some time this weekend to calculate my nutritionl goals. I am thinking shooting for between 2200 and 2500 calories per day with about 20% complex carbs, 40% protein and 40% fats.

Wendy, my system has gone crazy after all my surgeries on the hips. I am also dealing with, among other things, high blood pressure and a few weeks ago for the first time my blood sugar was off the charts. I have tried to clean up the eating some and the last blood test was close to normal, but given everything else going on, my doc is closely monitoring. I am hoping for improvement when I next see him in 3 months and big improvements over the next year.

Eat smart everyone and exercise strong.

Thanks, Bill, for starting this thread. And Vic, I loved the calculator! To everyone else, yeah! "We're All in This Together..."

A little background on me...a couple of years ago, I lost 50+ pounds after seeing myself in a family-reunion photograph and thinking, "Really??" No magic diets, no pills, just the old-fashioned method of a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and swearing. Oh, yeah, and I gave up my 2 Mountain Dews a day addiction.

Since then, I've been able to keep physically active, but fell off the wagon on the food intake. Or maybe you should say I climbed back onto the food (chuck) wagon. I've put 10-12 pounds back on, and they don't sit comfortably with me & my new clothes. I didn't really stick to my food plan in 2007 for various reasons I've talked about in other threads, the most important being I trained for & completed the Goofy! :yay:

I'm now hooked on this exercise thing, and would like to transition from a WR program to R for next year's marathon weekend and maybe a few races in between. Meanwhile, I'd like to drop this weight, work on my core issues (and any other issues I may have), and just get healthier in general. I've returned to my long-dormant SparkPeople account, and they're recommending a caloric range of 1200-1550 day. I'm also hoping to do cardio 5x/week and strength training 3x/week. If given an opportunity, though, I'll find an excuse to exceed the first category, shirk the second, and ignore the third altogether. (Crunches, lunges, and squats--oh my! :scared1:)

But I know I need even more help, that's where you all come in. I'm in need of support, encouragement, and more-than-occasional nagging! Thanks for being here, and I hope to give as much to you all as I receive!

Good luck on a new week, everyone!

Hey Kate - I remember chatting with you a while ago on the t-shirt design threads. :wave2: Congratulations on your race!!! :thumbsup2

I had a major moment last week watching Biggest Loser. It was when Jillian was talking to pink girl (can't remember her name) about why she had gained all the weight, and about working through the emotions. I also did WW before, and lost 132 pounds, and was even a receptionist for a year and a half. I learned how to eat well, but I never dealt with all the "issues", and all the weight came piling back on. Anyway, I am so glad they showed that side of weight loss - not just healthy eating and exercise (which are also essential).

--Lynnda

:wave: Kate

Lynda that was Bette Sue - yes I'm hooked, and its a great visual when I go to the gym, and dont think I can do just one more.... or 5 more minutes.... the nice thing is I dont weigh enough to qualify for Biggest Loser - but it just feels like it!! I will settle for 20# - but I have an addiction to food... I really enjoy it... I think of food all the time... for me I know its also emotional, and I know I should deal with some of those issues (when I did I was able to keep off the weight, so now I think its just too much food and too little confidence in myself... I'm hoping the races will boost my confidence...)

I'm also on the wish weight loss thread Fast Pass to Thin - we encourage people to drop in and just belong - we had a Dis Meet in Sept this past year - we try to be accountable, and challenge each other...

Accountability is we post a weight loss or gain (not your starting weight) on Fridays...

Challenges - drink water, or 50 situps... or for me I was training and asked others to join me!! (some gave me their phone numbers so I could call on them!!)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1273475&page=1539

I know on other threads I often want to jump in on my weight issues, so thanks for starting the thread!!

I really believe I can have a before and after photo!!

I am in! I have lost 6 pounds since the beginning of the year, but boy I am working for every pound! I had lost 70 pounds, but gained 20 back! I need to keep working.....I want to lose 20 more to get to my 'goal' weight!

My next 1/2 marathon is at the end of April, and I would like to be down the 20 pounds!

Beth

Wendy: Last year in Runner's World they said you could improve your time 2 seconds/mile/pound you dropped.

Good luck to everyone improving their health this year.

Cindy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter