• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bedbugs at Disney Resorts?

Taken from the Wikipedia page on bedbugs:

Travel Tips

Since most bedbugs are carried by travellers through contact with beds and hotel rooms of infected locations, following are some tips for those travelling to hotels that might be at risk.
1) First look at the room to seek potential hiding places for bedbugs, such as carpet edges, mattress seams, pillow case linings, bedboards, wall trim or other tiny crack-like places bedbugs might hide.
2) Next, look specifically at the mattress seams for signs of bedbug activity: droppings, eggs, bloodstains or even bedbugs themselves, hiding in tiny folds and seam lines.
3) As mentioned, keep a flashlight nearby when sleeping, to immediately observe activity during the night without having to get up out of bed, thus giving bedbugs time to hide in safety.
4) Never leave your clothing laying on the bed, or any location of possible infestation (as mentioned above). Instead, use hangers or hooks capable of keeping all cloth distant from the floor or bed.
5) Close your suitcase, travel bag, when you're not using it. This way, during the night the bugs may move over top of your luggage with greater difficulty to get inside.
6) Elevate your luggage off the floor to tables or chairs. These may also be hiding places, but less likely.
7) Keep any bedbug you find (intact if possible) to show the hotel owner.
8) If you have a bad feeling about a location, trust your instinct. Look carefully for possible activity, or change locations.

Great tips, thanks!:thumbsup2

About the size of a grain of rice and translucent when it is not full of blood. Once they have fed they are much easier to spot as they turn a reddish brown and get a little fatter.

Telltale signs are small brown spots on the sheets or the mattress - usually around a seam where they may have been inadvertently squished. You may also see small brown spots or droppings.

Here is a link to various pictures from a Canadian University.
http://www.utoronto.ca/forest/termite/Bedbugs/photoindex.html

Hope that helps but also that you never get to see them.

According to your previous posts you always stay offsite at timeshares and offer other people pm's about how to stay there too. Are the Disney bedbugs the reason you don't stay onsite at WDW? What made you interested in Disney properties at this time? It's really kind of you to share this information, very thoughtful. Are you thinking of staying there now?

People can also search some of the other 3 million posts on this subject. Or wait for the next one which will pop up in about 2 weeks. Better yet, maybe there should be a sticky on this subject. Since it comes up so often it must deserve one, doesn't it?

According to your previous posts you always stay offsite at timeshares and offer other people pm's about how to stay there too. Are the Disney bedbugs the reason you don't stay onsite at WDW? What made you interested in Disney properties at this time? It's really kind of you to share this information, very thoughtful. Are you thinking of staying there now?

People can also search some of the other 3 million posts on this subject. Or wait for the next one which will pop up in about 2 weeks. Better yet, maybe there should be a sticky on this subject. Since it comes up so often it must deserve one, doesn't it?

MermaidsMom,

We used to stay offsite but then we discovered Free Dining a couple of years ago and gave that a try and it worked, they hooked us in - although this year it is not quite as good of a deal so we may not go after all - no flights booked yet and fuel surcharges mean there are no truly good deals anymore.

As to bedbugs, I see I am not the only one who checks for them and I really just wanted to get a feel for where they have been seen lately...not likely to change where we stay this fall, just going to guage how vigilant we are about checking everything.

If there have been 3 million posts on this then I may suggest that this be a sticky ( I did not find that many but I did find enough to make me think that it may be something worth asking about. Maybe just sticky the hints and tips part.

I also removed the link in my first post since I do not want to be accused of advertising for the company.

my dh has been in the pest control business for years, and the very first thing he does when we get to any hotel room is do a thorough inspection. bed bugs tend to infest not only mattresses but can also be in boxsprings, back behind the headboards, in baseboards, picture frames, behind electrical plates, just about anywhere. there are many places of harborage for the little suckers! but the very first place to look is under the mattress and in the seam line, because you will see brown yucky stuff (it is their excretement) if they are present. sorry for being gross, but it is an easy thing to spot....

I know of a family who realized when they arrived at a Disney hotel their luggage was pretty well infested with bed bugs from their previous hotel.

Disney bought them new luggage, new temporary clothing and sent ALL their clothing over to be steam cleaned. For a couple of items of clothing that were nylon/plasticy type fabric and couldn't be heated to the correct temperature, Disney replaced those items!

And this is for people who ARRIVED with the bed bugs!

Disney handles this pretty well usually - when they can catch it.

Knox

My son and DIL were just there and found that the room had bed bugs. They were bitten as well as their daughter. The General Manager never apologized or offered any compensation, but sent somebody to pick up all their belongings to be steamed. They ended up sitting in another room in their pajamas for hours. All they were told was the number to call to make a claim. I will never stay in A Disney hotel again because they were treated so poorly.
Don't be fooled, not everybody is treated in a respectful manner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter