Beginning July 30, Face Covering required indoors, in queues & attractions, on Transportation

Policy on COVID related discussions
The global COVID pandemic created unprecedented restrictions, disruptions and changes to our travel, work, shopping, schooling, social interactions and so many other aspects of our lives since the beginning of 2020. We’ve all been affected, and we have been inundated with news, information, mis-information, frustrations and opinions. We’ve heard them, we’ve shared them, we’ve argued about them.

The discussions, debates and arguments about the virus, distancing and masking policies, various politicians’ statements and actions have been overwhelming and divisive. Many threads on the DISboards have been derailed or devolved into arguments due to this topic. We understand the passion, but feel that we’ve let the discussions run their course. We are sure there are better places on the WWW to learn about and debate scientific, medical and political issues. The mission of the DISboards is to be a great travel resource and a friendly community.

Now that travel is opening up again, it’s time to refocus on that mission!

From this point on, we will welcome information on COVID policies RELATED TO TRAVEL. Things like the vaccination policies issued by venues or destinations, the cleaning or distancing procedures in use, practical tips for travelers or things they might need to know that are different from location to location are all valid topics. Any official policies issued by Disney, other travel destinations, cruise lines, airlines, etc. regarding requirements for visiting parks or cruising can be shared. This information needs to be on-topic for the specific forum and thread where posted.

We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed: No statistics about infection rates, no ranting about individual rights, no “face-diaper” comments, no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective, no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what.

In summary: COVID related discussion should be limited to actual policy and practical application, and NOT veer into opinion or debate.

We understand that you may be passionate in your opinions on this topic and want to discuss or debate them, and appreciate your understanding that there are more appropriate places than the DISboards to do that.

Thank you,
DISboards Administrators

Understood and thank you for the reminder!😊

Just a gentle reminder that debates about masks is not allowed on the boards.

You may discuss the policy and ask questions regarding it.
Yes, I totally forgot. 🤭. Thanks for the reminder.

I think that Disney might have wanted to reinstate this policy all along - due to the rising case load - but felt like their hands were tied. They have worked awfully hard to make sure they were never a super spreader location. However, the new CDC recommendations gave them the opportunity they needed.

For anyone looking for masks, shopDisney tweeted around Noon Eastern time today that all current masks are on markdown for a limited time. Most are $1.50 per mask: 2-packs are $3 and 4-packs are $6. Masks by Spirit Jersey are $3 each.

In the past month or so, shopDisney masks seemed to alternate between full price and big discounts (like current prices), with no rhyme or reason when prices changed.
How comfortable are these masks? Also, anyone else with recommendations for kn95 masks that work well in the summer heat? Thank you!

How comfortable are these masks? Also, anyone else with recommendations for kn95 masks that work well in the summer heat? Thank you!
I wore a KN95 and cloth mask in DL outdoors/indoors late July. I was okay with basic walking. I found that the "duck style" of mask to be more helpful for comfort/less restrictive breathing than the "blue/yellow surgical masks" (common clinical masks). So while in parks, I exclusively used the more duck/bulging style + cloth. I also brought a salicylic acid face scrub to use after long mask-use days. I found I didn't have a break-out. I also never reused a cloth mask without washing, and disposable masks were (at most) one day only.

In the FL humidity for early Sept, I plan to bring a change of KN95 masks for about every 5 hours or so. I expect that the humidity (and my breathing) will eventually dampen it to reduce the efficacy. Most likely I'll have a lightweight cloth mask over the disposable, but I'm going to see how the heat + humidity affects wearability. Any smaller surgical/clinical masks will be for A/C settings. Any just cloth masks alone will be for areas with wide physical distancing and air flow.

I hope it's helpful to hear park/resort strategy from one traveler. I realize many folks have different ways of strategizing for the parks.

I wore a KN95 and cloth mask in DL outdoors/indoors late July. I was okay with basic walking. I found that the "duck style" of mask to be more helpful for comfort/less restrictive breathing than the "blue/yellow surgical masks" (common clinical masks). So while in parks, I exclusively used the more duck/bulging style + cloth. I also brought a salicylic acid face scrub to use after long mask-use days. I found I didn't have a break-out. I also never reused a cloth mask without washing, and disposable masks were (at most) one day only.

In the FL humidity for early Sept, I plan to bring a change of KN95 masks for about every 5 hours or so. I expect that the humidity (and my breathing) will eventually dampen it to reduce the efficacy. Most likely I'll have a lightweight cloth mask over the disposable, but I'm going to see how the heat + humidity affects wearability. Any smaller surgical/clinical masks will be for A/C settings. Any just cloth masks alone will be for areas with wide physical distancing and air flow.

I hope it's helpful to hear park/resort strategy from one traveler. I realize many folks have different ways of strategizing for the parks.
Thank you so very much - your advice is super helpfu!! Appreciate you!

Just came back from a July 9 - 19th trip where we did a lot of masking in solidarity with our unvaccinated 2 and 5 year olds. PSA that the disposable surgical-style face masks are way more breathable and bearable in the Florida heat then the cotton masks. They’re also super cheap on Amazon right now (like as low as $3 for a 50 pack). That’s definitely the way to go in my opinion.

I've personally not been a fan of the ones I bought from Disney (in terms of comfort). YMMV
The first ones I bought from Disney (Star Wars 4 pack) several months ago were not comfortable. I bought the two pack Pride ones a few weeks ago when Disney released them. They're softer and much more comfortable. So maybe they've changed the fabrics in all of them? :confused3

The first ones I bought from Disney (Star Wars 4 pack) several months ago were not comfortable. I bought the two pack Pride ones a few weeks ago when Disney released them. They're softer and much more comfortable. So maybe they've changed the fabrics in all of them? :confused3
This is good to know because I also have some of the earlier ones (Stitch). I thought about buying pride ones but held off.

Anyone that is at WDW or has been there since the implementation of the latest mask mandate? Are they required in bars and restaurants while seated? We have our Orientation phone call in a couple of hours and we would like to try to book our "Welcome Home" trip if possible but not interested if the mandate requires masking between bites/sips or anything insane. If that is the case we will just wait it out before we try to put a trip together.

Anyone that is at WDW or has been there since the implementation of the latest mask mandate? Are they required in bars and restaurants while seated? We have our Orientation phone call in a couple of hours and we would like to try to book our "Welcome Home" trip if possible but not interested if the mandate requires masking between bites/sips or anything insane. If that is the case we will just wait it out before we try to put a trip together.
Even before the mask mandate was lifted, masking between bites/sips was not required. Some restaurants asked us to keep our masks on until drinks were placed in front of us and to put them back on whenever leaving the table, others told us we could take them off as soon as we were seated. But nowhere were we expected to mask between bites or sips.

Agree with CarolynFH. Disney never had a mask-between-bites policy. At one point, needed to wear the mask into restaurant/bar, keep it on until drinks/food came, take it off, and then put it back on to walk out of the restaurant/bar. I expect a similar practice is expected with the latest guidelines.

That’s a very real possibility. When we went in July, we brought a lot of extra disposable masks with us just in case.

Of course, didn’t I walk out without one day and had a Lyft waiting to go to DS so had to buy from the RIV store!! Didn t pay attention to the size and got a child’s. It was hysterical watching me try to stretch on my face!!
I'm showing 2 masks for $3 on Shop Disney. But not a good selection of sizes. But I've got plenty, plus a pack of disposables, already packed in the suiotcase.

I use some disposable KN94s here at home that are pretty good when it's hot. Also my girls made me a mask lanyard with their rainbow loom which helps a lot.
Alternatively, we have also used a silicone mask w disposable filter (google "gatapack") that has a plastic insert to hold the mask part off your face. Everything except the filter (which is supposedly KN95 ish) is dishwasher safe. The silicone makes a seal around the face and it comes in kids and adults' sizes. It's the one we use for flying.

Just came back from a July 9 - 19th trip where we did a lot of masking in solidarity with our unvaccinated 2 and 5 year olds. PSA that the disposable surgical-style face masks are way more breathable and bearable in the Florida heat then the cotton masks. They’re also super cheap on Amazon right now (like as low as $3 for a 50 pack). That’s definitely the way to go in my opinion.
We also have a box of 50 surgical style masks in assorted colors in our Owners Locker - bought for our 1st pandemic trip. I guess they will still be used! We were also planning to mask in solidarity with our unvaccinated little kids, in crowds (<6' of space) outside and indoors even before the mask policy changed.

Also my girls made me a mask lanyard with their rainbow loom which helps a lot.
You are such a great dad!! My big girls have passed the rainbow looming stage, but I should totally find it for my younger girls! Such fun 🤩

But back to masks- a lanyard truly is indispensable!! We all had them on our trips & we felt it (meaning the lanyard) was most helpful when the policy was as it is now- half on/half off. You always had it right there & didn’t need to worry about baggies, etc.

And mean while at a Disney Product status meeting, cheering erupts as the problem with 500,000 unsold Disney masks is solved!
I'll tell ya, here, in FL. people are buying them up like crazy for thier kids going to school. LOL. we saw one woman buy 10 of those things!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter