Being turned away at the port

Does anyone know - if this happens do you get money back for the days you are missing (pro-rated?) or is this just a risk people are taking when going on DCL right now?
If DCL shortens the cruise, they may offer something (refund, future credit, etc.). But if you as the guest are put off the ship, travel insurance will be necessary to recoup your losses. That's why DCL is requiring unvaccinated passengers to have insurance, but it's highly recommended for all passengers.

Does the removal of passengers depend on ship location etc and how easy it is for evac or are they removed at next port etc
It may depend on the ship's location and itinerary. It may also depend on the severity of the positive case(s).

Not to dismiss what people heard from cast members, but I agree it'd be lunacy to turn around if there's only one case on-board. It'd be like walking out the door while raining and thinking "If one drop of rain hits me, I'm going back inside."

I agree! I honestly just dismissed it when I was told for that reason... but I was surprised to see someone else being told the same. It seems like if that's the case, a lot of cruises are going to be cut short. I'll be interested to see how the first several go.

My guess is that they don't have a "set" threshold number and they don't want to lock themselves into one...so they're probably encouraging cast members to warn passengers that the ship *could* turn around if one passenger/crew member tested positive. I'm sure that in actual practice, a lot of factors will come into play in determining whether they can keep going or need to cut the cruise short - e.g. can they keep the person(s) appropriately isolated for the duration of the cruise, is the person who tested positive someone who came in contact with a large number of passengers (a crew member who comes in more frequent/more direct contact with passengers, or a passenger who is traveling with a large travel party), how many days are left in the cruise, etc....

I agree! I honestly just dismissed it when I was told for that reason... but I was surprised to see someone else being told the same. It seems like if that's the case, a lot of cruises are going to be cut short. I'll be interested to see how the first several go.
Returning a ship to port for just one positive doesn't seem to be reasonable by any standard. Maybe it's a not well thought out attempt to reassure, even though it's likely not true. Hard to tell.

Did we ever find out how many passengers popped positive at the Port? I know a lot of passengers were turned away for incomplete/inadequate documentation, etc... but I'd be curious to see what number actually tested positive day of!
I am curious too. I’d also like to know how many of those positive cases were vaccinated vs unvaccinated. Not to argue, but just my own curiosity.

We are waiting to disembark from the first dream cruise ❤ The covid protocols were so confusing - and I work in the legal field. They were poorly worded leading to lots of confusion.

The safe passage website listed her under my name. It did have us clear to sail despite her not having her test. In my profession there are no second chances and you follow the rules - she was tested via inspire and uploaded.

I was talking to the DCL staff as we were waiting for the bus at the airport. She told me that her grandson came with her (they got back Sunday) and was 17 months. He had to be tested and CVS wouldn’t test on infants. They took him to urgent care who tested and the test came back inconclusive. So, her daughter had to take him somewhere else (she didn’t know where) to be tested again. My point is be prepared for the worst withyoung kids.

she also told us that if one person on the ship tests positive for covid the whole ship turns around immediately. She said they will never be stuck at see for 14 days again. That was my constant worry.

Is this in writing somewhere on Disney's site? I apologize that I haven't read replies yet after this, so it may already be answered. That would be a constant worry for me too esp when the Captain comes on to announce. If this is actually true, it is one more reason I will NOT sail with Disney at this time. There is no way they will escape positive tests with unlimited unvaccinated onboard. (And not saying it will only come from them, I understand the current ramifications of the variant as to vaccinated too.)

Is this in writing somewhere on Disney's site? I apologize that I haven't read replies yet after this, so it may already be answered. That would be a constant worry for me too esp when the Captain comes on to announce. If this is actually true, it is one more reason I will NOT sail with Disney at this time. There is no way they will escape positive tests with unlimited unvaccinated onboard. (And not saying it will only come from them, I understand the current ramifications of the variant as to vaccinated too.)

I really can't see DCL turning a ship around with a single positive case. No cruise ship would. Let alone one that really has no vaccination requirements. It would not be worth it in the slightest to get ships on the ocean with passengers again if that were the case. The logistical nightmare of having to turn back if one lone person tested positive would far outweigh any potential profit. Yeah, just can't see that being true.

Outbreak on Carnival cruise lines would not back this up. 27 fully vaccinated people.
Southern Pirate didn't say vaccinated people can't get covid. The point is that DCL doesn't require testing by passengers who will show proof of vaccination. So if all of the test cruise passengers were vaccinated, they theoretically all were able to opt out of pre-departure testing and at port testing, and they would not be turned away from boarding. So it's a simulated cruise but isn't really simulating real-world circumstances and testing those scenarios.

Southern Pirate didn't say vaccinated people can't get covid. The point is that DCL doesn't require testing by passengers who will show proof of vaccination. So if all of the test cruise passengers were vaccinated, they theoretically all were able to opt out of pre-departure testing and at port testing, and they would not be turned away from boarding. So it's a simulated cruise but isn't really simulating real-world circumstances and testing those scenarios.
I was deleting as you were responding. I misunderstood the original post. 😃

I understand it's what you were told. It's not what the cruise industry in general is doing. (One positive and the ship turns around.) I guess we'll have to see how they handle positives if or when they happen.

What if that one person is a cast member?
If that will still cancel an entire cruise, well then having rules like that is one quick method to keep sailings from become overcrowded. :rolleyes: It's going to happen. On Celebrity Edge, even with the ship 100% vaccinated, there were still at least 6 breakthrough cases. I'd never book anything longer than a 3-nt sailing in that case because anything longer than that will only raise the odds that your cruise gets cancelled while you're onboard. That's worse than getting turned away at the port because Disney will just say "told you so". They're not going to give service recovery to every other cruise because there's a covid case onboard. It will become a matter of "disappointment beyond our control" like bad weather or being unable to dock at CC.

Yes, they currently require testing (or proof of vaccination which will at this time only apply to age 12 and up) for all guests, including infants.

Color me shocked that the same people that wont’t get a vaccine can’t manage to take a required covid test either. I hope they don’t get time to find their soapbox before Mickey throws them back ion the bus to the airport.

Color me shocked that the same people that wont’t get a vaccine can’t manage to take a required covid test either. I hope they don’t get time to find their soapbox before Mickey throws them back ion the bus to the airport.

From everything we've been reading, it was vaccinated parents confused about the testing of their kids. Don't paint with such a broad brush.

I take it you don't have any children under 12 in your life and you assume no one else who's cruising DCL does either. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter