Belated Trip Report 10/27-11/03

WickedWench

Ruthless Pirate turned Polynesian Princess
Here is my somewhat belated trip report. :>

I visited Disneyland with my father, whose last trip to Disneyland was during September 1955. He was stationed at Camp Pendleton as a 22 year old navy medic, and visited DL with some fellow servicemen. He told this to nearly every cast member we met during the trip. :> I'd never been to Disneyland, although we went to WDW many times during my childhood. I've travelled alone with my dad before, but this time it was especially bad... nearly everyone we met assumed we were husband and wife, not father and daughter. Nothing creeps you out more than having someone refer to your dad as your husband. When you see an older man with a young woman...don't assume! Next time I think I will have to force my sister to come along too just to avoid that. *shudders*

On 10/27, we landed in the early afternoon at the John Wayne airport in Orange County. The airport was pretty small, but very convenient. We rented a car, and headed for the Grand Californian. We got a little lost after leaving the freeway, but with the help of a cast member (we accidentally drove into the theme park parking), we were soon there. I had seen the Grand Californian on "Great Hotels" with Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel. The lobby was much smaller than I expected after viewing that show, but it was still impressive. Our room wasn't ready yet, so we went to Downtown Disney and had lunch in the Rainforest Cafe. I had fish and chips, and it was one of the best I'd ever had. I also got a fruit drink called a rainforest rikki (I think), which I thought was a little too sour for me.

After we left the restaurant, we called a phone number registration had given us to check on the status of our room. They left us on hold for a long time, and just when I was about to hang up and call back, they came back and told us they needed another 20 minutes before they could give us a room. We took a slow walk back and took some photos of Downtown Disney. We paid for a standard view, and we got room 4121. I was disappointed when I heard prior to my trip that the monorail would be down during our stay, but I was doubly disappointed when I saw our view.. the monorail track went right underneath our room! Then again, maybe that was a good thing.. I'm not sure how loud the monorail would have been. Still, it would have been awesome to see. My dad took a nap and I watched T.V. We met a family friend around 6 pm for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, about 15 miles up Rt. 5.

On 10/28 we were up early enough to get to Disneyland a few minutes after it opened. There was already a decent sized line. We stopped for breakfast at the Main Street Bakery, and were not impressed. My dad had a cinnamon roll and I had a chocolate croissant. Both were only so-so. We headed straight for Adventureland, and while Dad stood in line at the Jungle Cruise, I ran into Indiana Jones for Fast passes. I was amazed at how close together the two rides were! The FP machines were being difficult, and my dad had to get other people in front of him so as not to get too far ahead of me. After Jungle Cruise, we still had time before the Indiana Jones FP time, so we walked down to Pirates of the Caribbean. Now, everyone had told me how much better POTC was in Disneyland, so I was very excited.. it's one of my favorite rides after all. However, I wasn't impressed. There were a few more scenes with skeletons, an extra drop, and a long stretch of only dark tunnels. The only addition I liked was seeing the full size painting of my avatar. :> I also missed the atmosphere of the WDW version's queue. Entering through a French Quarter building just seemed... wrong. After POTC we grabbed FP's for the Haunted Mansion, then headed back for Indiana Jones, which was down due to technical difficulties. At least they told us our FP's would be good for the entire day. We passed Splash Mountain, and by this time (around 11 am I think) there was an 80 minute wait! Dad didnt want to do this ride anyway, so we went on. I dragged him on Winnie the Pooh which was kind of lame. He had a difficult time with the vehicle, so we steered clear of the 'kiddie' rides after that. We headed back to HM, only to discover that it too, was now down due to technical difficulties. We hopped on the Railroad, and took the full loop, then got off at Tomorrowland. We went to see Honey I Shrunk the Audience.. although the other rides were getting busy, this show was practically deserted. My dad had never been on one of the newer 3D rides that spray you with water, etc. He LOVED it. After that, we went on Star Tours, then hopped back on the Railroad and returned to New Orleans Sq. The Haunted Mansion was up and running, so we used our FP's. I was very disappointed with the whole "Nightmare Before Christmas" theme. It looked cool from the outside, but the music was not spooky enough, and the decorations in the ride were a bit much. I don't understand why they replaced the Hitchhiking ghosts with Xmas Stockings, etc when they could have used characters from the movie. Then we headed for our 2:00 lunch reservation at the Blue Bayou. We were there about a half hour early and they wouldn't let us check in until 15 minutes before our time. After milling about some shops, we checked in, waited a bit, and got a waterside table! I hadn't even asked for one. I had the Monte Cristo, which was fantastic. After lunch we used our fast passes for Indiana Jones, which was now up and running, then back to the hotel, as the crowds were beginning to get very large. We both napped, and I woke up around 7 pm. My dad was showing no signs of getting back up, so after a bit, I went to the World of Disney to do some shopping. While I was there, I heard the first 'boom' from the fireworks, and a little kid whined "We're missing the fireworks!" I looked around a bit more, but decided to check out. The fireworks were still going on, so after a long wait in line, I rushed out hoping to catch a glimpse of the finale. Wouldn't you know that I just missed the end? :> When I went back to the hotel, Dad was finally awake, so I ordered room service, since we missed dinner.

The next day was Saturday, and I knew the crowds would be huge again, so we decided to take it easy. We got in the car and drove around the area a bit, so we would be more familiar with the surroundings. We had breakfast in Tiffy's restaurant... it was pretty bad. After driving around some more, we went back to the hotel. We had a reservation for the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour at 2:30, so that was basically all we did that day. They told me to check in at guest services 5-10 minutes before hand. I checked in a little early, and was glad I did, because they told me I had to go to the Guided Tours Building inside the park for the tour. The girl there took our orders for the lunch, and we waited for the tour to start. There were only 2 other people on our tour. As we headed down the Main Street part of the tour, a parade was about to begin. Our guide wanted to show us a window, so he opened the ropes, and the five of us stood in the middle of the street while all the parade watchers stared at us.. it felt weird. The Club 33 stuff was just too much. It was nice to see the lobby, but we spent way to much time there. I guess for celebrity watchers it would be cool, but I was bored with it. Along the way, we would occasionally pick up people who overheard the guide, and want to follow us, and he would have to brush them off.

On Sunday, 10/30, we went to Universal. We had breakfast at Coco's this time. It was much better. My dad, who prefers the shows to the rides, liked it alot. For me, it just lacked the magic. I did enjoy the studio tour though. We then drove to Hollywood, since I wanted to see Grauman's and the walk of fame. We had dinner at Downtown Disney in Restaurant di Napoli.. it was AWFUL. The service was horrible, and so was the pizza. The manager did take 1/2 off when he noticed I only ate the cheese off my pizza, but I would never go back there again. I had wanted to go to Storytellers, but my dad doesn't like buffets, so we never went there. :(

Monday was Halloween, and the weather was forcast for the upper 80s, so we went to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, since it was indoors. It was a small aquarium, so it only took us a few hours to do. After that, we drove by the Queen Mary, also in Long Beach. Then we just drove along the Pacific Coast Highway. I had never been to the west coast, so I wanted to go stick my feet in the ocean. We found a state beach, and paid $10 to park, while I got out, snapped a few pictures and walked down to the water. It was an extremely hot day, but the water was frigid. On the way back, we had lunch at Mimi's Cafe. I got the Chicken Pot Pie, which was so-so. My dad's pot roast was fantastic.. he couldn't finish it so I had some. :> After another nap, we headed into Disneyland for a few hours that evening. Buzz Lightyear had a 5 minute wait (It had been an hour on Friday), so we did that. Then we did Star Tours again. I wanted to do some Fantasyland rides, but I felt weird leaving my dad, although he didn't seem to mind it. He did want to do Peter Pan, so we went on that. After that we headed through the Castle intending to go through main street and out. Well, there was another parade on. My dad was walking a few steps ahead of me, and as I was figuring out how to get through the crowd, he fell. He's in good health, but he is 72 years old, so seeing him fall scared me. I rushed after him, and... did the exact same thing. The lighting was pretty dim, perhaps because of the parade, and we both fell off the curb. Thankfully, he was alright. He had a brush burn on his knee, so after the parade we went to first aid and they took care of it. My ankle felt a little strained, but not too bad. My digital camera was also damaged in the fall. It won't take any pictures while in flash mode. At first I thought it was the batteries, but no luck. At least it wasn't completely broken. We went back to the hotel and called it a night.

By Tuesday morning, however, I had developed a bruise on my right knee, a HUGE bruise on my left calf, and a very sore ankle. Five days later, after we got back home, when my foot swelled up and began to turn purple, I finally went to the emergency room and got x-rays, but all was 'normal'. I told them I had been on vacation in DL because I went about 2am on Saturday, and I didn't want them to think I'd been a drunk who fell. :> Since I mentioned I had flown, the doctor sent me for an ultrasound to make sure I wasn't developing a blood clot. That was normal too, thankfully. It's nearly two weeks since this happened, and I'm still bruised and limping slightly. Anyway, Tuesday's high was expected to be in the 90's, and it was HOT. We had planned to go to the Wild Animal Park and the San Diego Zoo, so we kept with that plan. I was limping badly, so we only did the train ride in the Wild Animal Park, and the Guided Bus Tour in the San Diego Zoo. We're hockey fans, so later that night, we went to see the Anaheim Might Ducks vs. Nashville Predators. Dinner was at the concession stands in Arrowhead Pond. :>

Wednesday was our last day, so we went to the California Adventure. My ankle was feeling much better. Still sore, but managable. I was actually a little disappointed it was feeling so good. If it had hurt like it did the day before, I was going to rent a motor chair. But I was feeling well enough that I couldn't justify it. We just took it easy. We had breakfast at the La Brea Bakery in DTD. Their quiche was delicious. We entered through the main gates, since it would be silly to go back to the hotel at that point. We went to Soarin' first. My dad loved that also. I have a mild fear of heights, and I clutched the hand holds for the entire ride. I was glad they dimmed the lights as they lifted you up, but we were in the front row, and I knew we were high. The first day in DL, when we went on Star Tours, I started to slide down under my seat belt, and I had visions of sliding like that on Soarin' and falling. :> I enjoyed it despite the sweaty palms. We then went to the Muppet 3D movie, and then on to the Aladdin show. I never went to one of these shows in Disney before, always prefering the rides. I guess I thought they were just people acting out the movies. But since my dad was a fan of the shows, this time I went. I was very impressed. It was an elaborate production that rivaled shows I've seen on broadway. From now on, I will make a point of seeing all the Disney shows. We skipped Tower of Terror (fear of heights again), and went to It's Tough to be a Bug. I'd been to it in the Animal Kingdom, but I either didn't notice or forgot that the stink bug has the same name as me! Although Claire deRoom does spell it differently than I do. :> We did the wine presentation thingie at the Golden Vine Winery, then had lunch in the Wine Country Trattoria. We went to see Golden Dreams, but decided to skip Paradise Pier. I wanted to go on Grizzly River Run, since Kali River Rapids is one of my favorite rides. When we got close though, I saw that incline, and my fear of heights started to kick in. I went into the shop next to the ride, and as we were heading back to the hotel, I decided I wanted to ride it. There was a family of four ahead of me.. they were the entire queue. I rode in the same raft with them, and they told me that all the cast members running the ride had been riding it since it had been so slow, which explained why they were all wet. :> I was glad I went on it, and I thought about going on it again since there was no line, but I didn't want to leave my dad waiting. We left via the GCH entrance, and back to the room for a rest. That night, we went to the Napa Rose for dinner. I was very disappointed. It was overrated. It was way too fancy, and I felt it spent too much time trying to be snooty. Maybe if I was a wine drinker I would have liked it.

Oh, I should mention that when we first arrived, we used self park, because I had heard on this board that valet was about $40/day. After two days of walking back and forth, my dad asked about valet, and was told that the $43/day fee was for people who were not guests of the hotel. For us, it would only be $12/day. So from that point on, we did valet. When we left on Thursday, my dad went to the window to pay, and they told him it would be on our hotel bill. When my dad told them it wasn't on our bill, they told us not to worry about it, so we ended up paying nothing (except tips) for the valet. Another good thing about the GCH.. my dad is a big guy, and the armchairs in the room were a bit too small for him. On our second day, He asked the maid if they had any armless chairs. Later that day, they brought another chair.. it had arms, but it was a much bigger chair. We later noticed that they had actually taken it from a small area near the elevators. Very nice thing for them to do. I never would have thought to ask. This is why I like staying at the on-site Disney hotels. :>

Anyway, that's it. I didn't get to do everything I'd hoped, and I've had my share of bruises, but I still had a great time. I probably won't get back there for a long time. Next time will be WDW again. If I'm still living, I might go back for the 100th. :>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter