• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ben and Jerry's Says to Store Ice Cream Upside Down?

You are also supposed to open potato chips from the bottom. That way the seasoning rains down on the chips instead of staying all at the bottom of the bag.

I wonder how many other things are better upside down?

Yeah, I read that BUT the big caveat is that it only helps if your ice cream is melted enough to sink to the bottom once you turn it over. Who lets their ice cream get THAT melted before putting it back in the freezer?

My solution is a simple piece of plastic wrap pressed down onto the ice cream surface.

You are also supposed to open potato chips from the bottom. That way the seasoning rains down on the chips instead of staying all at the bottom of the bag.

I wonder how many other things are better upside down?
I was taught by my mother to store cottage cheese upside down. Seems is helps keep the top sealed better against oxygen leaks.

They also say (on their factory tour) to microwave it for 10 seconds to scoop it easily. I find it also takes care of freezer burn.

What is this idea about it putting the container back in the freezer upside down? Please don’t tell me that I’m the only person who eats out of the container, only planning on eating half of it. Then you get halfway thru it and think “one more spoonful.” Next thing I know I’m 3/4’s of the way thru it and I figure “What the heck. Might at well finish it off now.”

Four servings per container - ha!

Well if I ever want to pay $16 a half gallon instead of $4 like Ice cream should cost, I'll remember to store it upside down.

If you eat "ice cream" that only costs $4 for a half gallon, you're eating mostly air and fillers/thickening agents.

There is a good reason why premium ice cream costs $$$. Vanilla ice cream should have no more than 5 ingredients: cream, milk, sugar, egg yolks (optional), vanilla. That's it.

I Vanilla ice cream should have no more than 5 ingredients: cream, milk, sugar, egg yolks (optional), vanilla. That's it.
Well that leaves Ben n Jerry's out. It has quite a bit more than that in it.
If you eat "ice cream" that only costs $4 for a half gallon, you're eating mostly air and fillers/thickening agents.
That $16 a half gallon Ben And Jerry's has much better guar Gum and carrageenan in it. Not like that cheap guar gum and carrageenan.

Last edited:
They also say (on their factory tour) to microwave it for 10 seconds to scoop it easily. I find it also takes care of freezer burn.

I have always microwaved my ice cream before scooping some out (and I have always gotten funny looks for it!) :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter