Benefits of a TA vs Booking Direct?

udflyer00

Mouseketeer
Our family is finally ready to get back onto a Disney Cruise in the summer of 2019. It's been quite a few years since our last cruise, but I'm trying to really remember the real benefits of booking through a TA vs just calling into DCL or online?? Is it just the stateroom credit? Which is great don't get me wrong, but just trying to sort things out. Can I book with DCL and then transfer to a TA later on?? Or do I need to book directly through the TA? Do they get lower prices??

If anyone has a moment to share I'd really appreciate it as tomorrow summer 2019 bookings open up for myself as a Silver Castaway Club member so this is a little time sensitive I guess... I don't want to miss getting a good room...

TIA,
Mark

Our family is finally ready to get back onto a Disney Cruise in the summer of 2019. It's been quite a few years since our last cruise, but I'm trying to really remember the real benefits of booking through a TA vs just calling into DCL or online?? Is it just the stateroom credit? Which is great don't get me wrong, but just trying to sort things out. Can I book with DCL and then transfer to a TA later on?? Or do I need to book directly through the TA? Do they get lower prices??

If anyone has a moment to share I'd really appreciate it as tomorrow summer 2019 bookings open up for myself as a Silver Castaway Club member so this is a little time sensitive I guess... I don't want to miss getting a good room...

TIA,
Mark
It all depends on what you want. Some people do not want to stay on hold for opening day and like having a TA take care of booking for them. We have been using Costco for our last four cruises to help offset the price increases by Disney. We still are on hold wih Costco and then Disney to make our reservation to get the exact room that we want. You can definitely call Disney directly tomorrow and then transfer within 30 days. Happy booking!

I use Dreams Unlimited for my TA for the onboard credit. It's also nice to have someone to email if you have questions. If you book through DU, you get the full onboard credit that they offer. If you transfer to them within 30 days or had an on board booking/placeholder, they give you half that amount of credit due to their reduced commission for those types of bookings.

From what I've read, Costco will give you a cashback card after your cruise, same amount if you book it directly with them or transfer to them within 30 days.

There is no difference in price between booking through DCL or a TA. It's just that you might get incentives from a TA.

It all depends on what you want. Some people do not want to stay on hold for opening day and like having a TA take care of booking for them. We have been using Costco for our last four cruises to help offset the price increases by Disney. We still are on hold wih Costco and then Disney to make our reservation to get the exact room that we want. You can definitely call Disney directly tomorrow and then transfer within 30 days. Happy booking!

Yep, this. I originally booked with a TA purely for the OBC, but now that I've got a placeholder and am paying attention to how opening day goes, I think the big benefit for me is going to be getting an opening day booking without having to spend opening day on the phone.

I have used Small World vacations for the personal service and OBC. We used the same person 2x she was fantastic!

I use a TA for DCL because she is willing to be the one who calls, etc. when I want to book or change something. I also use a TA for the OBC.

I book myself with DCL because I book on opening day and have a specific cabin I like to get.

Then I email them the transfer form to give the reservation to Costco for their cash card. Its the highest incentive I have ever seen. It works out to about 8.5% of the cruise cost.

My next 2 booked cruises come with a $1045 cash card!

I know TA's are protective of their business and tout their personalized service, etc but I dont see any reason to use anyone other than the one that will give me the best return on my costs.

I would call DCL as early as possible to get it booked. Then either call to get it transferred or fill out the form yourself and email it to DCL.

Yeah, the onboard credit is nice but I use a TA for other benefits. First is when booking new cruise itineraries (such as the latest 2019 dates) you don't have to wait on hold trying to get through with DCL but my primary reason for using a TA is that many times I'm not sure exactly what I want when selecting a future cruise so instead of doing multiple searches on the DCL website I give my TA all my parameters (dates, ship, destination, departure location, number of passengers, etc.) and I let them do the research for me and call my back with their findings at which point I review everything and make a selection. When I'm on a Disney Cruise I always either book a new cruise or make a place holder and have DCL transfer it to my TA. As far as if a TA can find lower prices all I can say is when I go on line at the DCL site to look at cruises and get a price when I call my TA to actually book it they seem to get me a lower price. Yeah, most times it's not a big difference but it's something.

Over the years I have becomes friends with my TA and they have done so many nice things for me and their other customers that it's a pleasure to work with them. It's also fun when they are on the same cruise as me because I usually get to spend time with them and discuss future cruises and what new things are coming our way (as far as cruises).

We book onboard (to get the discount and pick rooms) then immediately transfer the reservations (we need 2 rooms) to Costco Travel when we get home. PSA, that has to be done within 30 days of the booking or you cannot transfer.

This way we get the onboard credit, the lower deposit, the 10% discount AND the Costco Cash cards when we get back. Costco Travel is totally used to people doing this and they have a simple form they'll email you to get the ball rolling.

I agree with other posters. I use a TA for onboard credit and so I don't have to call in on opening day. My TA sends me the itineraries when they are released (usually within an hour or two of when they are posted on DIS) with a request sheet. I decide what I want and email the sheet back and she is ready on opening day. I'm gold and she had a booking confirmation DCL email to me at 9:44 am on Tues (opening day for Gold). This time I asked for a specific cabin # and she got it. I really don't understand why people choose not to use a TA. I am still able to book all the cruise activities/excursions online so I don't feel like I'm giving up any control.

ETA: I'm not a Costco shopper but they sound like they have a great incentives. Either way it just makes sense to use an outside agency if you can get onboard credit/shopping card. The price of the cruise is the same no matter how you book it.

Last edited:
I agree with other posters. I use a TA for onboard credit and so I don't have to call in on opening day. My TA sends me the itineraries when they are released (usually within an hour or two of when they are posted on DIS) with a request sheet. I decide what I want and email the sheet back and she is ready on opening day. I'm gold and she had a booking confirmation DCL email to me at 9:44 am on Tues (opening day for Gold). This time I asked for a specific cabin # and she got it. I really don't understand why people choose not to use a TA. I am still able to book all the cruise activities/excursions online so I don't feel like I'm giving up any control.

Speaking as someone who used to be anti-using a TA, I am someone who makes changes. A lot. I thought I would be bothering someone to be making changes all over the place - like Cabin Type, Cabin Number, Cruise, etc. But I used a TA for my WDW trip, and I had said something about the new itineraries for the last round of releases and she said she could do that for me. That, plus the fact that she is always willing to make any changes I want have convinced me.

And as I was typing, she texted and then called me. She was thinking I wanted to stay at the price I had currently and the cheapest was coming in over that. I asked if my deposit would cover it and she said yes. And some leftover. I had changed to the Feb Dream from a higher priced cruise, so I had more wiggle room. She is going to go at the highest category I can get with my current deposit and let me know. Whee!

Today is the first day I've used a TA for the Silver opening day and I'm so glad that I did because I looked at my Disney reservations at 9:30am EST and she had already put a hold on the cruises I was interested in where I've heard on the opening prices thread that a lot of people have been on hold for hours! Now I just have to wait for her e-mail with the prices.

Today is the first day I've used a TA for the Silver opening day and I'm so glad that I did because I looked at my Disney reservations at 9:30am EST and she had already put a hold on the cruises I was interested in where I've heard on the opening prices thread that a lot of people have been on hold for hours! Now I just have to wait for her e-mail with the prices.

Put a hold without a reservation set up?

Not likely.

Put a hold without a reservation set up?

Not likely.

If the TA had all the required information and the client's go-ahead, s/he most certainly could have put a hold on the cabin.

Mine had the go-ahead to transfer my February reservation to a new one from my list and let me know after the fact. It turns out she had forgotten that I'd initially booked a more expensive cruise than the Feb one and she called to see if I wanted to go higher than February because nothing was coming in at that. I explained that no, as long as the DEPOSIT did not increase, that what I'd paid would cover the new deposit, go for it. She got me a couple of categories higher.

Do you always get an on board credit along with the 10% off with a placeholder?

Not if its a "black out" date. There haven't been any noted for the most recent release but the 2-night cruises to nowhere and ones over holidays have frequently been blacked out.

I use Dreams Unlimited too. And you get the on board credit. And they call and wait on hold for hours, not me. And they know everything about Disney cruises and can answer questions. They send a gift basket in the mail before the cruise too so that’s a nice added touch too. I’m waiting to hear back about my cruise. I heard about how busy the phone lines are so I definitely appreciate her. Some people on Facebook were saying they were on hold for 7 hours today.

Our TA provides us with a nice OBC, takes care of our specific cabin requests, keeps us updated on any changes on the cruise, reminds us of payment dates, puts 48 hour holds on reservations (as she did today), along with other small extras. And every time we cruise, when we walk into our cabin on embarkation day there’s a gift for us from her (in addition to our castaway gift from DCL), which always makes a pleasant start for the trip.
We all have different needs but our TA meets almost every one of ours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter