• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bermuda?

kathi

DIS Veteran
I'm looking at a 5-night Bermuda cruise on the Magic out of NYC next month. We have never sailed (or been) to Bermuda. We have sailed to Canada 2 times out of NYC on the Magic. A few questions:

1) Typically, how rough is the water getting to the Island?

2) What is there to do in Bermuda in mid-October? Weather looks to be in the mid- to upper-70s.

3) We like to go to the beach (probably too cool) and hiking, nature trails.

4) We prefer to do things on our own and not be herded on tours. Is renting a car easy, reasonable, recommended?

5) What side of the ship is preferred?

Thank you!
K

Last edited:

Bermuda in October can be just beautiful. The ocean is your question mark depending on storms and the like. I have been when it is quiet and when the water in the pool is emptying it is so rough. Your best way around the island is the ferry and buses. St. George is a must see for me everytime. I love it there. It is worth the time and the trip. Rum Swizzle Inn is fun! And Tobacco Bay is a beautiful beach.

You may want to check to see what Bermuda's current COVID protocol is. We'll be on the transatlantic stopping there in about ten days, and we had to have testing (at our own expense) before we boarded and also on the boat before we arrive in Bermuda. On top of that, there's a $40 travel authorization that you'll need to get from the Bermuda government.

DH and I cruise DCL to Bermuda out of NYC in mid October 2018.
Weather was beautiful, water was a little cool but I went swimming. I think area temp was low 80s and water was about 78-79 degrees.

We took a shuttle to Horeshoe Bay Beach which is stunning. There are chair and umbrellas rentals, plus food and bar at entrance to beach. Just north of the swimming area are large rock formation with secret coves, and there is a cliff area where you can hike.

We also did a tour of the island, which took us to Saint George, Hamilton, a lighthouse and a few other stops. It was very good. That was thru DCL.

The Dockyard area has a lot of do and see, including a fort.

And as you heard, no car rental. Roads are twisting and narrow. You can rent mopeds, but we didn’t do it in 2002, because it looked scary.

There are also caves and an aquarium.

We flew to Bermuda for a vacation back in 2002, so it had been a while.

I love Bermuda. I would love to go back for a week or more.🚢✨💫👍🏻AED5775B-5437-4204-9DE6-47D91046F9BC.jpeg29A9E714-8120-43BA-9D50-A80B5392613D.jpegC12D3C4B-43F1-4542-96D8-812292D684DC.jpeg21F4CC4E-77EC-476F-96BF-84907205BBF8.jpeg0A3BDDF6-E2CA-4863-8886-1732E4D12246.jpeg3A9ED807-CE43-49CD-ACED-857150C4F47B.jpeg2AF6804E-BA2D-42B7-9695-4D72FA007F43.jpeg056E3360-5531-4C01-961A-E481325B1AB5.jpegFCC5867E-07A6-411A-833D-EE2B533FFDF2.jpeg

We also did Bermuda out of NYC in October 2018!

We did the Aquarium excursion through Disney which included a boat ride to the aquarium (I think it was this one). It was good for us with a small child because the aquarium had a playground. Honestly my favorite part was the boat ride and getting to hear a bit about Bermuda while getting nice views of the island. We also did the shuttle to Horseshoe Bay Beach. We were originally supposed to do shipwreck snorkeling which sounded amazing but it was canceled due to rough seas. I recall us having a lot of motion on the ship on our voyage home.

Bermuda was lovely - have an amazing time!

Weather was beautiful, water was a little cool but I went swimming. I think area temp was low 80s and water was about 78-79 degrees.
Temperature is subjective for sure. 78-79 degrees is pretty warm water for me. Outdoor pools here are heated to 72 in the winter for example.

When I did a Bermuda cruise (2004) it stopped in St George and then docked in Hamilton for 3 days. It was in June. There was a "block party" in front of the Hamilton dock on Wednesdays. Floats, vendors, food booths. It was great. The food on land was very expensive. We went to the Dockyards via the ferry boat. It was quick and easy. We were reminded onboard that on almost every cruise they have someone who rented mopeds get in a crash and seriously hurt (broken bones, stitches). We were asked not to rent one.

Bermuda is a wonderful island. Lots to see and do. There were more things we wanted to accomplish on our 4 days there. We were on an excursion the final morning and we had an all aboard at 11:30 for a noon departure. Our excursion guide decided to show us more of the island than was scheduled and we didn't make it back until after noon. Since it was a cruise line excursion they waited but hustled us on board quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter