Best 2 BR or Larger for the Money

DisneyDoesMyHair

Mouseketeer
We will be returning to Disney World in 2021 with family, a total of four adults and two children (6 and 12). We had a wonderful experience renting points on our last trip with studio villas for our family of four, but with the larger group going this time we need more space. Any suggestions for the best bang for our buck on our next trip? The two adults going with us will be on their first trip to Disney and we want to make it relaxing and special.

OKW GV. By far the best bang for the buck that would give both sets of adults a bedroom and the kids their own bedroom.

2 studios will be fewer points than 2BR's at the same resort.

For 2BR's a standard view at Kidani gives you 2BR's plus 3 full bathroom - 1 in each bedroom and 1 for anyone sleeping in the living area. OKW and SSR standard view 2 BR's are low points w/2 bathrooms. All suggestions that should be pretty easy to be booked at 11 months. Here's a link to a point calculator so you can input your dates and see what point requirements are for different locations. http://tagrel.com/util/dvcCalculator.php

For 2BR's a standard view at Kidani gives you 2BR's plus 3 full bathroom - 1 in each bedroom and 1 for anyone sleeping in the living area. OKW and SSR standard view 2 BR's are low points w/2 bathrooms. All suggestions that should be pretty easy to be booked at 11 months. Here's a link to a point calculator so you can input your dates and see what point requirements are for different locations. http://tagrel.com/util/dvcCalculator.php

Depending on the vibe you are looking for, BLT might be a good choice too. With 6 and 12 year old kids, it might also depend on what they prefer. For the adults who are going for the first time, there is still something cool about the Contemporary, being able to see some of MK from most of the even numbered rooms. TOTWL and California Grill are pretty awesome too.

Are the kids yours or theirs? If yours, and you think you could have the kids sleep in the LR, a 2BR lockoff might be nice for the other adults. Their bedroom would feel larger and more private, because then they could keep the couch closed as a couch.

I consider the AKV Kidani and BLT 2BRs to be the ideal 2BR choice when we have 6 and thus some in the living room. you get the third bathroom for those in the living room, the sleeper chair which is actually twin size instead of those smaller murphies at some other resorts, and both have larger 2BRs than BWV, BCV, BRV, and CCV

OKW and SSR will almost always be the cheapest but for just a view points more standard view 2 bedrooms at AKV and BWV are great deals.
I like the look of the AKV more than OKW and SSR, and we stayed at AKV studio a few weeks ago. The resort is amazing! But, you can’t beat the prices on OKW and SSR. Having never stayed there, or seen those resorts in person, makes me nervous.

OKW GV. By far the best bang for the buck that would give both sets of adults a bedroom and the kids their own bedroom.

2 studios will be fewer points than 2BR's at the same resort.

Thank you for such a detailed answer! I am really leaning toward AKV, just because our last stay in the studios was amazing. Love the resort, love the vibe...not crazy about the long bus rides. I was considering OKW GV, as well. I’ve never stayed at this resort, so I am nervous our crew would miss the pool, animal views, and great food at AKV. How hard is it to book the OKW GV? Is OKW a gem, and I’m just being silly not booking here?

Depending on the vibe you are looking for, BLT might be a good choice too. With 6 and 12 year old kids, it might also depend on what they prefer. For the adults who are going for the first time, there is still something cool about the Contemporary, being able to see some of MK from most of the even numbered rooms. TOTWL and California Grill are pretty awesome too.

Are the kids yours or theirs? If yours, and you think you could have the kids sleep in the LR, a 2BR lockoff might be nice for the other adults. Their bedroom would feel larger and more private, because then they could keep the couch closed as a couch.
Hi, I hadn’t really considered the Contemporary! We visited here for Chef Mickeys during our last trip, and it has a cool vibe, but VERY busy. I love the proximity to MK, which is where we will focus much of our park time on our next trip. The kids our ours. Our oldest slept on the pullout in our studio on our last trip to AKV and BRV, and she said it was very comfortable. I don’t think the kids would mind sharing the LR.

I consider the AKV Kidani and BLT 2BRs to be the ideal 2BR choice when we have 6 and thus some in the living room. you get the third bathroom for those in the living room, the sleeper chair which is actually twin size instead of those smaller murphies at some other resorts, and both have larger 2BRs than BWV, BCV, BRV, and CCV
I am really leaning toward the AKV 2BR, mainly because we loved our resort during our stay in the studio last time. Also, I watched videos online of a walkthrough, and the layout is nice and everything looks updated. The thought of having 3 bathrooms seems like such a luxury when you have six people trying to get ready and out the door to rope drop!

When can I book my 2021 dates? I tried to find a calculator for this online, and I am sure there is one somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it. Will the 2BR and GV go quick?

I am really leaning toward the AKV 2BR, mainly because we loved our resort during our stay in the studio last time. Also, I watched videos online of a walkthrough, and the layout is nice and everything looks updated. The thought of having 3 bathrooms seems like such a luxury when you have six people trying to get ready and out the door to rope drop!

I believe you need to have Kidani to get 3 bathrooms. Jambo doesn't get you there. Also, if you decide on AKV, get the dedicated 2 BR, so you have 3 real beds. The lock-off has two real beds and 2 sofa beds (I believe).

When can I book my 2021 dates? I tried to find a calculator for this online, and I am sure there is one somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it. Will the 2BR and GV go quick?

You can book them 11 months from the date of check-in.

Last edited:

Owners of a resort can start booking online at 8 a.m. eastern, 11 months out from date of arrival; if you want a non-owned DVC resort it is 7-months out from date of arrival. As to the difficulty of getting a 2BR or GV, it is easy to do so if you book online right at 11 months out except for the OKW GV's in the near Hospitality House booking categories, which very often disappears right at 8 a.m. 11 months out. Also BWV standard view 2BRs, AKV value 2BRs, and AKV club level 2BRs often disappear right at 8 a.m. at 11 months out. Also, if considering resorts other than WDW, the same happens with the Aulani standard view GV's.

As to 7-months out at WDW, it can be difficult year-round for BWV GV's, and BWV standard or boardwalk view 2BRs, . Moreover, others are usually difficult during DVC's high demand season from late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan, except that SSR 2BRs are usually open, and SSR GV's can often be found for some of the times during that season, and less so AKV Kidani savanna view and OKW 2BRs. During the low to moderate demand season from the Monday after marathon weekend in Jan to late Sep, AKV Kidani, VGF, and SSR GV's are usually open. OKW (non-Hospitality House) and BLT Lake View GVs are open about 60% of the time, and BLT Theme Park view GV's about 40% of the time, while Jambo GVs less than 30% of the time. As to 2BRs, BWV pool/garden, VFG, BLT Lake View, BRV, and AKV Kidani, SSR and OKW are usually open. BLT theme park view about 70% of the time. AKV Jambo and BCV are often difficult.

Last edited:
I believe you need to have Kidani to get 3 bathrooms. Jambo doesn't get you there. Also, if you decide on AKV, get the dedicated 2 BR, so you have 3 real beds. The lock-off has two real beds and 2 sofa beds (I believe).

You can book them 11 months from the date of check-in.
Thank you for the tip on the dedicated 2BR. I don’t want to pay same amount for sofas, if we can get two beds and a sofa.

Owners of a resort can start booking online at 8 a.m. eastern, 11 months out from date of arrival; if you want a non-owned DVC resort it is 7-months out from date of arrival. As to the difficulty of getting a 2BR or GV, it is easy to do so if you book online right at 11 months out except for the OKW GV's in the near Hospitality House booking categories, which very often disappears right at 8 a.m. 11 months out. Also BWV standard view 2BRs, AKV value 2BRs, and AKV club level 2BRs often disappear right at 8 a.m. at 11 months out. Also, if considering resorts other than WDW, the same happens with the Aulani standard view GV's.

As to 7-months out at WDW, it can be difficult year-round for BWV GV's, and BWV standard or boardwalk view 2BRs, . Moreover, others are usually difficult during DVC's high demand season from late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan, except that SSR 2BRs are usually open, and SSR GV's can often be found for some of the times during that season, and less so AKV Kidani savanna view and OKW 2BRs. During the low to moderate demand season from the Monday after marathon weekend in Jan to late Sep, AKV Kidani, VGF, and SSR GV's are usually open. OKW (non-Hospitality House) and BLT Lake View GVs are open about 60% of the time, and BLT Theme Park view GV's about 40% of the time, while Jambo GVs less than 30% of the time. As to 2BRs, BWV pool/garden, VFG, BLT Lake View, BRV, and AKV Kidani, SSR and OKW are usually open. BLT theme park view about 70% of the time. AKV Jambo and BCV are often difficult.
Wow, thank you so much for the info. It looks like my best bet for the lower point GV is 11 months out and a little luck. I can start making my timeline now that I have a better idea of when to book in the Spring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter