Best Accessible Hotel

PrincessTrisha

DIS Veteran
Right now I've booked the DLH for my parents and I in November. I'm concerned about the size of the rooms and the "walk" from the hotel to the parks since my mom is in a manual wheelchair.

We'll be pushing all day and am concerned about the walk back at night. I was originally counting on the monorail but from what I've read, it's pretty hit or miss.

Does anyone have any experience with this? We'll have a rental car but I'd rather not have to have my mom transfer in and out constantly and I really don't want to deal with the parking lot / tram / van situation if at all possible.

Any suggestions / help would be appreciated - especially from anyone who's been there, done that.

My mom's chair is slightly larger than a "regular" wheelchair and is 26" in width.

I would consider staying at the Tropicanna or BWPPI as they are closer than DLH by some way, for the price of the DLH you could get a suite...

Well, it's all flat. It shouldn't really be a problem. BWPPI probably would be closer, though.

Is there any chance she would like to "upgrade" to an ECV for her trip? There are posts a few days back about off-site ECV rental companies that are less $$ than renting one at the parks, and you can scoot yourself back to your hotel, too.

We stayed at DLH two years ago with my mother-in-law along. We rented an electric wheelchair for her. Plenty of space in the room for the chair. It was a handicap accessible room. We have also stayed at BWPPI in a handicap room. Also plenty of space for ECV or wheelchair. The BWPPI is closer to entrance to DL. Also, if you need to request a handicap accessible room and need a walk-in or roll-in shower, you need to specify that when making the request. They always say it is not guaranteed but we have never had a problem getting a handicap room.

All doors are inot and inside ADA rooms are wider and will accommodate a wheelchair or evc. I have stayed PP and DL in ADA rooms. Most if not all by now have King beds --no doubles or double queens. This is true of HOJO also so u may need to get a rollaway or two -- but that is going to make quarters closer. Best is to call and ask each resort for a room config. It might be closer to stay at a hotel accross from the main entrance. It will be closer then PP and DLH. To be as close as possible GC is the resort to check out. I have not stayed there so am unaware of the Handicapped rooms.

Being Just my husband and myself last trip we stayed at HOJO. Plenty of room for parking his evc to recharges each each night. The bath room was plenty big-- the only issue is it was a tub with a ledge that made into a chair. this was not good for husband :(. The toilet does sit higher then regular. It would be about the same distance to push as to get to PP or DLH as you would to go to HOJO. Getting two rooms maybe be needed at HOJO as the issue of one king bed is what the ADA rooms have. (That is according to all the information I have.). It is a wonderful hotel -- Hope this helps.

Happy planning

My mom only has the use of one hand right now. She's regained some of the arm movement but the hand is slow coming along. From what I remember of the ECV's (we rented them at WDW before the stroke since my mom has a bad leg from a long ago car accident) you really do need the two hands to handle them properly.

The King bed rooms is my biggest problem since there are 3 of us. Are there any hotels in the area that offer a different configuration for accessible rooms?

With jsut 3 ppl you should be fine. you need to ask for a room ADA with a daybed or sofa. Also a rollaway is an option -- they are pretty comfy---or so I hear --moms get the bed. But having the daybed would be great-- nice place to sit and relax. I think you will be fine --I originally thought there would be 4 ppl.

My mom only has the use of one hand right now. She's regained some of the arm movement but the hand is slow coming along. From what I remember of the ECV's (we rented them at WDW before the stroke since my mom has a bad leg from a long ago car accident) you really do need the two hands to handle them properly.
::yes::
You do need both hands

You might want to look into an electric wheelchair. That is actually what we rented for my mother-in-law two years ago. There is a joystick on one arm of chair, so you only need one hand to use. We rented from Alan's Wheelchairs (714) 870-9840.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter