Best advice for avoiding rope drop madness at Hollywood Studios?

That all makes sense. Remember, I’m talking about arriving 60 minutes before Rope Drop rather than 30 minutes or 5 minutes. If your group finds that an extra 30-60 minutes in your room makes your trip relaxing than I agree that Rope Drop isn’t for you.
For me, I find my day more relaxing once I’ve hit the ‘must-do’ attractions on our list. From that point on it’s all bonus- crowds, lines, weather, MDE, ride closures, transportation delays, are all easier to deal with.
Again, different strategies for different people.

I agree. I'm admittedly a morning person, so while I enjoy lingering over coffee, sleeping in just isn't something my body can do. So I enjoy the excitement of early mornings at the park- and then once I've knocked some things off my list, I can enjoy slowing down. The way I'm wired, having a strategy and contingency plans turning around in my head for later in the day makes it nearly impossible for me to relax earlier!

I know they tend to inflate wait times at close to discourage people from joining the line. I’ve often wondered if they do the same thing at rope drop. We prefer the evening because we like the parks lit up with lights and you don’t usually have to worry about sunscreen. The last hour of the parks is my favorite. We are going to do some EMH in March. I’ve never actually gotten to the parks early enough for that because my ex husband liked to sleep in and he moved as slow as molasses getting ready. I think my fiancé and I will tour together better.

@tinkerbelletreasure When I was there 2 weeks ago, I noticed they did the inflated wait times at rope drop too with some of the big rides- it said 30 minute wait for TSMM when I walked on but I only waited 5 minutes.

Go the opposite way. We went to RnRC first and rode 3 times in about 15 minutes. Then over to ToT. Have FP+ for one TSL ride. Ride rest of TSL with additional FP+ (AS2 and TSM were pretty easy to grab) or ride the rest of the TSL rides at night with lower wait times.

And RD for me is arriving within 5-10 minutes of opening. I'm not standing around for an hour.

Ride rest of TSL with additional FP+ (AS2 and TSM were pretty easy to grab)

You were able to grab AS2 and TSM for 4th and 5th FP options? What was your party size and was it a really slow day? I was able to use refresh method at MK fairly easily but we haven't been to HS in years so I have no idea what to expect and don't want to have my expectations set too high after the photos of TSL crowds I have seen!!

You were able to grab AS2 and TSM for 4th and 5th FP options? What was your party size and was it a really slow day? I was able to use refresh method at MK fairly easily but we haven't been to HS in years so I have no idea what to expect and don't want to have my expectations set too high after the photos of TSL crowds I have seen!!

We haven't tried for AS2, as last time we were there was opening day for TSL. However, TSM is never that hard to get as a 4th FP+ any time of year. We've done it summer and during Xmas. It's also a walk on ride after 8:30pm.

Go the opposite way. We went to RnRC first and rode 3 times in about 15 minutes. Then over to ToT. Have FP+ for one TSL ride. Ride rest of TSL with additional FP+ (AS2 and TSM were pretty easy to grab) or ride the rest of the TSL rides at night with lower wait times.

And RD for me is arriving within 5-10 minutes of opening. I'm not standing around for an hour.

Yep this is good advice. When we rope drop we don't head for the main headliner. That allows you to arrive later and not be pushed into the chaos.

We haven't tried for AS2, as last time we were there was opening day for TSL. However, TSM is never that hard to get as a 4th FP+ any time of year. We've done it summer and during Xmas. It's also a walk on ride after 8:30pm.

Sometimes you don't even have to wait that late for TSM to be a walkon. Last June, when were over there around 7:15 pm on a weekday evening. The posted wait was 70 minutes but you could tell be the amount of people milling around that it wouldn't be anywhere near that long.

We were on in 3 minutes. When we came back around to ride again the posted wait had dropped to 35 so I guess they were trying.

Just a question. How is waiting in line at RD for an hour or so saving you any time? Arn't you still waiting an hour for the ride, even though you walk right on after rope drop? If you show up after rope drop and walk in and go to SDD and wait an hour isn't that about the same thing?

Because the time spent before the park opens doesnt force you to miss out anything (except maybe some sleep).

Its not that arriving for rope drop saves you time waiting, its that it saves you time that could be spent doing something else.

It was 2 of us during jersey week. I saw both pop up. We are more into ToT and RnRc so never grabbed the TSL rides. But late at night times are overly inflated. You can ride with really short waits at night.

I thouht about to RNR first, but if TSL opens 15 minutes early, it seems it would be good to ride those rides rather than wait 15 minutes for the rest of the attractions to open.

I thouht about to RNR first, but if TSL opens 15 minutes early, it seems it would be good to ride those rides rather than wait 15 minutes for the rest of the attractions to open.
If you have a FP for SDD, don't really care about Alien Swirling Saucers I think this is currently the best strategy. Knock out RNR and ToT a couple of times then head to TSL later in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter