Best affordable birthday cake/cupcakes at Disney World?

We will be in Disney World during my daughter's 8th birthday. We are on a budget and don't want to get a $40 Mickey celebration cake or a $100 custom cake from the bakeries. Where is the best place in Magic Kingdom or All Star Music to get special cupcakes or a small cake? We will have 4 people. Alternatively, would a local supermarket/Walmart deliver a small cake to our resort? Thanks.

Unfortunately the least expensive birthday cake is about 35$. Cupcakes are the way to go when you have less than 6 people, though they're still typically 6$ per cupcake.

I would recommend the little mermaid cupcake at art of animation if you can get there, but the main street confectionary in Magic Kingdom has a bakery with good dessert options. Not sure on cupcake selection, but you can start a mobile order in the app to see all the options.

The big top souvenirs also has or had a bakery that was really good. Not sure if the bakery is still available, but if so, I'd go there

It used to be that several restaurants gave a special birthday cupcake when the birthday was noted on the ADR. Is that still the case?

It used to be that several restaurants gave a special birthday cupcake when the birthday was noted on the ADR. Is that still the case?
When you check in for your ADR on the app, it gives you the option checking a box for different celebrations.... birthday, anniversary, etc.. However, there is a little note underneath that says something about "no complimentary dessert". We were there for my son's birthday two weeks ago and despite checking the 'celebrating a birthday' box on the app for multiple different reservations, none of our servers acknowledged it. I asked if they could do a candle or anything on our dessert at Liberty Tree Tavern, and that was a no.

We did end up getting the Mickey Celebration Cake at the pool that night from CBR and it was delicious. If you end up going that route it would probably be just right for 4 people. If not, there are special cupcakes at Main Street Confectionary in MK or you can mobile order at All-Star Music. If you log in to the app you can pretend to do a mobile order and then cancel if you want to see what's available. It looks like they have a Cookies 'n' Cream Sundae Cupcake for $5.79 available now that's very cute!

If you open the Disney app, you can do a search for Cupcake. When the list of restaurants and bakeries comes up, you can tap on a restaurant/bakery then tap on the menu to see what the cupcake is, and what the price is.

If you look at some of the grocery delivery threads, you can get an idea of which grocery stores people use for delivery to Disney hotels. I don't know if it would be cost-effective if all you want is a cake. If you want other stuff, it might work out. I've seen Walmart. I'm not sure about Publix. Sometimes those threads are on the Resort forum, but sometimes they are on the DVC forums.

There is a facebook group which I think is called Ear For Each Other. Castmembers used it to get freelance work when they were laid off during the pandemic. You might find a castmember or former castmember who would bake a cake or cupcakes and deliver them to your hotel.

When I went last year for my birthday, and I checked the celebration box, only 2 restaurants did something extra. Be our guest brought out a plate of the gray stuff in a Mickey head shape and Topolinos gave me a little chocolate piece or something like that. The gray stuff was pretty great! Lol. But they didn't bring for the whole family.

If you log in to the app you can pretend to do a mobile order and then cancel if you want to see what's available. It looks like they have a Cookies 'n' Cream Sundae Cupcake for $5.79 available now that's very cute!
Don't know why I didn't look at ASM Mobile Order, but yes, the Mickey Cookies and Cream is pretty good too, though parts of it were rather thick and was better after allowing to reach room temp as it was stored in a refrigerator. Plus they have the 50th anniversary cheesecake there, which the adults may enjoy more than the cupcake and nearly the same price. 😁

When you check in for your ADR on the app, it gives you the option checking a box for different celebrations.... birthday, anniversary, etc.. However, there is a little note underneath that says something about "no complimentary dessert". We were there for my son's birthday two weeks ago and despite checking the 'celebrating a birthday' box on the app for multiple different reservations, none of our servers acknowledged it. I asked if they could do a candle or anything on our dessert at Liberty Tree Tavern, and that was a no.

We did end up getting the Mickey Celebration Cake at the pool that night from CBR and it was delicious. If you end up going that route it would probably be just right for 4 people. If not, there are special cupcakes at Main Street Confectionary in MK or you can mobile order at All-Star Music. If you log in to the app you can pretend to do a mobile order and then cancel if you want to see what's available. It looks like they have a Cookies 'n' Cream Sundae Cupcake for $5.79 available now that's very cute!
That's disappointing to hear about Liberty Tree Tavern. That's where my daughter wants to go for her birthday lunch.
If you open the Disney app, you can do a search for Cupcake. When the list of restaurants and bakeries comes up, you can tap on a restaurant/bakery then tap on the menu to see what the cupcake is, and what the price is.

If you look at some of the grocery delivery threads, you can get an idea of which grocery stores people use for delivery to Disney hotels. I don't know if it would be cost-effective if all you want is a cake. If you want other stuff, it might work out. I've seen Walmart. I'm not sure about Publix. Sometimes those threads are on the Resort forum, but sometimes they are on the DVC forums.

There is a facebook group which I think is called Ear For Each Other. Castmembers used it to get freelance work when they were laid off during the pandemic. You might find a castmember or former castmember who would bake a cake or cupcakes and deliver them to your hotel.
Great tips, thank you!

Must it be a cake or cupcake? If not, gifts candy kitchen with the design your own treat might be unique and fun. I also happen to think they are delicious.

Several thoughts:
- Can you bring a 4-pack of cupcakes from home /enjoy them in your room or by the pool? My family is kinda addicted to the Walmart 4-packs of "filled" cupcakes; my favorite is strawberry shortcake, but my family prefers chocolate. They're about $5 for four.
- Have you ever baked cake in a Mason jar? It's kinda different and cool, and you can easily bring a couple of them in your suitcase.
- Will you have a microwave in your room? Pick up a couple packs of those cake-in-a-mugs. They're nothing special, but my kids loved them when they lived in the dorms.
- Maybe bring candles/lighter from home and pop them into a Disney-purchased cupcake.

We got cupcakes for my birthday last year at the Screen Door General Store on the Boardwalk. They cost $6, but are big enough to share. (Pics in link, below.) They also have some nearby at the Boardwalk Bakery, same size.

My dinner was a (reasonably priced) pizza from the pizza window there, and we brought wine coolers with us, as well. At sunset. It was really fun! We’d celebrated DH’s birthday two nights before at ‘Ohana and I wanted something different.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2019...loween-celebrations-ice-cream-tacos-and-more/

(Ample Hills I think is closed.)

We will be in Disney World during my daughter's 8th birthday. We are on a budget and don't want to get a $40 Mickey celebration cake or a $100 custom cake from the bakeries. Where is the best place in Magic Kingdom or All Star Music to get special cupcakes or a small cake? We will have 4 people. Alternatively, would a local supermarket/Walmart deliver a small cake to our resort? Thanks.
Whole Foods delivers… you’ll need to give them a 2hr window where you’ll be able to meet up them.

I second Ear For Each Other. There are some amazingly talented bakers that sell birthday cakes at a reasonable price. I’m turning 50 at Disney next week, and my DH ordered a custom cake for me from the Ear For Each Other Facebook group. We also ordered a breakfast box from another baker in the group for delivery to our resort.

Amorette’s in DS has petite cakes that are about $15-20. They aren’t specifically birthday themed but are perfect for 4 servings with no leftovers.

It depends on the restaurant and the server. I didn't note my birthday on any ADRs, but I wore a birthday pin on my last trip (about a year ago). I was given a free dessert at San Angel Inn, Tiffins, and the Wave Lounge. Not a dessert off the menu - a little ice cream at SAI, a cookie and candies at Tiffins, and a little cupcake at the Wave.

I wasn't even wearing the pin at the Wave, but the server carded me for our drink order and noticed it was my birthday week (it was three days after my actual birthday).

I wonder if the issue is the candles. Maybe they don't like an open flame in the restaurant.

It can't hurt to get a quote from one of the resort bakeries (check out the Cake Chatter thread). Anything heavily decorated would get pricey, but more basic 6" cakes could fit your budget. An alternative is Publix, at least if you're able to go offsite. People seem to love their frosting and it would be cheaper than an onsite cake.

Publix does deliver. Their bakery does fabulous tasty cakes at half the price of the ones on property. They also do cakes made out of cupcakes. We have gotten bday cakes there for years. (8 in $35)92C06C61-7BC2-4760-A179-899AB6AE7F40.jpeg
Just register on their site I think the first delivery is free and they go to Disney resorts. Www.Publix.com

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter