Best age for child's first visit to WDW? Poll Inside!

Best age for child's first visit to WDW?

• 1 year old

Votes: 22 6.6%
  • 2 years old

Votes: 51 15.4%
  • 3 years old

Votes: 35 10.6%
  • 4 years old

Votes: 67 20.2%
  • 5 years old

Votes: 91 27.5%
  • 6 years old

Votes: 31 9.4%
  • 7 years old

Votes: 22 6.6%
  • 8 years old

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 9 years old

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 10+ years old

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters
I say 3 years old. My daughter was 11 the first trip we made. When my son was born, she was graduating so for that trip he was only 6 months and was good the entire time. He got lots of attention from the princesses of course, but the trip was mainly about my daughter. This past summer we went when he was 3.5 and he had an absolutely wonderful time. Yes, there were a couple of meltdowns, but nothing I don't deal with daily anyway. Toddlers are so dramatic. But seeing him absolutely light up when the characters came by at our tables and hug them so tight and talk to them was just amazing to watch. Then we met King Louie and Baloo at AK and he hugged King Louie for at least a minute and wouldn't let him go. Baloo made a big deal out of it, so he went and hugged him too then they began to dance with him. It was one of my favorite memories. He still remembers the rides he could ride and all the characters and even some of the restaurants. He loves looking at the pictures and talking about it. We are going back during Easter/Spring Break and he'll be 4 and I know he'll love it just as much and remember even more.

I need an "other" option!

Is this a one-and-done trip? In that case, 9 might be a very good age. Depending on the child...

Is this a "Mom and Dad have APs and we go multiple times a year"? Then heck, the child will probably still be in utero for their first trip!

And then there's the child themselves... are they into make-believe? Extreme coasters? Do they get overwhelmed by crowds and noise? Are they very serious? Sensitive? Tough-as-nails? Goofballs? Striving to be taken seriously and want to be treated like a grown up? One child's "best age" might be completely different from another child's "best age".

I can't just pick an age! :rotfl2:

We went for the first time when the girls were 2.5 and 5. I wanted to take our oldest while she still believed in the magic. We had a great time with the princesses and characters. They are much older now, but we still enjoy each time and they look forward to each trip.

If it going to be a one and done or multiple trips? I took my daughter at 5 for our 1st trip and the magic was real to her. I hear people say don't take infants but some friends of mine went last year when their daughter was 1 and my friend said he was wrong and his wife was right. Seeing her face when she saw all of her character friends was so worth it. She won't remember it but they will (and they are already planning a return trip when she turns 3.

I've taken my kids at many different ages but I must say the trip we took when DD was 5 1/2 was extra special. It was that sweet spot.

I voted with 5 years old for a few reasons:
1. At 5 they are likely going to remember some of the trip -- any younger and they are so in the moment that they forget what they did last week ore even yesterday.
2. Their endurance to travel the park without a stroller is going to be better.
3. At this age they likely have not started school or will only be in kindergarten -- they can miss a few days and not be behind in school like an older child.
5. At this age they will hopefully be tall enough to ride many of the rides.
6. At this age things easily amaze and excite them and they can better appreciate the magic. Meeting Mickey at 5 years old might be less frightening than when they were 2 or 3.

Other factors depend on family make up -- some younger kids might just be tagging along because their sibling is older, you might be trying to plan a trip with grandparents, that if you wait another 3 years, they might not be able to physically handle the trip.

We had a trip planned for my family of 5 DH, myself, at the time 9 year old twin boys and our 18 month old daughter. Up until a few weeks before the trip DD was going with us until my in laws insisted they watch her. I am so thankful that she stayed home with them. We were able tackle the parks and see and do everything we wanted with our older boys. DD was a rather difficult irritable baby so i was very worried about being on a plane with her and navigating the parks and our time with her. Would she have enjoyed the trip -- maybe a few small parts. Would she have remembered it? not at all. So we made the right decision and we are thoroughly excited to have our first trip with her coming up in April when she will be almost 5, she is tall (95%) and will likely reach the 44" mark for many of the rides.

I was 5 when my family went to Disney for the first time and i still remember how magical it was. We took my niece when she was 3 and she still talks about it like it was yesterday. I can't believe she still remembers but you can literally see her eyes sparkle when she talks about magic kingdom. now we take her once a year so she can have new memories.

My daughter turns 3 on 1/30, we are spending her birthday there for her 4th trip. her first being at about 10 months. Each trip has different memories, and if we ask her about her last two trips she recites many of the things we did. She may not remember certain details as she gets older, but we will never forget the memories we made from these trips.

It's a great topic but too many variables for me to answer. It depends a lot on what the individual child is like and what the adults feel like they can handle. We began taking our twin DDs when they were 18 months old and they always had a good time, but I think some of the best trips were when they were old enough to be a bit more independent. When they were old enough for bathroom breaks without us and make some menu choices at the restaurants I think everyone was having a great time.

We are leaving this weekend for our second and probably last Disney trip as there are so many other places we'd like to visit. Our first trip the kids were 5 and and 8 now they're almost 11 and 13. My son remembers the first trip but my daughter does not. This trip they will both be able to remember it. If you can go often, I'd say younger, but if you're only going a handle of times, I'd wait for them to be older so they can remember it and be able to look back on it.

Everyone is different, but since I now find myself within driving distance (9 hours) of WDW, I took a gamble on some short trips with my young son. When you can drive, there is probably less hassle than planning a huge trip to make the flight cost worth it.

I had my doubts about taking a toddler, (what can he go on, what about naps, what about the weather, what about those long days?) but we had a group of friends (with slightly older kids) going to WDW in the fall of 2014 and renting a giant condo and we wanted to join them. So we took my son when he was 2 and we loved it so much we went again on right before his 3rd birthday with his cousins. Both trips were only two park days each so as to not "push" it. It was affordable, but still magical (even though so short).

I was encouraged to go BECAUSE the price is right (free under 3). To me there is less sense of "waste" if you aren't paying for the child. Plus if you hit the buffet meals, they get a decent meal with a wide variety of choices (for free).

I mean . .we made some sacrifices of course. This wasn't a "big" trip in any sense. My wife and I didn't hit the big rides, we got Fast Passes for inefficient things just to skip ANY line possible, we did character meals to avoid standing in line to see characters (and that helped as well since the characters come to you). It was about letting my son experience the Magic (and we knew we'd be back).

Heck .. these trips went so well, we went back again this March with an even YOUNGER child - when my daughter was only 5 months old. This trip was another friend trip, so it was mainly for my son (4 yo at the time) to go to the parks with his best friend and their family. We pushed it this time .. two park days and a day at LEGOLAND, but even with a 5 mo, it was a great trip. Again .. sacrifices had to be made (rides skipped by one adult or the other, leaving before the night shows, skipping a park (AK), etc.).

All three trips were such great fun and relative ease that we'll be going back again (probably in a year) once my daughter is 2 (my son will be 6), so she can have a similar experience and actually enjoy the rides and characters. Though this time, we'll probably go on a longer trip (3 park days) since we know how to handle it and my son will be older and want to do more.

Basically I would encourage ANY family to take a child sometime before 3 to take advantage of the price of admission being free. The cost savings is tremendous. Do what I did and go ON your child's birthday so they are as old as possible --as long as you check in before the child turn's 3 .. they are considered "2" for the entire trip (and makes it a fun celebration).

There's no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. There are just too many variables. Every person is going to be somewhat different, and there really isn't any way to answer this without including our personal experiences.

If it matters, I've been going to WDW for over 40 years. Some trips are great, others were not as great. It didn't really matter what age I was.

I've also visited WDW with adults and children of all ages. Age wasn't really important.

If you want to see what I mean, try flipping your question around:

What is the best age for your FINAL trip to WDW?

My oldest daughter was 5 our first trip.
my oldest son was 2 or 3..

The twins were barely 6 months.

These were all separate trips.. i think 5 is ideal.. they really remember things better and get to do more at 5... still 2 or 3 is wonderful for parents because there is nothing like the joy you see in your child eyes when they are at Disney....

Obviously taking the twins at 6 months was too young for them to get much out of it.. plus its a burden on at least one of the parents to stay back while the older kids and 1 parent go on some rides... but the rider swap pass was a nice perk.... the older kids loved the rider swap pass.

Voted 3 yrs, but i dont have kids yet so maybe a different perspective.

I can't imagine pushing a stroller around MK on a busy day, holy moly. It's like a parking lot of strollers in Fantasyland, and im hopping out of everyones way already!

I guess it depends if you want them to remember the trip or not!
This question often gets bandied around with your thought in mind.

but I don't see that as particularly relevant.

None of us can predict the future. There might not be a WDW five years from now.

Anyone's ability to remember a WDW vacation might be shot five years from now.

Does it really make sense for any family to only vacation when every family member is at an ideal age?

All vacations ALSO have the potential to go horribly awry, or to go well.

Age just wasn't the most important factor IME.

Carpe diem, and all that.

We took our son for the first time at 18 months this past May. I anticipated “Disney with a toddler” being difficult, and it wasn’t at all (except for the part when we made him leave the splash mountain playground...). We had the best time and are very excited to return next fall!

There's no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. There are just too many variables. Every person is going to be somewhat different, and there really isn't any way to answer this without including our personal experiences.

If it matters, I've been going to WDW for over 40 years. Some trips are great, others were not as great. It didn't really matter what age I was.

I've also visited WDW with adults and children of all ages. Age wasn't really important.

If you want to see what I mean, try flipping your question around:

What is the best age for your FINAL trip to WDW?

Age 120.

I'm planning a big birthday blow out at WDW, followed by passing away peacefully in my sleep, at home a few weeks later. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter