Best and Worst Drivers in the US?

Haven driven up and down the east coast I would say the New York Area "CT, NJ and NY" but according to this study its Texas...

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/car-insurance/worst-drivers-by-state/
Having read that, I'm sure DH would disagree with Forbes. We moved from Massachusetts to Texas, and I think he'd say that both states are equally bad. But here in this part of Texas at least, we have 40% of drivers that don't have driver's liscences. So yeah, they're kind of bad.

The driving is terrible in the Toronto area where I live, so every time I drive through the States, I feel like everyone’s driving is great. Lol.
I have to agree with Toronto being difficult, at least based on our trip there! We flew to Buffalo and then rented a car and drove to Toronto. Unfortunately, we arrived downtown as people were arriving for a Blue Jays game, so we thought that was the cause, but it was terrible! People drove really aggressively, we couldn't merge in anywhere - it took us forever to get to our hotel because we just couldn't seem to get over to it. Same with the bikers there and pedestrians - it is quite possible we were doing something wrong, but I've never been yelled at by so many people on bikes lol! But we loved Toronto.

Driving can also vary within the state. People I know who grew up in Kansas City hate driving in St. Louis because people drive fast and there are so many lanes. But I love driving in St. Louis because people merge respectfully, give you the wave when they let you in, etc. In KC, people often don't use turn signals for changing lanes, and it seems like driver speed on the highways vary greatly. Adding to the general confusion is that there are more left exits from the highways that I'm used to. I don't know that I'd say the driving is worse in KC, but it's definitely different!

I grew up in Maryland and spent years commuting through DC and Northern Virginia, so I just accepted high-speed, aggressive driving to be the norm. Although I considered driving in that area to be a rather dangerous activity, I didn’t realize the level of anxiety it created for me until I moved to Atlanta. Within days, I noticed how drivers in the area seemed more easy going and less rushed, the roads felt much safer, and a driving-related stress melted away from me that I hadn’t even fully realized was there before. For a while I wondered if there was a real difference or if different driving conditions (less highway driving in Atlanta) was what made it seem less dangerous. Traveling back to Maryland solidified it for me — there was a noticeable and undeniable difference in aggressive driving!

Worst is North Carolina - I think cutting people off is the state pastime - and in general, people in the Deep South East do NOT use their turn signals - cause they think it’s nobody’s business where they’re going…
I had drivers Ed in Connecticut where we learned that if someone is signaling and it’s safe to do so - you let them into your lane…my husband, from the Carolinas, thought that was the most ridiculous thing he ever heard…
I can’t stop laughing over the idea of not using a turn signal because it’s nobody’s business where I’m going. :rotfl: In fact, there’s a thread on the controversy board I may need to add that to!

I think this is pretty biased, since I grew up in New Jersey and think the northeast has better drivers than my current midwest. In Jersey, people drove fast but predictable. The left lane was for passing, people used the onramps to match speed, and they would zipper merge like you're supposed to. Now in Michigan, people consistently drive slow in the middle and left lanes and form a massive single file line when a lane is ending, leaving all that wasted space.

Anyway, Los Angeles is the worst, for both road design and drivers.

I have to agree with Toronto being difficult, at least based on our trip there! We flew to Buffalo and then rented a car and drove to Toronto. Unfortunately, we arrived downtown as people were arriving for a Blue Jays game, so we thought that was the cause, but it was terrible! People drove really aggressively, we couldn't merge in anywhere - it took us forever to get to our hotel because we just couldn't seem to get over to it. Same with the bikers there and pedestrians - it is quite possible we were doing something wrong, but I've never been yelled at by so many people on bikes lol! But we loved Toronto.

I’m sure you weren’t doing anything wrong. Downtown driving is just brutal. It’s mostly gridlock trying to get into the core. And Yep, the bikers and pedestrians can be more aggressive than the drivers. Lol.

Somehow I imagined Canadians being much more polite drivers than those in the US.
It’s not so much that people are being intentionally rude and there doesn’t seem to be high instances of road rage. It’s more that people just drive so cluelessly or recklessly.

Either they are way too fast or way too slow on the highways around me.
So many vehicles on the roads and half of them don’t know where they are going. People cut you off left, right and centre and most are completely oblivious to it.

I just find driving in the States so much more enjoyable and way less stressful.

In the UK it is part of the Highway Code not to overtake on the inside. It's not law, but it's a very weighty rule of the roads. We also have the slow lane, the middle lane and the fast lane and it is very frowned upon to sit in the middle lane if you can move back to the slow lane. IOW, like with queuing/waiting in line, we have a certain amount of organization and self-policing!! ...A certain amount!

I first encountered what you call zipper merge, on the island of Jersey (Channel Islands) where it was called "filter in turn". It's very civilized, imo, and keeps traffic flowing more smoothly. If it's approaching roadworks or an incident it requires people slowing down a bit earlier to accomplish it, but I think, in the end, it keeps flow going more efficiently than leaving one lane empty so far back. I wish it was a more formal thing here on mainland GB. Though, I do regularly drive one road where 99% honor that system informally.

I've driven in lots of areas of the US (and also in Ontario/downtown Toronto) and the most challenging was the Newark area! Mind you I haven't driven in Orlando for a while, I hear that's pretty bad! 😧

Having lived in CA (SF Bay Area), WA state, Maryland (just outside DC), and now TN, I can say without hesitation that the worst drivers are in Memphis, TN!

Turn signals are rarely used. People cut each other off right and left, making others slam on their brakes. Drivers wil shut down a major highway for middle of the night sideshows, that often involve gunfire. Carpool (HOV) lane protocol is not followed. Hit and runs are the norm, as are unlicensed drivers. I can go on and on. It took a good year of living there to acclimate to the toxic drivers.

The drivers are so bad in Memphis that we were shocked last week while driving in Ft Lauderdale that people 1) used turn signals, 2) let others merge, 3) followed HOV rules, and 4) were not tailgating.

Florida can be bad, but I think it’s because we have drivers from all over the world bringing the driving habits of their home with them. Sometimes those driving habits are the complete opposite of another region’s driving habits. It’s not just the tourists either. The majority of the people who live here moved here from somewhere else, and brought their driving habits with them. So those cars you see with Florida tags can be drivers from NY, MT, or CA.

They are all retirees from other states who act like everyone should yield to the elders. They cut you off, honk at you, never a turn signal. And when you look their way, of course they wont look back.

Somehow I imagined Canadians being much more polite drivers than those in the US.
Oh heck no. I'm in Vancouver and da*n if there are not some truly terrible drivers here. And when we go down to WA state, half the bad drivers? Canadians who crossed the border 😂😂

Completely agree with the first paragraph, completely disagree with the second. The "zipper merge" has been proven to be faster than everyone lining up early. Many states, my own included, are now running ads to bring this message to people. There have been truckers that have been given tickets for impeding traffic when they block multiple lanes.
No it has not. Zipper merges are much better at saving space than they are time. In fact my state found that where space allows and where traffic isn't already congested, early merging is the far superior way to go. It is only where space is at a premium and traffic already congested where zipper merges are better. But my state also found that having two different merge styles for different situations wasn't feasible. So we don't use zipper merging. In cases where space and congestion do not allow for early merge, we use something better than zipper merging, Fast Fix. That is for most standard overcrossings, we'll close the interstate down after Friday commute and have it back up in time for Monday commute with a completely new bridge. And in fact in my state if you insist on a last second zipper merge, you get a big fat ticket. Resurfacing always takes place at night when the road is not congested and uses early merge.

No it has not. Zipper merges are much better at saving space than they are time. In fact my state found that where space allows and where traffic isn't already congested, early merging is the far superior way to go. It is only where space is at a premium and traffic already congested where zipper merges are better. But my state also found that having two different merge styles for different situations wasn't feasible. So we don't use zipper merging. In cases where space and congestion do not allow for early merge, we use something better than zipper merging, Fast Fix. That is for most standard overcrossings, we'll close the interstate down after Friday commute and have it back up in time for Monday commute with a completely new bridge. And in fact in my state if you insist on a last second zipper merge, you get a big fat ticket. Resurfacing always takes place at night when the road is not congested and uses early merge.
As I mentioned, I’m from Maryland where we laugh at zipper merging and your post is making me feel validated. What state are you referring to, if you don’t mind?

I think I read the same Forbes article and I think there’s some truth to it.

I learned to drive in the northeast and never thought any of the driving up there was obnoxiously bad. People aren’t afraid to gesture and yell, but the drivers themselves just don’t seem as bad as other places.

Of course, they also rank Albuquerque as the worst and I’ve never had any issues there either. I was recently in Phoenix and Tucson and am not shocked to see them in the top 10 worst. I really didn’t like driving in Phoenix and had some choice things to say about a number of drivers. I also hate driving through the DFW area…Dallas much more than Fort Worth, so absolutely not shocked that they’re on the list. Driving in Houston is so much better to me. I drove through KC in December and Memphis last May, both without issues, although…we’ve driven through Memphis before and had mixed feelings. DH was in Tampa back in November and he still thinks south Florida…like Palm Beach to Miami, is much worse. Sometimes I think familiarity makes us biased. Ex. I don’t mind driving in L.A. because it reminds me of driving at home.

I would have too, but when I visited Quebec City I was shocked to see how FAST people drove on those tiny roads! I mean, they would fly on these two lane streets, such that it was dangerous to cross. Lots of fancy cars too!

The other thing I noticed, and this is not necessarily the drivers' fault, but their road signs were not all uniform height and placement. There might be a stop sign on the side of a building at like 20 feet or so - just wild!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter