• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Animal Kingdom Guide - Best Tips, tricks, Must do's, Please Contribute!!!

One of our very best friends is a CM at Guest Relations at DAK :) We love this park!

These tips are great - thanks for compiling it all into one post!!

I always say "paganini" in my head when I see "pangani"

:)

Do they still offer fast pass/priority seating at Nemo if you have lunch at Tusker House?

Do they still offer fast pass/priority seating at Nemo if you have lunch at Tusker House?

I was just about to post this same thing. Right now we have breakfast and lunch reservations there. I'll cancel the lunch if the answer is no and the breakfast if the answer is yes.

Is it right that the parade route has now changed making it shorter (i.e. starts and finishes in Discovery Island and not by Kili Safaris)? We used to stand towards Kili Safaris which was a good place. If this is a permanent change are there any recommendations where to stand now? Does the advice to see it "on the way back" still hold?

When I was there last week, the parade did start and end on Discovery Island. I don't think it made it shorter - it still goes up through Africa, then Asia, then back to the island - but it doesn't start at the Safari anymore.

As to tips and suggestions -

Animals MAY be more active at morning/night. This is actually very temperature dependent and thus seasonally related. I was there when it was cold in the morning/night, and thus the animals were more active durin the mid-afternoon. You have to stop and consider where the animals live - almost all of them in Africa and Asia are warm-weather animals. But like humans, they don't like it TOO hot and humid, or too cold. When the weather is cooler, they'll be more active mid-day. When the weather is hot and humid ala summer, they're more active in morning/evening.

My best tip is to be QUIET on the animal trails - especially the bird enclosures. So many people rush along and are loud! If you are quiet in the bird enclosures, they will land near you and come very close. Stop and watch them for a few and be patient.

If you're an animal, nature, science lover - ask the cast members questions! Especially in the brid exhibits they can help you find birds you missed, or point out cool behaviors, or explain what you are seeing.

Disney has done a wonderful job making habitat enclosures for their animals that are very natural. The great part of this is the animals show some great wild behaviors. the downside is they show wild behaviors - so loud people make them hide! And they don't react on queue, so you really must wait and watch.

My one other tip is to look for hidden seating areas - there are lots near the cross over points from one land to another. They give great views of the parade or nice quiet spots to relax and have a snack.

http://allears.net/tp/ak/ak_rpw.htm Is the AllEars article on it. Rafiki's Planet Watch and Conservation Station are the same thing.

I love Rafiki's Planet Watch and the train ride over to the station. I say you have to do it the first time you go to Animal Kingdom and then after that every few times if your kids are older. If you have little ones, I would go every time!

There are animals here they can touch plus my kids love learning about the carte of all the animals in the park!

Wow, this is a fabulous compilation of tips and tricks.

A few questions. I saw that at one time they were testing a centralized FP distribution location in AK in 2009/2010. Did they keep that or take it out? It would be awesome to go to one place to get several FPs.

For those of you that have been to DLR, as far as Kali River Rapids goes, do you generally get more or less wet than at Grizzly River Rapids, or pretty much the same? Trying to figure out footwear, etc, for this since Grizzly and Splash are my favorite rides in DLR, so its a must-do for us.

They don't have the central FastPass distribution anymore.

In terms of wetness, Kali and Grizzly River Run are basically about the same. You could escape with just a few drops, or you could be completely wet. Just depends on your luck.

Bumping this awesome thread.

Wondering if you can take food into the Lion King. (Sounds like the more likely scenario is eating it while waiting to get in?)

Bumping this awesome thread.

Wondering if you can take food into the Lion King. (Sounds like the more likely scenario is eating it while waiting to get in?)

im bumping the thread- what an awesome read.

I have only been here three times-- and never have I waited on line to get in.
I dont know if you can eat in there-- the show is only about 20 minutes long

The first time I went to AK was either 1998 or 1999 - I remember doing Camp Minnie-Mickey but I can't remember how it works. Can someone who has been recently give me an update? I know there is several characters but do you have to wait in each line for the character or do you wait in 1 line and then go down a row to see each one?

From all the post I have read on AK most people say AK is a 1/2 day or 1 day trip to them. I wanted to eat at Tusker House on our trip in April 2011 so we had to go to AK even though my kids didn't seem really interested. Since we were already at AK I talked them into exploring some - we did Kilimanjaro Safari, Flights of Wonder, It's Tough to be a Bug, some of the walking trails, Tricera Top Spin and let my DS play in the Boneyard. We left a little after lunch because the kids were hot and said they would rather swim. (I hate swimming at Disney because we have a pool in our backyard so we can swim anytime.)

This year I was hoping we could do more at AK - I really want to see The Lion King, the Jingle Jungle Parade, Expedition Everest, DINOSAUR, etc. Is it possible to get all the major highlights - top rides, 1 show, parade and Camp Minnie-Mickey in 1 day? I plan to go on a day with EMH in the AM and stay until I just can't listen to the kids complain any longer. Any tips on keeping them more interested. Epcot is my favorite park but AK is a really close second for me.

Thanks
Allison

The first time I went to AK was either 1998 or 1999 - I remember doing Camp Minnie-Mickey but I can't remember how it works. Can someone who has been recently give me an update? I know there is several characters but do you have to wait in each line for the character or do you wait in 1 line and then go down a row to see each one?

When we last went in 2010 you had to stand in line for each one. We spent more time waiting in those lines than any of the rides :lmao:

You are standing mostly in the shade though, so that helps a bit. Get an ice cream and wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter