Best baby wearing device for 25-30lb kid?

Raenstoirm

DIS Veteran
We took our twins to WDW at 13 weeks. They were relatively light so we just carried them in lines and used ktans when we were going to be wearing them (once it got late we wore them so they could just sleep on us during rides and walking and not get in and out of strollers.) Our next trip is at 10 months old. My girl is already 21 lbs at 6.5 months and my boy is nearly 20, so I know they are going to be heavy. I use a product called a twingo every day to wear both of them, but that wont work for busses and rides and such since one is on the back. I don't want to spend a lot, but we are going to have to invest in two comfortable front carriers for the trip and we might as well get them early to use them for fall festivities. What have you found to be the most comfortable for wearing a heavy kid? Also, do you find a toddler resists facing in in a place like disney? If so, I guess I need on that can face in either direction. Dh and I are both very tall as are the babies.

I know that Tula makes a toddler carrier and perhaps Kinderpack does too....but both can be fairly difficult to obtain as they are in high demand. I currently use an Ergo Performance for my 4 month old, who is very tall and find it to be very comfortable. He's only about 15# right now. In the past I have worn my other children in a babyhawk mei tai when they were 2+ years old with no problem. I do prefer the Ergo though. I was able to find mine on Zulily for almost half price. At 6.5 months old, it should be no problem to wear them on your back if they resist facing inward. There is an Ergo 360, which you can have the baby face outward, but it's typically only recommended for short periods of time like 20 minutes or so. Good Luck!!

Believe it or not, I just checked my email and got a notification that Ergobaby will be on zulily starting tomorrow 9/9 at 6am!

We have two different Ergo carriers, which we mostly use for our 6mo. A few weeks ago, though, my 31lb toddler woke up from a car nap as we got to a store and wanted to be carried. So I threw her in the Ergo and it worked great. She's very tall, so she was pretty dangly :) but it wasn't uncomfortable. I'd also recommend the Ergo Performance for a larger child and a hot location like Florida, because it's got better wicking and ventilation than the regular Ergo. Hope that helps!

I hate buckle carriers I just never got the hang of them but I have heard the Ergo 360 is great for little ones who want to face out.

I use a ring sling, mine are made from Woven Wraps all of the wrap retailers carry them like Marsupial Mama's, Risaroo etc. I find them to be most comfy and this way I can safely and comfortably carry my little guy facing out or in. They are also great for quick on and off and for being SUPER portable I just fold it and put it in the diaper bag. I can do back carry's in it too.

When my daughter was 11 months, she was about that size (23 pounds at 6 months LOL) and I used an Action Baby Carrier. It was my first time using any type of carrier and it was a lifesaver. She hated the stroller and I carried her pretty much the entire trip without any issues. She was still nursing at the time, so I found it easy to unbuckle and nurse her in shows or dark rides, if needed and the extra fabric that folder over her head when she fell asleep was great :-)

090928_029.jpg 090930_072.jpg

When my son was about 1yr+, I found his ring sling start to get a little uncomfortable because he was getting heavier. I wanted something that would fold very compactly as I personally preferred the stroller (my son unfortunately preferred to be carried). I didn't want to have to pack a huge padded carrier with multiple bulky buckles, etc.

I ended up buying a Mei Tai carrier from a local lady who made slings/carriers at home.

It looked like this and I could order the pattern of my choice. I could also customize the size to my preference if I wanted (I made mine a little smaller as I am petite and the smaller size would be a bit more comfortable for me). Going through a local lady also meant she could go through several demos with me to ensure I was wearing it correctly. (I also bought my ring sling from her and was never "great" at wearing it. I saw her socially occasionally and she would come up and give my sling a quick fix LOL). I found the Mei Tai much easier to put on correctly - after i practiced in front of a mirror a few times, it was a breeze to put on and off. It wasn't too expensive - about $30-40 if I recall correctly. it was also nice to support a home business.

home_photo.png

This pic is from http://www.meitaibaby.com/

I really liked how adjustable the Mei Tai was and how it folded up into a very compact size (basically it was a folded up piece of cloth). It took up very little space in the diaper bag. My boy was super comfortable in it and we used it until he was around 3 yrs old. It was perfect for flying too - especially for getting on and off the plane.

I had a hip carrier for DS at about that weight, and I loved it! I got it through One Step Ahead.

I love my woven wrap. If you have the patience to learn there are so many ways to tie it. My almost 3yo is 30 lbs and still loves it.

Ergo's are also great AND easy.

You may find they may welcome facing in when they get overwhelmed (DS still likes a snuggle when he's tired.) I'm not sure if from your post you're looking for something that faces forward (like a babybjorn), so just know that those kinds of carriers are really bad for babies. We started off with one of those (oops) and they are also super uncomfortable for the parent. Look for something with a "seat" that can be worn in front or on your back and you should be golden.

We were given a Snugli hand-me-down when LO was born, but he was 3 months when we realized it was too small for him!
DH and I did a lot of research and got a beco, it is ergonomically correct for LO and it distributes the weight nicely between the hips and shoulders. It also has 4 different carrying position so DS can face out when he wants to look at things. My favorite is the hip position because it lets me protect him from pushers and he still gets to look around. I actually had him in the hip position on rides and he loved it. :)

We took him to Disneyland at 9 months and I wore him a lot and I wasn't overly exhausted considering he was 20lbs.

I just got tula toddler for my 13 month old that is 27lbs! It's amazing! We have ergo 360 which was awesome bc you can wear it so many ways... However it wasn't offering enough support lately and the tula toddler is great!

Ergo, Tula, or Toddler Tula -- check the heights for a toddler tula though, I bet you'd be fine with a standard carrier for awhile. Most kids don't fit Toddler Tula's until they are in size 2T clothes.

In your situation, I'd do a ring sling and a soft structured carrier, like the Ergo, Tula, etc.. You can easily switch a kid from front to back in the Ergo/Tula type carriers. A mei tai is also nice, but I'm thinking the quickness of using ring slings and SSCs would be better for Disney.

My daughter is almost 30lbs and I love our toddler Tula. She prefers front-carry, though she is usually sleeping while in it. If she is on my back she can see out over my shoulder.

On my last trip to DW my dd was 10 months old and I LOVED this simple hip sling. I always like carrying my dd on my hip though, it's most comfortable for me. This sling was really easy to slip her in and out of so she could face forward on my lap on the rides. Mostly I just used it while waiting in lines so my arms wouldn't get exhausted and feel like they are going to fall off.

It goes up to 35 pounds, I'm still using it with my 2 year old who is 33 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/Balboa-Baby-S...qid=1441906220&sr=8-1&keywords=dr+sears+sling

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter