Best BBQ in Orlando?

twitterpated31

Mouseketeer
My family foodies (husband and 10 yr old son) are HUGE BBQ fans. We are driving down from Toronto next year and the boys want to find the best places.
My research has suggested stopping in Lexington NC on the way down (although open to other suggestions).
Any experts on where we can find the best in Orlando? It doesn’t have to be Disney.
Thanks!

I don't think I have actually had BBQ in Orlando, other than the very good Voyager's Smokehouse in SeaWorld. BUT I know there are some 4 Rivers Smokehouse locations in the Orlando area. It is a regional chain, and the ones here are great!

https://4rsmokehouse.com/

Polite Pig in Disney Springs has good BBQ and sides. They are an offshoot of their parent restaurant, Ravenous Pig, which is located in Winter Park and it isn’t a BBQ Restaurant.

We also like 4 Rivers and Sonny’s. Disney has used Sonny’s to cater small CM events.

On your way down or back, look for a Dickey's BBQ along the way. It is a smaller chain, but does pretty good BBQ for a fast food option; there are enough locations that you don't usually need to make a big detour. They go as far north as NY, but our favorite location along I-81 just closed. We're not talking championship BBQ here, but some really good flavorful meats nonetheless.

We also really enjoyed City BBQ in Garner NC (right near Cabella's). A good lunch stop if heading through that way.

Interestingly, for all my love of good BBQ, I have yet to try it in Orlando. We vacation in the Carolina's often enough and I'm always looking for it there (mmm, huuushhh puppiessss), but not in FL.

Last edited:

look for a Dickey's BBQ along the way. It is a smaller chain, but does pretty good BBQ for a fast food option; there are enough locations that you don't usually need to make a big detour.

A fair option, but I'll mention for the OP (from Toronto) that we have a Dickey's BBQ here in Buffalo so maybe not unique. If I were going for chain BBQ, Smokey Bones or Famous Dave's might be a better option, IMO. Famous Dave's closed here but I know there's still one in Erie, PA if they are driving the 90W to FL. And also for the OP, if you're ever here in Buffalo, Dinosaur BBQ is the best!

OP, my parents spend the winters in various parts of Florida and have been told by many locals that there is no good BBQ to be found in FL. LOL! Even though it's the south, there's nothing authentic or outstanding enough to be noteworthy. If anyone finds a gem, we'd be curious to know too!

A fair option, but I'll mention for the OP (from Toronto) that we have a Dickey's BBQ here in Buffalo so maybe not unique. If I were going for chain BBQ, Smokey Bones or Famous Dave's might be a better option, IMO. Famous Dave's closed here but I know there's still one in Erie, PA if they are driving the 90W to FL. And also for the OP, if you're ever here in Buffalo, Dinosaur BBQ is the best!

OP, my parents spend the winters in various parts of Florida and have been told by many locals that there is no good BBQ to be found in FL. LOL! Even though it's the south, there's nothing authentic or outstanding enough to be noteworthy. If anyone finds a gem, we'd be curious to know too!
There is plenty of good BBQ in Florida, despite what the snowbirds and recent transplants say. In addition to the regional chains I sometimes frequent around here (4Rivers and Mojo's), there are LOTS of mom and pop places throughout the state. If you want something more specific to Florida, you can try smoked mullet or go to south Florida for Caribbean-inspired lechon asado and jerk chicken. You can also find places that use citrus or avocado wood for smoking that adds a unique flavor. I like all styles of BBQ. I don't necessarily think one is better than another, since I crave different ones at different times.

Last edited:

There is plenty of good BBQ in Florida, despite what the snowbirds and recent transplants say. In addition to the regional chains I sometimes frequent around here (4Rivers and Mojo's), there are LOTS of mom and pop places throughout the state. If you want something more specific to Florida, you can try smoked mullet or go to south Florida for Caribbean-inspired lechon asado and jerk chicken. You can also find places that use citrus or avocado wood for smoking that adds a unique flavor. I like all styles of BBQ. I don't necessarily think one is better than another, since I crave different ones at different times.

I'm sure there is, and I'm sure the people we heard from on the topic were just being facetious. Every city has some kind of good BBQ I'm sure! My only point was that just because its the south, it doesn't mean they will have BBQ on par with Texas or Memphis, for example. Florida, and the route down to Florida, isn't necessarily known for BBQ like some other areas are.

Another vote for Sonny's BBQ when near Disney.

Sorry I can't help with NC BBQ, I am not a fan of the Carolina style of BBQ.

South Carolina has the best BBQ. Depending on the part of the state you can get vinegar base, mustard base or tomato based sauce. We are pork BBQ here btw. None of that silly beef stuff they do in Texas or weird dry rub from Memphis. I'm looking at you, you know who you are :).

Cecil's near downtown is the best barbecue you're going to get in the Orlando area.

Cecil’s and 4Rivers are the best local places, it they’re away froM the tourist areas.

Lexington, NC is one of the major BBQ styles of the U.S. — (east to west) Eastern NC; Lexington, NC; South Carolina; Memphis; St Louis; and Texas — which says a lot considering Lexington's teeny size compared to the others. My favorite I've tried in Lexicon is Smiley's, but I only get through there when visiting relatives and can't try them all. But as noted, Lexington is off of I-77, and a LONGGGG way from I-95, I would guess it's a 6 hour detour to get there and back. But if you are planning on running down I-81 to skip DC traffic, and cutting back over, it may be along the way.

If going down I-95, there be plenty of reliable Eastern NC BBQ places near Raleigh. You'll also be able to find some SC BBQ places off I-95, maybe in Florence or closer to Charleston.

Can't comment to FLA BBQ, I but there are plenty of good places that cater to one or more styles, but it's not something I travel to Florida for, not that I would turn it down if I found it.

South Carolina has the best BBQ. Depending on the part of the state you can get vinegar base, mustard base or tomato based sauce. We are pork BBQ here btw. None of that silly beef stuff they do in Texas or weird dry rub from Memphis. I'm looking at you, you know who you are :).

Them's fighting words. You obviously haven't had a good Texas beef brisket or Memphis style pulled pork sandwich.

But you forgot California ;), specifically Santa Maria-style BBQ. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria-style_barbecue

I’m a native Santa Marian and grew up with an iron barbecue in our backyard. The bbq that we’ve tried in an around Orlando is an experience for us! We’ll have to try Bubbalous next time. :)

I debated mentioning that, having lived in Ca. for a while, it;s often not recognized east of the Rockies.:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter