Best book to get

I'd recommend the "Passporter". I've read or looked through most of the available Disney guide books and like this one best. :thumbsup2

The unofficial Guide to Disney World is by far the most comprehensive book there is

I like UOG but it is often TOO much information.

This year my sister bought a Birnbaum's and I like it.

I like UOG but it is often TOO much information.

This year my sister bought a Birnbaum's and I like it.

Have to agree as well. We always get Birnbaum's for a refresher. Love the ease of reading and the pictures and covers the basics. If you want every nuance of WDW, UOG would be up your alley! :thumbsup2

Thanks everyone. I got a coupon for Barnes and Noble today that I wanted to use to get a Disney book, and I was wondering what everyone thought. I might go with the Passporters simply because it has pages to fill in things and pockets to keep things organinzed. I might just have to see if my local library has some of the others just to see the pictures and what things might make them different.

I would agree with the PP on Passporter. It has at least three ratings for each ride and restaurant from 1 - 10 (the author, her husband, and the readers -- and sometimes from her children) and it has Touring maps for each park in colour. Very easy to read with a lot of information that is easy to understand.

I'm a huge fan of the Unofficial Guide because it has so much information. But I love all the data and the background info, and I recognize that it may be too much for some.

I also like Passporter, but I don't think I would ever carry it in the parks to fill out pages & keep my reservations and such - that seems too bulky. It is definitely a good resource, though.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with UG. But again, I love the info overload.

Hi, my name is Alby and I am a Disneyholic. I have 19 different books on Disney planning :scared1: (not counting multiple editions) and my top 3 are:
- The Unofficial Guide for comprehensive information on attractions and the most thorough analysis of restaurants and of planning/ packing necessities. It can be a bit overwhelming, though (not for me, I love it!), and there are no pictures.
Even more info can be got buying the companion books: Unofficial guide to WDW with kids, for grown ups, and color companion
- The Passporter. It is more compact and rich in maps (even hotel maps), ratings and organizational tools. Again, there are companion books like the Answer Book and the 500 Tips
- The Complete Guide to WDW. It has much less about planning but it is extremely rich in pictures, fun facts, hidden mickey info etc. It even has maps of AK animal paths. It is more complete than Unofficial Guide Color Companion (which is similar in concept)

On the other hand, there are a few that I would not buy again. General travel guides (Fodor’s, Frommers, Complete Idiot’s Guide, …) covering WDW are less up-to-date and spot-on than specialized guides. One of them recommends Le Cellier as an easy ADR in Epcot…

ETA: I forgot to add that the funniest guide is, without a doubt, Mousejunkies! it's a very good read, but maybe not thorough enough for serious planning

My vote for best book used as a planning tool would be Unofficial Guide.

Love, love, love Unofficial Guide!!!! I read it cover-to-cover. Tons of awesome info.

I always buy a PassPorter, too, but only for their maps. I think their touring advice is awful but their maps are incredible. Their ride descriptions are good, too.

I gotta vote for the Passporter. Good planning tool, excellent maps, not as much negativity (IMHO) as the Unofficial Guide.

Unofficial Guide is my favorite. I buy a new copy every other year.

The writers do tend to have a sarcastic outlook on things, which I find humorous. I also enjoy the reader comments.

Passporter's is too "dumbed down" for me - however, I think it would be a really great planning tool for a first-time guest. It's got enough "insider" information, but is also full of pictures and planning charts. Unofficial Guide can be a little overwhelming.

I've only gotten the unofficial guide, and I thought it was great. One stop shopping for everything -- a wealth of infommation all in one place.

I've bought three different editions over the years. I found it to be a really fun read too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter