Best Camera Bag for DW?

staceyhzoo

Mouseketeer
I have a Canon 60D and this bag http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-DK-10-Travel-Camera-Backpack/dp/B002OEBJ7I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342795440&sr=8-4&keywords=camera+bag+dolica

Dh thinks it is a little bulky for our all day trip and wants something a little smaller. I've never taken this camera to DW (only p&s) and I'm guessing I'll have my static lens and my 55-250. Is there another bag that's a little smaller or less bulky? I'm really ok with this bag, but dh....

So I was thinking something like this http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Passport-Sling-Camera-Bag/dp/B0039NLS4C/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342795747&sr=1-21&keywords=small+camera+bag+dslr

Thanks!!

There's no such thing as a "best" camera bag. Maybe that's why so many photographers own multiple bags. It depends upon your gear, what you're doing, etc.

We can recommend quality bags based upon our experience, but only you can decide which is best.

Of course, I'm a guy who doesn't like taking a camera bag into the parks so I can avoid the long security line for bag checks. My vote for the best bag is no bag at all.

I agree-the perfect camera bag doesn't exist. That's why I have several bags depending on what I need to carry. Based on experience, I have found that I end up having my camera out 90% of the time, even on some rides. It goes in the bag on wet rides, in the rain, and while eating.

If you are planning to go on water rides or during the summer (think afternoon storms), you might want to check out Lowepro's All Weather feature. Bags marked with AW either have a water resistant coating, or a pull-out rain cover to offer some protection. Other brands have a similar feature.

I have also found that I don't like sling bags. One, being a woman, I hate cross body straps. Two, my neck and shoulder get sore from wearing it after a few hours. With backpacks, I get too hot, or my back starts to hurt (if I'm loaded up). I try to limit myself to one or two lenses and my camera with a lens, backup battery and memory cards, wallet, water bottle, sunscreen. My go-to pack for Disney is a waist pack that also has a strap which takes some of the weight off the belt. I have a Lowepro version and a Think Tank version.

The best thing you can do is research like crazy, and go to a store to try them out knowing what you will need to carry.

While I've not used it personally, my friend uses the bag below to carry his 1D and also his canon t4i. The main compartment will carry the camera lens down with a shade on. Or it will carry the camera, lens down with teh shade reversed and spare lenses (bagged) in the bottom of that compartment.

Stakeout bag:
http://www.voodootactical.net/p-1029-voodoo-tactical-15-0457-stakeout-padded-concealment-bag.aspx

The rest of the bag will hold extra batteries, a full size flash, memory cards ect. ect. pockets that can hold cell phones and such too. A large zippered pocket behind the main compartment will hold a tablet.

I have tried his out (carryign around his house) and I really liked it. I have one on order that will be arriving this week and I plan to carry my T4i in it when comes.

I also plan to get a canon pack from amazon for about 40 bucks that opens and holds everything separately.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-...TF8&colid=21P5AGZOV8HB2&coliid=I10VZ45WM9J40E

The other 'Stakeout bag' seems much more friendly for walking around with and getting in and out of.

The back pack would require much more effort and would have to be placed flat to ensure all the stuff doesn't fall out... even with some velcro additions, I'd be concerned about it being opened sideways..

I the parks I too am sans camera bag. My camera is on me in a Lenscoat Bodybag and I sometimes stash a lens in my hip pack (cushioned by the rain ponchos LOL).

When I do need to carry more I've got a Tamrac Advanture Messenger 4 that I've been using. Again, I tend to keep my camera on me and it's just to tote lenses. I also have the obligatory giant carry every single lens you own at once bag. And I've been known to borrow DD's Crumpler 2 million dollar home to stash a couple of lenses in. And then there is the JoTotes for when I need a bag that doesn't look like a bag. It really depends on what I need at the time. I've got several other bags here, but these are the ones that get used the most. Some women have a purse for every occasion, I have a camera bag.

I have used a Lowepro Slingshot bag in the past at WDW and liked it. If you're like me, you'll like it if one of the sizes fits the gear you want to take. I used the mid-sized one. It really isn't that heavy, so tell your husband I said to man up. You have a camera to use it. I've carried my bag around with the body and a handful of lenses and other accessories for 12-15 hour days in the parks.If you have a stroller and there's a compartment underneath it, you can stuff the bag in there now and then to take a little of the load off for a bit (just take it with you anytime you leave the stroller unattended). The sling bags are fast and easy to take off when the opportunity or need arises. And the Slingshots offer quick access to your camera without having to take the bag off your shoulder.

I've got too much gear now to fit it all in my Slingshot, but I may use it with a pared-down kit in the parks (some of my equipment is the sort of thing I wouldn't use in the parks, so leaving it behind isn't really a compromise).

SSB

Don't laugh, but I use a bag that is actually meant for our Nintendo Wii. It is a small backpack style, and it holds my camera body (Canon Rebel), the 18-55, and my 55-250. Of course, it holds nothing else, so DH has to carry the kids' backpack! :)

I concur with everyone else that the "best" bag depends on a variety of factors, but here are a few tips based on my experience . . . .

If you've got kid stuff to carry anyway, consider a bag that will hold your camera gear as well as some of the other supplies you need. I personally do not like sling or messenger bags because they hurt my back. I love the Kata line of backpacks and have a couple of different sizes so that I can carry more or less gear as needed. Now that my kids are a little older and can haul their own stuff I find I'm using the smaller one more!

If I'm going to have the camera out all day anyway, I'll sometimes just carry a small bag that will hold an extra lens and not hassle with a big bag.

When i went in the fall i had a lowepro slingshot 202aw. nice bag and had lots of room for my stuff and a nice slot to carry my tripod.

I have since purchased a crumpler 5 million dollar home to travel lighter for my recent trip to europe. My camera is on a black rapid sling that was out at all times and i wore the crumpler sling style also both on opposite shoulders. This worked well for me an i was able to travel all day without issues. in the bag i had filters, rocketblower, 10-20 wide angle and 55-250 telephoto (i sometimes switched this out for my 430exII flash). the camera (t2i) w/ 17-50 2.8 also fit just fine when i needed to store it.

I agree with everyone here... this is a loaded question as the bag has a lot to do with preference and needs. I have a closet full of different bags I have tried and collected through the years from several makers. When I travel to WDW I tend to bring my older Canon 20D (with a battery handgrip) so it is sizable. When I head into the parks I pretty much decide which lens or two I will take for that day and that will determine the bag I use.

My favorite WDW single lens bag is the Lowepro Nova 1 AW with the bigger brother Nova 3 AW used if I bring an extra lens and some additional filters. I predominantly keep my gear in a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW for everyday use, but it can get a little heavy to carry around the parks all day. The smaller bags make it easier to tuck away on the rides. Also I never hit WDW without an all-weather bag (AW) to keep everything dry when we get a little quick rain or wet ride.

If I travel with a smaller set up than the 20D, I will keep it in one of my Crumplers, Domke, or again the Nova 1 AW depending on the size of the equipment. My all-time favorite easy access bag is the Lowepro sideline shooter that looks about as geeky as you can ever hope to look. The bag is really nothing more than a gigantic fanny pouch, but so very easy to switch between cameras or lenses when shooting sporting events. Over the years I have bought many other's "mistakes" from ebay and camera shops and always have a use for them in some way (except the Canon bag which screams STEAL ME!! so it keeps my lenses at home).

There are so many different bags out there to make their usage as unique as you want or to cover the type of photography shooting needs that you have. I would recommend going to a photography store and seeing how your equipment fits, ease of access and carrying, as well as how secure your equipment remains. In the end you'll be carrying and using the bag and it will need to work well for you. If the bag you get is not weatherproof, remember to bring something to protect the equipment in event of a rain or water splashing from rides.

Good luck.

pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter