• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Carry On with Wheels

Nana2Callie

DIS Veteran
Please recommend your favorite carry on with wheels - really would like one with a few pockets.

I like the Eagle Creek line. They are very durable, have a great warranty, and don't look like every other bag.
if price is a concern, check out deals on EBay.

We use an LLBean medium carryall on wheels. It looks like a duffel and fits nicely in the overhead on Jetblue and Delta.

I have an itsy little Skyway Spinner that I love to death that works really well as a carry on. I also have a little under seat bag that I adore that is made by Ciao. What works best for me is to have a carry on with a handle, and then I have a LeDonne, full-grain leather tote that is big enough for my laptop (just barely) but small enough to be considered a purse. I have put that tote bag through heck for 4 years and it still looks amazing. I have a small LeDonne crossbody that matches it in color and hardware that I can slip inside my carry on.

My husband does a lot of travel for work. I got him a LUG wheelie. One of the reasons I knew he'd like it was all the pockets. Purchased from QVC.

Eagle Creek 22 is my favorite carry on. It holds quite a lot and fits in every overhead I've tried. Lots of other good recommendations already so I'll change it up a bit.

For a carry on Backpack with a ton of pockets I use this 5.11 Covert Don't be distracted by the tacti-cool factor. It's a backpack and I've carried it through a lot of travel. The pockets are a godsend.

Are you looking for domestic or international travel? What airlines? Many bags sold today as carry-ons don't meet foreign airlines size requirements, and some domestic airlines are also starting to require smaller sizes. Check the airlines you fly the most to see what they allow, then be careful when you shop that the dimensions you are seeing includes wheels and handles (many websites list sizes without).

Do you want a spinner (4 wheels), or rollaboard (2 wheels)?

Do you want hardside or softside?

Generally, I personally am partial to Briggs and Riley bags (expensive), but I also have Travelpro and a few other brand bags. I haven't been super impressed with the Travelpro Maxlite bags - I have two larger bags that have had some quality issues.

I recently got a Samsonite Ziplite because it's a hardside spinner, it was well reviewed, I got a decent price on it and the size works for most domestic/international airlines (at or under 22x14x9, which were my requirements based on the travel I plan to do in the next few years - VERY few bags fit within those dimensions). It's OK for a carry on, but I don't know that I'd get a bigger bag in the line that would have to be checked. The zipper is a bit finicky, but that's the only complaint I have so far.

Last edited:
I ordered the Travelpro Maxlite 4 Expandable Rollaboard 22 inch Suitcase, Purple as recommended by Sarah at the top of this thread. Looks like a great bag and I had $200 in Amazon gift card cash to burn, so....

Funny thing is, it is being sold by Zappos, but being fulfilled by Amazon. I love Zappos and would have ordered directly from Zappos, except for the gift card cash I have with Amazon.

The one thing I do hate is that I have had somewhat bad experiences with Amazon's "free shipping" on orders over $35. And, of course, I selected the Amazon free shipping, so I did not expect to see this bag for a couple of weeks....

BUT, after ordering around 6 p.m. on Saturday (Pacific Time), I see this morning -- about 12 hours later -- that the bag is "shipping today." Is that something special Amazon has worked out for Zappos orders?

Oh, and of course, Zappos is wholly owned by Amazon, which makes it even more weird.

We will see....

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter