• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best cure for post-Disney depression? A trip report! Spring Break 2015

Hi! Just found your TR! Looks like a really fun trip so far! STL fan? are you from the area? We are from the STL area and BIG fans, but its hard not to be! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.

Hi! Just found your TR! Looks like a really fun trip so far! STL fan? are you from the area? We are from the STL area and BIG fans, but its hard not to be! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.
We live in Nashville, originally from Memphis but are lifelong Cards fans. My dad used to take us up to STL every August for a weekend of games. Miss that. Yes, Cards are the best! Glad you joined in! :)

Haha so funny, HS isn't my favorite park either! I actually only have 1/2 day planned for our next trip.
I can't wait to try RnRR for the first time with my DD9.

Looks like such a great trip, ready to hear more about MK!

Haha so funny, HS isn't my favorite park either! I actually only have 1/2 day planned for our next trip.
I can't wait to try RnRR for the first time with my DD9.

Looks like such a great trip, ready to hear more about MK!
RnRC is SO fun - you will love it!!! I really wish we had planned it out better to ride it twice. Next trip!

Magic Kingdom-3/25/15

Originally we had planned to make this our late night at MK. We would sleep in, swim, have a late lunch then hit MK around 2, which is when I had us FPs. But the day before Ben had expressed how much he REALLY wanted to ride 7DMT and He just felt he could not wait until our Friday FP. So RD it would be. We would do a few hours in the park, head back to the resort for the afternoon, then return to MK around 5. We lined up at MK, saw the welcome show (that never gets old!!) and headed with the crowds to Fantasyland. Ugh - people acted so badly. I mean really, I would be embarrassed. A woman (looked like the grandmother of the family) was pushing a stroller and nudging me with it from behind. Groups of 5 or more people running at full speed, despite the CMs asking everyone to walk. I mean it's a ride. You will get on it eventually. We made it to 7DMT and the line was already weaving out of the queue, but only said 35 min. So we waited. It moved really fast and the games in the queue are really cute. We timed it and ended up waiting only 25 min - not too bad. The ride is cute, but i will concur with others it is really short. It is fun, though. I would not wait 45 minutes, but I would ride it again and was glad we had a FP later in the week. Here we are:

Next we stopped at Sleepy Hollow for breakfast. I have wanted to try the waffle sandwiches forever. We got a waffle for the kids and Mark and I split the omelet waffle sandwich. Ehh - it suffered from an overabundance of American cheese. I would like to go back and try the spicy chicken one.

Next up we rode Splash and BTMRR - MULTIPLE times. There was no wait. So fun :) We then decided to take the train back to the front and go back the hotel and relax. The plan was to come back for our 4:00 FP (Splash - again!) then take a monorail tour of the deluxe resorts and have dinner at one of them, then head back to MK for remaining FP and Wishes. So back to POFQ we went. We had lunch at the food court and Mark and Ben took a nap while Cate and I hit the pool.

OK, almost time for Ben's game - will come back later today and finish the report for this day of the trip. Thanks so much to those of you reading along!

Up Next: The Monorail Resorts Tour and a MK Evening!

I just saw your signature - I would love to hear about your experience at the Poly this fall. We are wanting to stay there our next trip!

Your day at HS looked like a lot of fun. Our kids haven't been there in years but I think maybe they are ready to go back...the animation class looks like a lot of fun. Glad you got on 7DMT. The thing is ...wait times...sigh...is ANYTHING worth waiting an hour for? It's hard to seem like anything is worth it when you wait forever...that's what I hate. When you walk on or wait just a few mins...every ride seems awesome! You managed to get a lot in at RD...that is the best!

Your day at HS looked like a lot of fun. Our kids haven't been there in years but I think maybe they are ready to go back...the animation class looks like a lot of fun. Glad you got on 7DMT. The thing is ...wait times...sigh...is ANYTHING worth waiting an hour for? It's hard to seem like anything is worth it when you wait forever...that's what I hate. When you walk on or wait just a few mins...every ride seems awesome! You managed to get a lot in at RD...that is the best!
I totally agree about the wait times. I have learned with a little planning and some flexibility you really can ride anything. But these people that plow folks down amaze me. It happened at HS too with TSM. We walked over there and walked on the ride. No need to get crazy.
You should definitely give HS another shot. I think we may earmark more time for it next trip. We didn't really even see any shows except Frozen. Nor did we do any character greets.

Magic Kingdom~Part 2 3/25/15

So after our little room break, we headed back to MK. This time we rode the train back to Frontierland - this is a great option. The railroad was closed when we were there in October '13, but this is a real footsaver. I am not sure it necessarily saves any time, but it does save the feet. Once in Frontierland, we rode Splash - AGAIN! I swear for at least a week after we got home the "How Do You Do" song played constantly in my head. After Splash we checked wait times and they were all long so we boarded the train ad headed back to the front gate for the monorail tour. We Rode to Contemporary and decided to skip this one. While I love the location of this resort, I don't love the theme. I feel like I am at a Sheraton anywhere. I know it has its fans, and I would not turn down an opportunity to stay here, but it wouldn't be my first choice. So we decided to head to Poly - where we really want to stay when we do my post degree trip next year!

So, I love the Poly. It is so up my alley. Mark and I honeymooned in Tahiti and we love this type atmosphere. We walked around the lobby area a bit then got drinks from Tambu Lounge. Mark got something tropical. I got chardonnay, which is pretty much all I drink. The we wandered the grounds a bit. The pool was still closed but it looks like it will be awesome when it reopens.

Next we got back on the monorail and headed to Grand Floridian. What a beautiful resort. I love the piano player in the lobby and kids loved checking out the giant Easter eggs.

We wandered around, checked out the pool then decided to walk back over to Poly to eat at Captain Cooks as we didn't have ADRs this evening. I will say our food at the QS was really good. I got a chicken sandwich that had pineapple on it and Mark got some sort of Asian bowl. Then it was time to head back to MK for our BTMRR FP

After that we had a FP for Space Mtn - but I had tried to switch mine out. For some reason, they way the seats are in the coaster, i always have back pain after riding this ride. It's like the seats aren't low enough. Anyway, we decided they would ride and I would scout a spot for Wishes. Which I did on the bridge from Tomorrowland. Not a fabulous spot, but not neck to neck people either. Took this shot off Tomorrowland at night. Wish I had a better camera:

Mark and kids walked up just as Celebrate the Magic was starting. I love this show. Then we watched Wishes - I will say our spot was perfect for seeing Tink fly overheard. I know the family with young kids next to us appreciated Ben shouting "It's not real, she is on a zipline!"

After Wishes we decided to avoid the bus rush and rode the ride with the shortest line. Winnie the Pooh. This is a really cute ride. Ben kept asking me in the queue if it was a thrill ride, which I said it wasn't, but he kept trying to convince himself.

Then we headed to Frontierland to ride - yep, BTMRR!! There was no line. Yes, we exhausted this area of the park. Afterwards we hit the exit, catching glimpses of the second Celebrate the Magic show.

Next Up: Epcot tomorrow!

Loving the report. We go in March every other year and this was not an "other" year, so I'm living vicariously through you!

Another fun afternoon!!! Love the resort hopping idea! Totally agree with you about the theming at the CR...although I'd still like to stay there if only for the ability to be able to walk to MK...how sweet would that be lol. If money were no object though...well probably the Poly....sigh. Your kids are real troopers though!! Up for almost anything and lots of energy it seems!!

Epcot - 3/26/15

This was our full Epcot day, though we would end up at MK later, of course! I had planned later FPs so the kids could sleep in a bit after closing MK night before. I wasn't too thrilled about our Fps, but that is how it goes when you are in a park with the tier system. We arrived at the park around 9:45 and walked on Living with the Land. Next we had a FP for Figment, which I was not excited about, but it ended up being cute! The kids really liked it. We rounded that off with a visit to Club Cool. Phew, that Beverly is nasty. Actually I thought a lot of the flavors were a little icky, but I am admittedly not a big soft drink fan. They were all so sweet!

Next up we had lunch at Sunshine Seasons. For QS this is pretty good. DH and I both had one of the asian bowls, beef I think. I should have written this sooner after we got home - I can barely remember!! :(

Next up was Test Track. Ben loves this ride. Luckily we had a FP as the standby line was almost 2 hours.

Out next FP wasn't until 1:45 for Spaceship Earth. We decided to take the walk over to WS and see the American Adventure and the US Pavilion. I have to say, I really enjoyed this. It is quite a stirring account of our nation's history. I highly recommend it, especially if Voices of Liberty are singing in the lobby beforehand. When we were there, they were actually performing in the amphitheater.

We stopped then and got the kids a shaved ice from Japan. I really wanted to see Impressions de France, but was vetoed. I am going to Epcot alone for an afternoon next trip. No one ever wanted to nerd out with me in the WS. We headed back over to SE for our FP, but it was down for repair, so we hit Sum of All Thrills. After that we decided to go back the room, take a swim brea, then go check out Wilderness Lodge and maybe grab dinner there.

Cate and I hit the pool, and Mark took a nap (see a trend here?) while Ben played on the Kindle. Then we freshened up and headed out again.
v

We rook the bus to MK, then the water taxi to WL. I cannot tell you how annoyed I was I didn't take pictures. I told you - I am horrible at remembering to. Thank god for Memory Maker. Anyway, LOVED WL! It is so beautiful and they carried the theming through to the last detail. We are tied between this and Poly for my graduation trip next year if we can swing the cost. We wandered around the pool area and lobby, then decided to hit Territory Lounge for an adule beverage. We ended up ordering appetizers and making that our dinner. We had the pulled pork nachos and the banh mi flatbread. Both were excellent and surprisingly filling for the four of us. Other than the really grouchy bartender, we really enjoyed this and plan to make more meals out of deluxe lounge visits on future trips.

After we ate, Mark was tired and ready to go back to the room and watch basketball. Kids wanted to hit MK for some rides. I was a little hesitant as MK was listed as 10/10 crowds that day. But we did it - caught the bus back to MK and said goodbye to Dad. We went to Pirates first since it had a reasonably short wait (30 min). After that they begged me for a Splash and BTMRR run. Which we did. Line really wasn't too bad. We walked around a bit then decided to head back so we could make RD at MK for our last Disney day :(

Next Up: Magic Kingdom - Last Day :guilty: But with a surprise cameo!!!

Magic Kingdom - 3/27/15

Last day depression was already setting in! We woke up early and I got everyone breakfast from the food court. The we took the bus to MK and watched the welcome show. We headed left this time and did our Frontierland favorites. We really wore this out over the week, but what can I say... Afterwards we hit HH one more time, then Pirates again. It was a really busy day and at this point, we were doing whatever had a short line. We had our our 7DMT FP and here was the highlight of my trip. As we were entering the loading area to get into the corrals for the ride, the group that had just ridden was exiting. And right in front of me, Steven Tyler walked by. My husband said "Hey Steven!" and he turned back around and said hello. I was floored. :worship:It reminded me of that diet Coke commercial from a few years ago. After the ride I was still starstruck. Mark went to use the restrooms by Pinocchio's and texted me from the bathroom to say he was in there with Steven Tyler. I positioned myself to see him when we walked out without overtly gawking and was able to get this very blurry picture:

Once I got over myself we walked over to the castle to watch the Dream Long with Mickey show, then headed to Casey's for lunch. After lunch we had a FP for Peter Pan, which we have never ridden. I love this movie and the ride was super cute, though I could not imagine waiting 90 minutes to ride it as some folks were doing. After our ride, we had a frozen lemonade. Mark decided he was done and Ben wanted to go back to the hotel with him. Cate and I weren't ready to hang it up and we headed to Tomorrowland and rode PeopleMover, then the Teacups again. All the wait times were super long so we walked around a bit until our FP for Anna and Elsa. This experience made me tear up. Cate turned 10 right after we got back, and it is so hard for me to accept she is growing up and will soon be annoyed by things like Disney princesses. Watching how animated she was with them was so endearing to me. Anna was awesome - very talkative and expressive. Elsa a little less so :/

Afterwards Cate obliged me with Hall of Presidents. Another attractions I truly love. After the show we exited to find ourselves smack in the middle of the Festival of Fantasy parade and a major downpour. We stood in the rain and watched most of the parade then headed to the bus :( I seriously wanted to cry - we had planned this trip for over a year and it was over. I think I worry that betweentrips my kids will outgrow Disney and it won't have the same magic. Silly, I know.

We got back to our room and I packed while the rest watched TV. Then we got dinner from the food court and hit the pool. It was really chilly and DME was picking us up at 5, so we went to bed early. Next day we were on the bus and at the airport and at our gate within an hour. Can't beat that. Arrived home in Nashville at 10:00am.

All in all this was such a fabulous trip. We learned a lot and will have some repeats and some skips next trip.

Things we would do again:
POFQ - though we do plan to try a deluxe next time, POFQ is a great experience we would gladly do again
Via Napoli - thumbs up! Will make room for dessert next time
Midday breaks- this helped us pace ourselves better
Wishes - we will do this earlier in the week next time. It really tired us out for the remaining two days.
Animation Academy at HS
Deluxe resort tour - this was a nice way to take a break
BOG lunch!
Bring the pop up hamper - this was the best item I packed
Garden Grocer - very convenient
Skip luggage service with DME - it was much easier handling our own bags
Early arrival flight - made a built in resort day arriving by noon
Deluxe resort tour - easy built in break
Memory Maker

Things to try/add next trip
Fort Wilderness - we have yet to explore this at all
Illuminations
More country touring at WS
Signature dining - I think our kids will be mature enough next time to spend this kind of $

Things we will skip/change next trip:
So many ADRs - you all would not know it, but we had one TS booked each day, some days 2. I cancelled most of them as the week went on because it just didn't fit our touring style. Next time I will be more spontaneous and not so locked into a dining schedule.
I will pack less - I WAAAYY overpacked

Thanks to all who joined in. I look forward to reading your reports as you take your trips!

Last edited:
Steven Tyler!!! Wowwza!! That is so cool!! I don't think I would know what to say. I guess the stars like Disney too lol. Was he alone or with anyone? Looks like you packed a lot in to a last MK day...so fun! I agree with you about ADR's...if you book too many it can be stressful and you can't change your mind....problem is, there are so many good places to try and there are never enough meals to fit them all in. I guess that's why we keep wanting to go back. Sigh.

Steven Tyler!!! Wowwza!! That is so cool!! I don't think I would know what to say. I guess the stars like Disney too lol. Was he alone or with anyone? Looks like you packed a lot in to a last MK day...so fun! I agree with you about ADR's...if you book too many it can be stressful and you can't change your mind....problem is, there are so many good places to try and there are never enough meals to fit them all in. I guess that's why we keep wanting to go back. Sigh.
He wasn't with any kids or grandkids from what I could tell, but he had an entourage with him, including two Disney guides. The irony of this was that after RnRC I was trying to explain Aerosmith to the kids and how they make us grownups like the ride that much more. The we run into him 3 days later. They still didn't get it. Now if we had spotted Arianna Grande...

Great report! The pictures bring you right in. Totally understand the post-trip depression... (just getting over our spring break Disney Cruise) :sad: . Thank you for taking the time to put it together for all of us! :grouphug:
P.S. Don't worry that the kiddos won't like Disney when they grow up. Two of mine are in their 20's and still LOVE our Disney trips! :hyper:

Imagine going to Disney with guides and an entourage lol...I guess in some ways it's gotta suck not being able to just be normal about things...oh well. The price to pay for being a zillionaire lol Arianna Grande would have been a mob scene of tween girls...my DD is obsessed.

I was in the MK on the 27th too. I'm bummed about missing Steven Tyler, the one day I didn't check social media was that day. It wasn't until later that I realized I missed being on the lookout for him :sad: Yeah that sudden downpour caught us too. I was sitting all bunched up in my poncho nice and dry, then the guy next to me moved and I ended up sitting in a puddle :crazy2: :sad1: It looks like you guys had a blast. The post Disney depression really does suck, that's where I am too now :sad: I don't think kids ever really grow out of Disney. My Mom and Dad would take me as a child now I'm almost 30 and bringing them along :yay::woohoo:

Steve Tyler!!!:worship::worship::worship:I
I absolutely enjoyed reading your trip report. I've stayed at both the Poly and Wilderness Lodge...they are so different but both are awesome!
:flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter