Best Disney Hotel for runD weekends?

Great question!

Stayed at OKW several years ago and no complaints. Quiet resort and not too far away. Stayed close to lobby which helped. Close to Disney Springs for the good food.

Stayed last year at CSR. Food there was great! Buses were always available. Pool was very quiet. Fairly close to Epcot.

Stayed at AKL this year. Pool was fairly quiet. Food was good. Always had a bus no problems whatsoever. Far away from Springs and Epcot. But the ride was chill so no real complaints.

I've stayed at
2009- CSR
2010- Poly
2017- offsite
2018- AoA
2019- AKL Kidani
2020- Pop
2022- ASMo/BCV
2023- CCV

Choosing a hotel for race weekends is a struggle for me. I like DVC because you get the kitchenette (or kitchen depending on room size) and I like being able to prepare my own food and stay away from some of the greasy resort food. But I hate that there's no food courts and whatever QS they have usually isn't great (as far as variety of choices. I'm very picky)

I love the values because as has been mentioned there are tons of runners so the atmosphere is fun and the transportation to races is always top notch, buses are always waiting.

I think next year I might go Moderate just because I haven't in a long time and I've always wanted to stay at POFQ.
POFQ is a great hotel. We stayed one night heading into Marathon weekend, when we had to fly down early to avoid a snow storm. Haven't stayed there for an actual race, but loved the hotel.

Best Hotel is kind of subjective it honestly depends on your budget & touring style.
I’ve personally done the following:
W&D 16 & 17 ASMo
SW 18 Pop
W&D 18 & 19 ASMo
W&D 21 POFQ (this was the year when it was surprise! It’s July and Wine & Dine is in four months and the time the cheapest hotel open is AKL for $600 a night… thankfully French Quarter announced it was reopening literally the week before race weekend and we could pivot)
MW 22 AoA
SS 22 Pop
W&D 22 Pop
SS 23 ASMu
W&D 23 will be Pop pending getting bibs

Stayed at All Stars Music and thought it was ok. But reading this thread looking into Pop

Got into the 1/2 at WDW, it’s been YEARS since we stayed. We are a family of 4(Myself, DH & 2almost adult DD) and I picket the Poly deluxe studio with the 3 beds & Kitchenette. Good/Bad? - any advice is welcome
Loved Boardwalk years ago, but worried about getting around using mainly the buses

Got into the 1/2 at WDW, it’s been YEARS since we stayed. We are a family of 4(Myself, DH & 2almost adult DD) and I picket the Poly deluxe studio with the 3 beds & Kitchenette. Good/Bad? - any advice is welcome
Loved Boardwalk years ago, but worried about getting around using mainly the buses
For the half, typically to the start you take the monorail. Then for general transportation to the parks you have monorail or boat to MK and monorail to Epcot. Poly is fairly good when it comes to transportation.

Just a note for anyone thinking of staying at Pop for a race weekend—rD buses load over by the park buses, all the way at the end, so if you get stuck with a room at the far end of the 50s section like me, you’re going to walk more than a 3rd of a mile just to get between your room and the bus.

It would be much nicer if they loaded near the front door like they do at the All-Stars

Just a note for anyone thinking of staying at Pop for a race weekend—rD buses load over by the park buses, all the way at the end, so if you get stuck with a room at the far end of the 50s section like me, you’re going to walk more than a 3rd of a mile just to get between your room and the bus.

It would be much nicer if they loaded near the front door like they do at the All-Stars
Then the people in the 90s would have a longer walk ;)

Pop isn't the worst one in that respect. At SSR or OKW there is only one pick up spot and you have to walk a good ways or take the internal shuttle which it may just be better to walk anyways.

I stayed at Port Orleans Riverside this past weekend and thought it was perfect. I did drive myself as I had a car but I did so after realizing how close Epcot was and there was no road closure coming from the resort. It made it extra easy.

We have stayed at several resorts over the years. Last year we became DVC owners and stayed at our home resort, Poly. Great location and love the resort, however, we like to get to bed early as we do the W&D Challenge. The electrical water pagent woke us up both nights. For summertime surprise weekend, we stayed at the Dolphin. Buses were great and location is awesome. Trying to get into Boardwalk for this years W&D. Hope it isn’t too loud.

2017 Star Wars - fort wilderness cabins
2019 W&D - carribean beach
2021 W&D - AKL- Kidani / Grand Floridian
2022 W&D - Saratoga
2023 MW - Grand Floridian
2023 W&D - Saratoga (probably; wait listing beach club)

My absolute favorite was GFV over MW since I could take the monorail. I would pay *all the points* always if this were an option for every half. It was also great when W&D started at the TTC area prior to last year.

Our bus from Saratoga got lost for the 10K last year for W&D. Basically took us almost an hour and half to get to the race, which was a bummer but could happen from anywhere. I would absolutely prefer an Epcot resort for W&D due to international gateway entrance for the party, but the DVC rooms sold out quickly there. We did enjoy the close proximity to Disney springs last year though as we were able to walk and have many choices for meals/drinks all weekend.

Late to the party on this one, but my personal choice based on what I would like to do before and after race day would be the Boardwalk. Not the most affordable option but it would be my preferred choice,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter