Best Disney Hotel for runD weekends?

I have done Pop, All-Star Sports, Port Orleans Riverside, Coronado Springs, Art of Animation and Wilderness Lodge. My two favourites have been POP and WL. Pop just has a different vibe during MW as it is just full of runners. The camaraderie and community is palatable. It was also my first resort when I did Goofy in 2015, so maybe I am being too nostalgic? But it is a really fun atmosphere. My favourite though is WL, first it is my favourite resort - period. I worked for the Park Service for a number of years, so WL feels so much like home to me. I like the proximity/boat ride to MK, the calm and relaxing feel of the resort as a whole. It has really good food options, I love to eat at Geyser Point. Great Lake views nice pool options and did I mention Geyser Point!

I try to choose a resort based on what I like to do apart from the races. Guess that’s why we typically end up somewhere with easy access to DHS and Epcot, the two parks we spend the most time visiting. Can’t beat the convenience of Poly for race morning though. Short walk to the station and easy trip to Epcot is a bit more relaxing than taking a bus.

I have stayed at the following for race weekends...

2015 - MW - Port Orleans Riverside
2016 - MW - Beach Club
2017 - MW - Saratoga Springs
2018 - MW - Bay Lake Tower
2018 - W&D - Pop Century
2019 - MW - Pop Century
2019 - W&D - Caribbean Beach
2020 - MW - Caribbean Beach
2022 - MW - Boardwalk
2022 - SS - Coronado Springs
2022 - W&D - Pop Cenurty/Dolphin
2023 - MW - Animal Kingdom Lodge

I am staying at Riverside for Princess and then Old Key West for Springtime.

Resorts really depend on A. what you can afford and B. what you are looking to get out of them. As I continue to do these races I see my resort time increasing and my park time lessening a bit so I have been tending to staying at more deluxe resorts when I can. Especially this past Marathon Weekend I loved just sitting on my balcony watching the animals.

Last year we stayed at OKW, and then moved to BRV after the marathon (never do this if you can avoid it!) I was not blown away by WL/BR, and it was a looong walk from the parking lot to our building. And STAIRS?! No.

I really liked how quiet OKW is, but we were toward the back (building 55) and even though they had an internal shuttle bus going around to take runners to the front for the race bus, I had just missed it, so I chose to walk to the front (which was about 0.8mi.)

This year we stayed a SSR, in the "preferred section" down by the entrance to Disney Springs. I think this suits us pretty well since we didn't do a ton of park days (just 2, and probably 1 or 0 in the future.) I liked what they had available at the QS, and there are obviously tons of choices within easy walking distance at DS also. What I didn't like: I'm not sure there's an internal shuttle bus? I guess we could have used a park bus for a couple of stops to get by to our section though. DH rode the race bus back to the resort with me post-marathon and then walked back to our room and got our car, drove up to the front and picked me up. Because there's no way I was walking almost a mile to our room at that point.

Am I correct that the monorail only runs for Marathon Weekend, and only for the half and full?

Am I correct that the monorail only runs for Marathon Weekend, and only for the half and full?
yes. and the monorail is the ONLY way for those resorts to get to the start those days; there are no busses from the monorail resorts on Saturday and Sunday of marathon weekend.

yes. and the monorail is the ONLY way for those resorts to get to the start those days; there are no busses from the monorail resorts on Saturday and Sunday of marathon weekend.
And monorail doesn't run as race transportation for any of the W&D, Princess or SS weekends, correct?

And monorail doesn't run as race transportation for any of the W&D, Princess or SS weekends, correct?
Not typically but as always we won't know for sure until event guides are released. For several years Wine & Dine 10K and Half started at MK parking so those at the Poly could just walk to the start.

I *think* (I could very well be wrong) that for the HM for princess they also use the monorail because it's "always" the same course as the half for MW and requires the same road closures that necessitate the use of the monorail for those resorts. But maybe not because PW is smaller than MW? I feel like I recall the monorail being used for the princess half though.....

I *think* (I could very well be wrong) that for the HM for princess they also use the monorail because it's "always" the same course as the half for MW and requires the same road closures that necessitate the use of the monorail for those resorts. But maybe not because PW is smaller than MW? I feel like I recall the monorail being used for the princess half though.....
I seem to recall that it was listed as running for the Princess 2022 half, but since I don’t stay at monorail resorts, I didn’t pay much attention

After driving to the start MW 2022 I will never rely on Disney transportation for races again. I loved having a car and control of my own timing. With that in mind I would make my decision based on the resort you like the best. The only caveat I'd add is that if you are doing a race that runs from DHS to Epcot via the canal path, and you have family that wants to watch you run, staying at one of the Crescent Lake resorts is an added bonus.

I usually like to stay in the Crescent Lake area so I can walk to/from Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Swan/Dolphin was usually the hotel I chose because even after the resort and valet parking fees it was cheaper than Disney (and their restaurants are better!!!). I stayed in the Gran Destino Tower for MW and was pleasantly surprised at just how much I loved it. We really enjoyed the food options there - Toledo and Dahlia Lounge were fabulous!!! The tower is just absolutely beautiful and the room was very nice. The Disney touches were subtle and that’s exactly how I prefer it. I booked a Tower standard king room, but had a small view of water along with Epcot and Swan/Dolphin. The Tower was the first stop for race busses for pick up and drop off. The resort is huge just like CBR so I don’t see myself staying in any of the other locations there. I like not having to leave a building to dine if the weather is crummy.

Crescent Lake area has my vote as well. We've done BW, Beach Club and Swan/Dolphin for various race weekends (we were at the Dolphin this year). We love them for easy access to Epcot and DHS and the short bus ride to the start/ finish. Also, on the way back, you can always hop on a different bus given the resorts are (relatively) close together.

I love the Poly for MW. Easy walk over to the TTC to catch the first monorail of the day, and then a quick monorail ride back to your hotel afterwards rather than dealing with busses. Plus, you know, the Poly is just the best!

Speaking of the ramp to the Epcot monorail, after a marathon one year, I got to the top with my legs screaming at me, only to notice at the top that I could have taken the elevator! :crutches::rotfl2:

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than me KNOWING about the elevator but CHOOSING the ramp anyway after finishing Dopey this year! I had hoped it would loosen up some things, and it did but boy was it no fun.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than me KNOWING about the elevator but CHOOSING the ramp anyway after finishing Dopey this year! I had hoped it would loosen up some things, and it did but boy was it no fun.
At Princess 2022, I deliberately chose the stairs to my top floor room at ASMu every single time, except on arrival and departure because of my suitcase. Getting up to my room after my first ever in-person half was an experience, to say the least 😆😆

I've stayed at
2009- CSR
2010- Poly
2017- offsite
2018- AoA
2019- AKL Kidani
2020- Pop
2022- ASMo/BCV
2023- CCV

Choosing a hotel for race weekends is a struggle for me. I like DVC because you get the kitchenette (or kitchen depending on room size) and I like being able to prepare my own food and stay away from some of the greasy resort food. But I hate that there's no food courts and whatever QS they have usually isn't great (as far as variety of choices. I'm very picky)

I love the values because as has been mentioned there are tons of runners so the atmosphere is fun and the transportation to races is always top notch, buses are always waiting.

I think next year I might go Moderate just because I haven't in a long time and I've always wanted to stay at POFQ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter