Best Disney ship for couple only trip

The Wonder is my favorite, and the Fantasy my second favorite, but I always choose based on schedule (which means I've only been on the Fantasy once). Unless you have no interest in the adult pool area, I'd void the Wish, but other than that, you can't go wrong.

We are doing a 5 night magic for my 50th birthday - I wanted caribbean (relaxing "vacation" and not "travel" and feeling obligated to make the most of seeing things in any one port) and the only other one was the Fantasy with its first ever stop to lighthouse point so prices were bonkers (more than 2x for the 7 night than I paid for the 5 night) at the time we booked.

But also I just wanted the smaller ship as I think it is overall a more chill experience, less crowded and more intimate feel, and I expect serenity bay to feel like my own private beach - with our cruise holding fewer people to start with and being vastly undersold compared to the Fantasy of the same week.

I have not been on the Magic in 20 years but I have been on the Dream/Fantasy with kiddo much more recently and had a nice time also. Only thing I'll miss is the aquaduck, but for half the price of the cruise it's not a deal killer. You won't get me on that "floor drops out from under you" thing on the Magic.
The half-century cruise. Fun! We did Wonder in Alaska for mine.

I don’t find enough significant difference among the original 4 ships to matter. And, yes, there are more venues in D&F. But the experience is still a Disney cruise, with fewer guests.

A day at Serenity Bay does sound like a grand celebration.

Have a great cruise and another run of years. Bon Voyage!

The half-century cruise. Fun! We did Wonder in Alaska for mine.

I don’t find enough significant difference among the original 4 ships to matter. And, yes, there are more venues in D&F. But the experience is still a Disney cruise, with fewer guests.

A day at Serenity Bay does sound like a grand celebration.

Have a great cruise and another run of years. Bon Voyage!
I thought about doing something more "special" but honestly I am working so many hours and so tired I did not want to do a "trip" and I was worried about the airfare to someplace much further away and cascading expenses. I want to be able to take another trip later in the year with my kiddo so was trying to keep the budget somewhat under control. But Alaska is definitely on the "bucket list!"

I booked the mojito tasting and we'll see where the day takes us but once I saw that my actual birthday would be on CC I was sold. I thought about booking Palo that night but with only 5 nights didn't want to miss a rotational (my partner has never been on a Disney cruise and I haven't been on the magic since 2005 and don't want to miss the tangled dinner and my luck that's how it would play out!) so I booked it for pirate night instead.

I thought about doing something more "special" but honestly I am working so many hours and so tired I did not want to do a "trip" and I was worried about the airfare to someplace much further away and cascading expenses. I want to be able to take another trip later in the year with my kiddo so was trying to keep the budget somewhat under control. But Alaska is definitely on the "bucket list!"

I booked the mojito tasting and we'll see where the day takes us but once I saw that my actual birthday would be on CC I was sold. I thought about booking Palo that night but with only 5 nights didn't want to miss a rotational (my partner has never been on a Disney cruise and I haven't been on the magic since 2005 and don't want to miss the tangled dinner and my luck that's how it would play out!) so I booked it for pirate night instead.
We intentionally pick Pirate Night for Palo. Not just the menu preference, but as you said - the Rotational aspect with associated shows.

Rapunzel’s visit to your table can be delightful. She speaks highly of Flynn. And the venue is well decorated.

Alaska can be a budget (and time) buster, especially for East Coast or Europeans. Since our last visit, excursions have really gone up. We have moved away from DCL for Alaska, giving us different itineraries and better cabins for less money.

Sounds like a solid choice for your celebration. On my actual birthday. It was the slow cruise up the fjord to see a glacier. Lots of relaxation. But the drink was hot chocolate while bundled up - not cold and fruity cocktails in swim attire.

We intentionally pick Pirate Night for Palo. Not just the menu preference, but as you said - the Rotational aspect with associated shows.

Rapunzel’s visit to your table can be delightful. She speaks highly of Flynn. And the venue is well decorated.

Alaska can be a budget (and time) buster, especially for East Coast or Europeans. Since our last visit, excursions have really gone up. We have moved away from DCL for Alaska, giving us different itineraries and better cabins for less money.

Sounds like a solid choice for your celebration. On my actual birthday. It was the slow cruise up the fjord to see a glacier. Lots of relaxation. But the drink was hot chocolate while bundled up - not cold and fruity cocktails in swim attire.
I never minded the pirate night menu honestly (I remember the samosas being quite good!) but as an adult traveling without a kid I could stand to miss the hoopla of the dinner. We are traveling with another (childless) couple who are first time cruisers and while I booked the last secret verandah on the port side, I had them book on the starboard side and I am pretty sure we can view the fireworks from their verandah. Everything is about being low key and chill, lol... I'd like to see the fireworks but not fight the crowds.

Yes, anything that is more about the excursions is much more likely to be a budget buster. It costs so much time and money to get out there (wherever "there" is) that IMO it is silly to skimp on experiences once you are there, so you just have to plan and budget for it. We are planning to go to Iceland (not a cruise) in 2026 and that will be an active and tiring trip with more than one $500-600/couple excursion type things booked and it will require a lot of planning and is sure to be spectacular and memorable and expensive. None of which I wanted for my birthday, lol.

@Lisa F - if I had a bucket list, Iceland would be in the Top 10 (for non-repeats). And, yes, $$$ for everything there. But there are too many marvels in the World to even have a list. I have made lists of my life experiences and am amazed at all the adventures this “normal” person has had and am grateful.

Hope your future adventures bring you happiness and continue on.

Totally agree with this. I think the four original ships all have their good points - I love the original AP on the Magic/Wonder, the smaller crowds and the more personal users service. On the Dream/Fantasy I love the Aquaduck and the mini golf, and the better selection of bars.

I still haven’t been on the Wish, but the four original are more similar than they are different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter