Best Disneyland Restaurants for value - wwyd?

Hands down the quick service version of GCH Craftsman is the value winner for quality/quantity of food at Disneyland resort. It's our hidden gem when we need a break. A pizza and a nacho more than satisfy our family of 4 and I'm also a fan of the freestyle machines.

We liked lamplight and although a bit pricy, we were a fan of the lobster nachos and we said we would likely just order 2 of those and a few other things on future visits.

We liked the breakfast brunch at the plaza inn. Food was solid and the kids liked the characters.

Quick service at Disneyland is awesome and you have a lot of good recommendations already. Some additional ones to consider. The chili cone-queso and the mac and cheese cones are very packed calorie dense food/snack items that a tasty treat that will fill you up. One of those and a churro or two from the other cone nearby (this one has @MrsNVDISFamily favorite dipping sauce in the park) can sub in for a meal when we are not crazy hungry and on the go. I'd say sharing two of them would really satisfy any hunger...

Galactic Grill - it's still hard for me to recommend this place from having some traumatic food misses when I was a younger duck but I have to admit every visit in the recent years has been great. Solid breakfast here too.

Ronto Rosters and Docking Bay - great food here. We like to get a few wraps from Ronto and also grab something at docking. Cold brew is my go to adult/caffeine treat. If you have never had the veggie/fake meat wrap... get one! They are amazing. We like the meat one too, but the veggie one is the best and it's sad WDW doesn't have it.

The hot dog place in DCA in Hollywood land is decent and the asada fries are a family favorite that fills us up.

I agree with the others that say to drop Goofy's & possibly the others. If you want to splurge on a dining experience I would do the WOC dessert party. We went to Goofys Kitchen a very long time ago and also another a character dining that used to be in the old DCA. We had great time at both BUT I will not be booking Goofys again for this trip. The reason I booked them last time was I didn't want our son to not be able to meet the characters or waste time waiting in line -- both of these were silly. I was not impressed with the food & TBH left a bad taste in my mouth for DL food for awhile. I felt like I was really overcharged and it just wasn't worth it.

You have 8 days you will have NO problem seeing the characters and like many others have pointed out they wander around in the park. This time we are going to be doing the Princess Breakfast BUT this is a big splurge and an experience that just my daughter & I are doing. I also have heard nothing but raves about. I am a little annoyed that Elsa & Anna aren't included in it but that's fine I will probably be waiting in line to see them a few times in the 6 days we are there 🤣

If you are insistent on doing one I would looking Minnes Plaza -- this one seems to have great reviews. If you want to do Storytellers look at booking a later time that you can hit not only breakfast but also the none breakfast foods I listed to a podcast where they booked I think it was like 11:30 and got both & felt like this was the only way to do it. I guess also they have a 'menu' you can ask them to bring you that they don't advertise that has special things you can order that is included.

There are also many restaurants not far out of the "bubble" (walkable) that we've enjoyed and are less pricey. It gives you a break from "park" food and crowds. (I know that wasn't you ask, but offering it up just in case). Mimi's cafe is up Harbor Blvd (toward Howard Johnson hotel). It is large, good ac and a big menu. We also went to McCormick & Schmick Seafood off Katella a couple years back, it was nice and felt like a good value. There's a lot more near by we haven't tried but hear good things. Our trips are always just a couple days, but if I were staying a week, I would defininately rotate in some off property places.

Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta spaghetti and meatballs at DCA for 10.99. It is the best deal in all of Disneyland resort and the pasta there is very good for park food but the pizza is overpriced.

I would do storytellers for dinner like you suggest. The extra price ($13) is worth it and you get a sit down dinner, air conditioned environment and a nice buffet.

But there is a French Dip pizza that is worth every penny.
That is on my list to try next week. Glad to hear it’s good!!

Here are my must try counter service items (although I def won’t get to all of them)
DISNEYLAND
Jolly holiday Mickey shaped sugar cookie and Soup/sandwich
Ronto breakfast wrap
Docking bay 7 cold brew
Corndog little red wagon
Red rose tavern-Gourmet Breakfast
Sandwich or Patty Melt Potato Bites
Alien pizza-enchilada pizza
Hand pies
Candy Palace has Strawberry
Pooh Corner has Lemon
Trolley Treats has Blueberry (the MVP)
Galactic Grill Tropical Fruit Parfait

DCA
Lucky Fortune Baymax macaron
Pyms Kitchen pretzel
Pyms Lab Particle Fizz
Boardwalk Pizza French Onion Dip Pizza
Pacific Wharf bread pudding
Schmoozies Chocolate-Caramel and
Peanut Shake
ETA: I’ve done some of these before and I’ve done quite a few of the table service places. This is a “cheap” trip, so these are my treats and also best choices that are (hopefully) tasty and filling on a budget. Doesn’t really fit the “healthy” requirement, though. 🤣

Last edited:
I'm just going to agree with almost everything DLgal said EXCEPT about Blue Bayou It's my very favorite restaurant in DLR, and I love the atmosphere. Be sure to ask for a waterside table when you check in and be willing to wait for it. They'll almost always tell you it could be an hour but I've never had to wait very long.
I agree with this. Blue Bayou is certainly not a good value, but if you ask and wait for a waterside table, the ambiance cannot be beat. I also like the food … if you’re careful about what you order. But it’s way overpriced.

The last time we ate there (May) I checked in 15 minutes early at the podium and asked if we could wait for a waterside table. She kind of asked like it was a big thing and went to “ask the manager” and came back and said yes, we could wait but it would be an hour (which was fine by me). I got a text that our table was ready 7 minutes later.

Lamplight is awesome, definitely keep that.

I also love a number of yummy quick service restaurants (Docking Bay 7, Ronto Roasters, Bengal BBQ, Rancho del Zocalo).

Naples in Downtown Disney can be a good value if you order one of their large pizzas. It’s $40 but I feel like it could feed a family of four with two adults, two kids, maybe add an appetizer or salad or something to round it out. The pizza there is so good.

IMHO BB is worth doing once, just for the atmosphere and the 'historical' value. BUT I feel it's only worth it if you can get a waterside table, or one very near the water.

As far as 'value', the best value DH and I get is to split meals and maybe order an extra side of somethin or we'd order a la carte or off the appetizer menu . Unless things have changed a LOT, the portions at most places are too big for us to finish with separate meals and we ended up throwing food away. I hate food waste! So for example at a CS place we'd order a burger/chicken sammie & fries + extra order of fries. At a TS we'd order an extra dinner salad or side dish + one entree.

We never do buffet or 'prix fixe' because neither of us can eat $40-60 worth of food in one go.

I thought I'd mention one of my very favorite snacks--which is more of a meal for me. It's a bagel twist from Maurice's cart in the princess area. They have 2 kinds, sweet and savory. I get the savory which I think is called cheddar garlic bagel twist. It's quite large and very delicious. I'm not big on garlic but this is delicious. The sweet one is strawberry, I think, but I've never tried it. They also have a yummy drink called a Boysen Apple Freeze.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230723_080221_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230723_080221_Google.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 6
But there is a French Dip pizza that is worth every penny.
I saw that on the menu! I am going to try that during my August trip, I am Italian and very picky when it comes to pizza and Italian food but I am going to try it!

I saw that on the menu! I am going to try that during my August trip, I am Italian and very picky when it comes to pizza and Italian food but I am going to try it!

It's not Italian. So you should love it!

It's a symphony of caramelized onions, melty cheese, beef and bread. It does not have a sauce. You dip it in Au Jus. It's literally a French dip sandwich in pizza form.

It's not Italian. So you should love it!

It's a symphony of caramelized onions, melty cheese, beef and bread. It does not have a sauce. You dip it in Au Jus. It's literally a French dip sandwich in pizza form.
I love French Dip sandwiches...I used to love those at the French Market!! Looking forward to it. I will definitely have a slice or two on my trip!!

I thought I'd mention one of my very favorite snacks--which is more of a meal for me. It's a bagel twist from Maurice's cart in the princess area. They have 2 kinds, sweet and savory. I get the savory which I think is called cheddar garlic bagel twist. It's quite large and very delicious. I'm not big on garlic but this is delicious. The sweet one is strawberry, I think, but I've never tried it. They also have a yummy drink called a Boysen Apple Freeze.
ok- I HAVE to try that. It looks so good! Maurice's always surprises me with the yummy menu options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter