Best face mask for Disney?

maryj11

DIS Veteran
I have tried 3 different ones here at home and really didn’t like any of them. I have tried the light blue disposable ones they sell in a box like doctors wear. I have a stiff material one along with another one that is not real stiff but still hot to wear.. The light blue ones seemed the best but still not comfortable.
I have been wearing them while sanding my deck. I have to take a break every 30 minutes because I feel my face sweating and need to breath some cooler air. It’s been around 90 degrees here so similar to Florida weather.
Anyone have any suggestions on a good mask that are comfortable and breathable? Oh also that don’t steam up lenses on glasses. 🙄

We just ordered some neck gaiters for the family to try. I've used them when fishing for sun protection and when they are damp, they give a cooling sensation as well. My thought is that since they are very breathable and around your neck, they are easy on/off for eating and drinking as well as secure on rides. They seem to be acceptable as face coverings for the parks as they are secure and closed from nose to chin whereas basic bandanas and what not are not (technically) allowed.

Edit: also, to help with your glasses, pick up some Rain X Anti Fog. Either that or go simple and use dish soap or shaving cream.

We just ordered some neck gaiters for the family to try. I've used them when fishing for sun protection and when they are damp, they give a cooling sensation as well. My thought is that since they are very breathable and around your neck, they are easy on/off for eating and drinking as well as secure on rides. They seem to be acceptable as face coverings for the parks as they are secure and closed from nose to chin whereas basic bandanas and what not are not (technically) allowed.

Edit: also, to help with your glasses, pick up some Rain X Anti Fog. Either that or go simple and use dish soap or shaving cream.
I’m not sure when your trip is, so perhaps this will change again before then, but Disney has unfortunately confirmed that no gaiters of any form will be permitted.

If you know someone who sews, ask them to make a "Jesse" mask for you. It's a free pattern designed by an architect. They're fitted to your face measurements and the top of the mask dips below your eyeglasses. They're easy to make and cost no more than $2 in materials.

I've been making masks for relatives and friends and know that everyone seems to prefer a different shape. Once you figure out what's most comfortable, it's not as annoying to wear a mask.

I’m not sure when your trip is, so perhaps this will change again before then, but Disney has unfortunately confirmed that no gaiters of any form will be permitted.
What?! Ugh... My trip is the first week of Sept. I doubt any restrictions will ease by then given the current state of affairs in FL.

Yesterday I did read they are not allowing gaiters. Hopefully they will change that rule.

Oh also that don’t steam up lenses on glasses
I can't speak to how well it works, but I have read that if you wash your lenses with Dawn dish soap, it helps prevent fogging. I've also heard rubbing toothpaste on lenses and washing them off will help prevent fogging.

I found the traditional blue ones to be the best in the heat overall but I hear the neck gaiters are now not allowed and folks are being asked to take them off.

When I was there around June 22nd for our DVC only stay I wore an N94, the traditional blue masks and a neck gaiter. Most of the time I folded the gaiter so it had at least two layers of fabric. It’s honestly kind of a silly requirement demanding what style of face covering folks choose since N94’s still are the only mask to provide actual, effective results.

Last edited:
I can't speak to how well it works, but I have read that if you wash your lenses with Dawn dish soap, it helps prevent fogging. I've also heard rubbing toothpaste on lenses and washing them off will help prevent fogging.

This is a principle we use often in scuba diving (my husband and I are professional underwater photographers) - it prevents condensation. People use soap, various commercial products, and even spit. It works quite well (although not perfectly if you have a filter in your mask). One tip from personal experience on dive boats - you can carry a tiny spray bottle mixture of baby shampoo or other liquid soap mixed with water with you when you head into the parks for the day, spray onto the inside of your glasses, then buff.

This is a principle we use often in scuba diving (my husband and I are professional underwater photographers) - it prevents condensation. People use soap, various commercial products, and even spit. It works quite well (although not perfectly if you have a filter in your mask). One tip from personal experience on dive boats - you can carry a tiny spray bottle mixture of baby shampoo or other liquid soap mixed with water with you when you head into the parks for the day, spray onto the inside of your glasses, then buff.
Thanks for the tip😁

Ok thank you for the info

Thanks for the tip😁
I just tried it with and without a filter fitted into another one of the masks I 'll be wearing (triple layer, quite tailored but without a nose wire) - works better to prevent fogging without the filter, obviously, but still far better than using nothing. Score!

If you know someone who sews, ask them to make a "Jesse" mask for you. It's a free pattern designed by an architect. They're fitted to your face measurements and the top of the mask dips below your eyeglasses. They're easy to make and cost no more than $2 in materials.

I've been making masks for relatives and friends and know that everyone seems to prefer a different shape. Once you figure out what's most comfortable, it's not as annoying to wear a mask.
Material choice really makes a difference on these. My wife has made a couple hundred of these and we have found cotton really make a difference. There are also different types of elastic. The softer once that you can tie behind your head is what we have found works best.

The wire over the bridge of your nose also matters for keeping glasses from fogging.

I have tried 3 different ones here at home and really didn’t like any of them. I have tried the light blue disposable ones they sell in a box like doctors wear. I have a stiff material one along with another one that is not real stiff but still hot to wear.. The light blue ones seemed the best but still not comfortable.
I have been wearing them while sanding my deck. I have to take a break every 30 minutes because I feel my face sweating and need to breath some cooler air. It’s been around 90 degrees here so similar to Florida weather.
Anyone have any suggestions on a good mask that are comfortable and breathable? Oh also that don’t steam up lenses on glasses. 🙄
I have made about 125 masks for family and friends using a pattern posted on the Toledo, Ohio Promedica Website. (I started my mask making adventures for hospital personnel. Family and friends came after that project.) I have had no complaints but requests for additional. I use 160 count cotton with a layer of sew-in interfacing. My directions said do not use iron-on interfacing due to allergies some people have. I have four size of patterns down to age 6. I adjusted the pattern a bit to make for nieces and nephews down to age three. (Of course, all were Mickey and Minnie Mouse cotton fabrics.) I have also made masks that go over the N-95 medical grade masks so the N-95 can be used more than once. (This may no longer be necessary as PPE is now readily avaiLable.) I do not throw the masks in the laundry but rince in soap and water and hang to dry. If making a mask for someone that wears glasses I add a piece of pipe cleaner on the inside to form to the nose under the bridge of the glasses so lens do not fog. The pattern is very fitted so generally the nose wire is not necessary. As the masks are cotton they have been doing overtime soaking up perspiration in our Ohio weather that has been in the 90s with HIGH humidity. So I am guessing they would work well at Disney. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour per mask as I add fun embellishments and top stitching etc. Sorry for the long post but maybe this will help. I know there are also patterns on Pinterest.

I have made about 125 masks for family and friends using a pattern posted on the Toledo, Ohio Promedica Website. (I started my mask making adventures for hospital personnel. Family and friends came after that project.) I have had no complaints but requests for additional. I use 160 count cotton with a layer of sew-in interfacing. My directions said do not use iron-on interfacing due to allergies some people have. I have four size of patterns down to age 6. I adjusted the pattern a bit to make for nieces and nephews down to age three. (Of course, all were Mickey and Minnie Mouse cotton fabrics.) I have also made masks that go over the N-95 medical grade masks so the N-95 can be used more than once. (This may no longer be necessary as PPE is now readily avaiLable.) I do not throw the masks in the laundry but rince in soap and water and hang to dry. If making a mask for someone that wears glasses I add a piece of pipe cleaner on the inside to form to the nose under the bridge of the glasses so lens do not fog. The pattern is very fitted so generally the nose wire is not necessary. As the masks are cotton they have been doing overtime soaking up perspiration in our Ohio weather that has been in the 90s with HIGH humidity. So I am guessing they would work well at Disney. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour per mask as I add fun embellishments and top stitching etc. Sorry for the long post but maybe this will help. I know there are also patterns on Pinterest.
Oh wow sounds like you are a pro at making masks! I will definitely look for a pattern. I’m not very good at sewing but could try.

I ordered Disney ones but have heard bad reviews. I might try to cancel them

My wife got me a 3-pack of the Adidas masks. To date, they are my favorite masks. I only go to the grocery store about once every 10-14 days, and I'm usually done in 50-60 minutes. But even an hour in the Adidas mask is very warm. I just think that's the nature of any mask. That being said, it is a vast improvement over my prior mask, which made me want to pass out after 30 minutes.

Overall, the mask itself is great. It goes up to where my glasses sit on my nose, fully covers the under the chin, and is snug.

I also did a pre-order of the Under Armour mask. It arrives the end of August. It's supposed to be better than all the masks in the linked article above. I'll report back once I have one. The first run of the Under Armour masks sold out in about an hour (this was in May or June).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter