Best Flight Of Passage Strategy without Paid LL May 2022

gryphon3261

Obscure Disney History Aficionado
Apologies if this has already been discussed here recently! Hoping to get some up-to-date insight for my trip in the first week of May. I'm trying to figure out my plan of attack for the Animal Kingdom rides :p and wondered what people's experiences have been like lately with FoP without buying paid LL. I know it has eternally long waits, so I'm debating whether I should encourage my group to rope drop it (we're staying on-site) or whether it's wiser to just drop by at the end of the night. Last time we rode it in 2018 we rope dropped and it was nuts but totally worth it for a quick 25 min wait instead of a 2+ hour one. Is that still the best strategy? Or is it less relevant now that guest attention has kind of shifted over to Galaxy's Edge? (Or perhaps with Everest reopening AK is about to get busier again?) Curious what people's thoughts are and grateful for any insight. :)

TLDR: What's your favourite way to ride FoP without paid LL?

Definitely rope drop it. I always rope drop Flight of Passage and I never waited more than 30 minutes. You do skip a lot of the indoor queue such as the lab (I actually have never seen the lab because I always rope drop) but it's totally worth avoiding a 2+ hour wait.

I rope drop. Last December I bought Genie + but ended up not even needing it at Animal Kingdom. I was at the front of the tapstiles and probably in the first 100 or so people on the ride. (I don’t run but I was solo which helped.) After FoP I rode Navi, the Safari, Everest and Dinosaur. The only real wait I encountered was around 15 minutes for the Safari. I ended up canceling my AK LL and booking Epcot for that evening.

I’m a natural early bird which helps. I’m usually on the first bus out in the mornings.

The posted wait for FoP near closing time last night was 40 minutes. There were no actual waits reported, but it was likely 20 minutes or less.

On our last trip, we waited 17 minutes during an evening visit. The posted wait that night was 80 mins.

If you're off-site, I think riding just before closing is definitely your best bet EXCEPT for the risk that the ride might be down in which you case you would be out of luck for the day.

Has anyone staying offsite rope dropped the attraction? Just curious how long you waited.
Onsite guests get into the park early and so rope drop is not available to of site.

as with any park for rope drop, be there at least 30 minutes before opening.

offsite ? I suggest riding about an hr before park closure.

I will add that FOP is IMO worth a 60 minute wait.

Apologies if this has already been discussed here recently! Hoping to get some up-to-date insight for my trip in the first week of May. I'm trying to figure out my plan of attack for the Animal Kingdom rides :p and wondered what people's experiences have been like lately with FoP without buying paid LL. I know it has eternally long waits, so I'm debating whether I should encourage my group to rope drop it (we're staying on-site) or whether it's wiser to just drop by at the end of the night. Last time we rode it in 2018 we rope dropped and it was nuts but totally worth it for a quick 25 min wait instead of a 2+ hour one. Is that still the best strategy? Or is it less relevant now that guest attention has kind of shifted over to Galaxy's Edge? (Or perhaps with Everest reopening AK is about to get busier again?) Curious what people's thoughts are and grateful for any insight. :)

TLDR: What's your favourite way to ride FoP without paid LL?
I would suggest rope drop also, especially since the AK hours were updated recently to open at 7:30 that week. So 7 AM early entry.

I would suggest rope drop also, especially since the AK hours were updated recently to open at 7:30 that week. So 7 AM early entry.
There was a torrential downpour with flooding in the patk tonight about an hour before closing and many people left. The wait went from 120 to about 20 and we went in about 30 minutes before closing and left at 8:45ish.

Highly recommend.

Buy why is the pre-show so weird and lengthy?

Anyone care to compare rope drop vs LL?
Like I said in my first post, I always rope drop and the max time I ever waited was 30 minutes but most times the wait is 15-20 minutes. Without an extra line (Fastpass/LL) the line moves pretty consistently.

A cousin of mine went to AK in late March and were able to grab a LL despite staying offsite. I believe it cost $14 per person but by their time at 11 am FOP had a 180 minute wait. She waited about 15 minutes in line because the ride broke down earlier and everyone was coming back. LL doesn't necessarily guarantee a walk on wait but 15 minutes vs 180 is pretty good if you're willing to spend $14 per person.

There was a torrential downpour with flooding in the patk tonight about an hour before closing and many people left. The wait went from 120 to about 20 and we went in about 30 minutes before closing and left at 8:45ish.

Highly recommend.

Buy why is the pre-show so weird and lengthy?
The pre show is set up to get more people "engaged" while actually still in line. The ride is one big show room with multiple rows and sections. So when you go into the pre show you are just doing something while the groups ahead of you ride.

Rope drop every time for the past couple years...been as far back as the bridge--but never waited more than 45min.

Rope drop, but you must be there early to be toward the front of the crowd. Mid way or further back could easily be a 60+ minute wait when you get there.
Just before closing also has been very good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter