• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best free concert you've been to

I saw Joan Jett and The Blackhearts around 1992. They played at Yokota Air Base outside of Tokyo. It was my first real concert too. All in all, a great experience.
I saw Night Ranger in 1993. It was a stripped down version of the band, but it was still pretty cool. They played a San Antonio night club. I went to another show the month or so prior, and got the free tickets then.
My favorite free concert was Motley Crue in 1994. I won tickets from a radio station. My only complaint was that it was during the no Vince Neil period.

I have a few. Way back in the 80s Six Flags over Georgia used to have free concerts (not sure if they still do since I abandoned 6 flags for WDW). My son and I went to a Richard Marx concert and Wilson Phillips was opening for him. Two good concerts in one. I was engaged a million years ago to a man who lived in Saratoga Springs, NY. They have free orchestra concerts on the lawn there in the spring and summer. We went many nights with a bottle of wine and a blanket. Got to see Paul Revere and the Raiders at WDW many times, I'm of that generation and they give a good concert.

Garth Brooks in Central Park in 1997.

The very best part was when he brought Don McLean out to do American Pie.

I'm not sure if you'd call it "free," since I paid to get into the park, but: Weird Al at Six Flags Saint Louis, c. 1999. He'd just released "The Saga Begins" a few weeks earlier and was promoting the album. When he showed up on stage in his Star Wars costume, the crowd went wild.

I'm not sure if you'd call it "free," since I paid to get into the park, but: Weird Al at Six Flags Saint Louis, c. 1999. He'd just released "The Saga Begins" a few weeks earlier and was promoting the album. When he showed up on stage in his Star Wars costume, the crowd went wild.

I wouldn't consider that a free concert. I specifically said I didn't think county fairs or concerts at theme parks were free. Heck - I saw The Wailers at the Marin County Fair. The highlights of the performance for me included a white haired grandmother lighting a joint and passing it to her granddaughter, along with I Shot the Sheriff being played as Marin County Sheriff's deputies provided security.

However, I and others have talked about such performances in this thread. No big deal.

I have a few. Way back in the 80s Six Flags over Georgia used to have free concerts (not sure if they still do since I abandoned 6 flags for WDW). My son and I went to a Richard Marx concert and Wilson Phillips was opening for him. Two good concerts in one. I was engaged a million years ago to a man who lived in Saratoga Springs, NY. They have free orchestra concerts on the lawn there in the spring and summer. We went many nights with a bottle of wine and a blanket. Got to see Paul Revere and the Raiders at WDW many times, I'm of that generation and they give a good concert.
Oh, wow! That is a blast from the past- I went to quite a few shows at Six Flags in ATL in the late 70s/early 80s. Blondie, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Mother's Finest, and Atlanta Rhythm Section are a few. Heck, I saw Leif Garrett, Jimmy MacNicholl,,and Scott Baio at a Teen Beat meet/concert there!!

Foo Fighters-
Heart-
Oz Fest in the 90's walking through parking lot and someone just handed me their ticket so black sabbath, Ozzy Osborne by himself, Marilyn Manson, pantera, and I forget the rest.

Weren't they banned from performing at the National Mall. Something about attracting "the wrong element".

They were, but temporarily, by James G. Watt, who was the Reagan administration's first Secretary of the Interior.

They were, but temporarily, by James G. Watt, who was the Reagan administration's first Secretary of the Interior.

Yeah. I wasn't necessarily trying to inject politics into the discussion. Watt was universally ridiculed for his stupidity regarding that incident. Ronald and Nancy Reagan ended up defending the Beach Boys, as did Bush. If anything, it was Watt injecting his own tastes. He said he didn't even know who the Beach Boys were, and that he was referring to rock acts in general as attracting "the wrong element".

I guess the kicker was he invited Wayne Newton, who got booed by the crowd. I thought his reaction to the crowd didn't go too well.

Free Usher Raymond concert at memorial auditorium skip class go to that concert

I guess on the 4th of July there are a lot of free activities, including concerts. The ones at the National Mall are huge. I'm wondering what free concerts that DIS posters have attended that stand out.

The National Symphony on the Mall in DC (plus fireworks) are the best ones we have ever been to (free). We lived in MD near the red line N. and went to the Mall three times a summer for picnics and the Symphony - Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day. Did this for six years then transferred from the area - loved, loved loved it!!

I grew up near South Padre Island, Texas. A lot of free, fun shows came through the island during spring break. One year it was The Outfield and Jefferson Starship. Another year it was Stevie Ray Vaughn and The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

In Nashville we have free Live on the Green concerts on Thursday nights in August ending in a free three day event in September. It is full of lots of current and alternative music. Last year we went one night to see Lord Huron and Shakey Graves.

DH and I got to see Trisha Yearwood for free back in 91. She played at the Buckwheat festival in Penn Yan NY. We were stationed at Seneca Army Depot and went with some other MP's.

The one local mall does an back to school bash with a free concert. So, DD18 and I have gotten to see Andy Grammer twice. And in 2013 we got to see Plain White T's. HOLY COW!! Over 3000 people showed up for that one. DH worked at the mall and we had to be there by 7 and the concert didn't start until 1:30. We were the 3rd group of people to set up our seats for front row seating. The local radio show that co-hosted the concert had held a contest for meet and greet passes, but since her daddy worked for the mall, DD got her pass for free. She was in heaven. Several of her friends tried to talk me outta my pass, with no luck. Both times Andy played there, he did open meet and greets, so that was a lot of fun for her as well.

Plus, the mall does Friday Nites Live. Every Friday night from the 1st of June thru the end of Aug, they have a free concert at the court square. For the 4 years that DH worked for the mall, we were there if he was scheduled to work late that night. We have seen so many different acts come thru there we lost count of who all we saw. Some were better than others, but what can be so terribly wrong with a free concert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter