Best GF (non-princess) character breakfast?

sb682

DIS Veteran
DH and I are gluten intolerant (me more than him) and I also have a corn intolerance. I don't worry about cross-contamination, but eating more than a few bites of either will make me ill. Which of the non-princess character breakfasts would you recommend? I hear great things about gluten-free Mickey waffles, I would looove to try some.

I haven't looked; does Bob's Red Mill pancake and waffle mix have any corn in it? I believe that the Namaste mix is corn free but I don't know about the BRM. Some places have one or the other while others have both.

If you want Mickey waffles then Crystal Palace is out. They serve Van's frozen waffles last I heard.

We've had great experiences at 'Ohana (Mickey, Pluto, Stitch & Lilo), Cape May Cafe (Minnie, Goofy & Pluto) & Tusker House (Mickey, Donald, Daisy & Goofy). Lots of people also like Chef Mickey (Fab 5) but we haven't tried them for breakfast. Personally, I'd just go with whichever fit my schedule best based on its location.

FYI: If your purpose is just to get Mickey waffles, most resort CS locations can also make them.

I haven't looked; does Bob's Red Mill pancake and waffle mix have any corn in it? I believe that the Namaste mix is corn free but I don't know about the BRM. Some places have one or the other while others have both.

If you want Mickey waffles then Crystal Palace is out. They serve Van's frozen waffles last I heard.

We've had great experiences at 'Ohana (Mickey, Pluto, Stitch & Lilo), Cape May Cafe (Minnie, Goofy & Pluto) & Tusker House (Mickey, Donald, Daisy & Goofy). Lots of people also like Chef Mickey (Fab 5) but we haven't tried them for breakfast. Personally, I'd just go with whichever fit my schedule best based on its location.

FYI: If your purpose is just to get Mickey waffles, most resort CS locations can also make them.

Just looked: Bob's has corn flour, so that's out for me. I can live without Mickey waffles, they just make me nostalgic for trips to WDW with my parents, so it would be nice to have them. The main thing is I'd like to have plenty of *good* choices. We are sticking to mostly CS meals, so this breakfast would be our big splurge and I want it to be worth it.

If you're just looking for widest variety of food and don't care about the waffles then Tusker House and Crystal Palace will have nice variety. 'Ohana is a much more limited menu (though we do enjoy it and have an ADR for our upcoming trip). While we do enjoy Cape May's breakfast, it seemed a bit more limited in what we were offered though the food was good and we were definitely stuffed.

Hopefully somebody around here will know which restaurants use Namaste waffles vs Bob's. Those I believe are corn free. What resort are you staying at? Usually at your resort, a chef will order in a mix that's safe for you if they don't already have it there.

My absolute favorite is Tusker House! I almost cried when the chef kept bringing me out more food!

We are staying off-site. I have a copy of a PDF someone posted recently with the gluten-free items WDW offers. Looks like Tusker House has Namaste, Cape May has Bob's and O'hana has both. I emailed Special Diets today to ask about gluten and corn and hope they get back to me quickly.

If Tusker House has Namaste, eat there. They have some wonderful options and the food isn't the same as every other breakfast around as they have a different variety of raw ingredients in the kitchen with which to work. This of course is assuming you planned to go to Animal Kingdom anyway.

Pretty sure we're going to AK our first morning, so that would be a great way to start our trip! Thanks for your advice. :)

If you're considering a pre-RD breakfast, keep in mind that it takes longer when dining with allergies. You're less likely to be able to get out of the restaurant in time for RD. We much prefer a last breakfast ADR so we can get some touring done during those prime touring hours and then sit down for a late breakfast as a nice way to relax. Another bonus to that is sometimes lunch foods start coming out while you're still there (at the end of the meal shortly before you're ready to leave; you'll have plenty of time to get all the fresh breakfast food you want).

We loved Ohanas. My DD has a gluten allergy and they were amazing with it. It's fun with Mickey, Pluto, Lilo and Stitch.

Tusker House for sure!!! I thought they had the best selection and most accomodating chef for breakfast. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter