Best Guide book??

doulacandice

Mouseketeer
I went to the bookstore today and didn't realize there are tons of books about traveling to WDW!!!! I couldn't decide between the unofficial guide to wdw or the passporter.. Which one would you choose? Which one has more info in it and gives you info about which rides are best at certain times, etc.

Thanks!

they are both very informative books, I've just always favored the unoffical guide.

I'd go with the Unofficial Guide. They have some really nice comparison charts and touring plans.

I'm with Cyberbox2 - I have several years of the Unofficial Guide - (just about) each year we plan a new trip I buy a new book. Even if you don't use the plans, the info in the book is awesome.
Now if you are going on the Disney cruise, the Passporter puts out a fabulous book. Just something to keep in mind...

I just got the PassPorter's guide for Christmas, and while I love the little charts in the back, and it is going to be so incredibly useful the closer we get to the trip, I like my unnoficial guide from two years ago (I'm considering buying the 2008 one) because it is a little more critical, and you can find more opinions (just personal preference)

I buy them all every year. I however think the Binbaum Official Guide is the best guide book.

Dennis-

Another vote for The Unofficial Guide. It opened my eyes to how WDW works. I like the humor, the restaurant & hotel reviews, & the detailed explanations of each attraction.

Thanks!! I went ahead and bought the UG to WDW but I have the passporter on hold.. Guess I will be going back and getting that one also. :rotfl:

For our last WDW trip, we got the deluxe passporter. It was nice to have something to put all of the receipts and with all of the plans in there, it made journaling for scrapbooking really easy.

UG is probably overall the best but I do believe it is just too much information. I'd say Birnbaum and UG are a good combo - You could read Birnbaums to see what tweaks your interest and then look it up from there in the UG.

That said there is very little in any of the books that can't be found online at any number of sites including WDWinfo.com :)

I'll second the comment that the Passporter is absolutely awesome for a Disney Cruise. If you're going a a Disney Cruise, you NEED the Passporter.

I loved the humor of the Unofficial Guide, I think the Passporter is a bit more straight with their reviews. The Unofficial Guide can be a bit encyclopedic - and definitely can't be carried with you in the parks. The Passporter can, and I think it's designed to be.

We buy both - my wife really prefers the Passporter. She's much more comfortable with it. Her eyesight is very bad, and if I remember correctly, the print is larger and easier to read in the Passporter. I really like the Unofficial Guide and look forward to the feedback they include from people who've been to the park.

I like to use them both together. Unofficial Guide is more comprehensive, but I think the PAssporter does a better job on keeping their information up to date and on their restauraunt reviews as well.

Melissa

I like to use them both together. Unofficial Guide is more comprehensive, but I think the PAssporter does a better job on keeping their information up to date and on their restauraunt reviews as well.

Melissa

Totally agree. I think you need both books BTW, the UG has several editions during the year. So the first edition of the 2008 came out late august. Another is coming out in February. Also, their website, ************, is a great way to get custom touring plans and updates and corrections.

I Edited to add the following after I saw my post:
"*********" Nice to see the Dis is so petty.

The UG has the most info but the PassPorter is much easier to navigate. I have them both ('06).

I like UG because it gives you all the info you need, without the Disney spin like Birnbaum's.

Passporter is what I take to the park with me. It fits in my park bag, has easy to use maps of each park, and I can keep all of our reservation information neatly stowed inside.

I have to confess one my deepest darkest screts: I have a collection of park guidebooks! :scared1: UGs for DL, WDW, and DLP and Birnbaums for DL and WDW, mostly, although I've picked up several others for book reviews and for a trip planning class I was going to teach that never happened.

My favorite's the UG - lots of info, enough humor and attitude to be entertaining without being cynical. The biggest problem with it is size - drop it without paying attention and you could easily kill a small animal. :lmao: The Passporter is a close second - very concise but full of good information, and I like that you can keep track of your trip both as you plan it and as you experience it. I tend to rely on the UG and the Passporter for research. The Birnbaum's OK - probably more suited for folks that are just getting started with their planning or are not all that familiar with the World.

Like most of the above I used both the UG and Passporter to plan my first Disneyworld trip this last Dec 11-18. They helped alot along with the web sites.

I just wanted to add I used the passporter maps like a translator map. I loved them.. I got the park maps each time but always put them away and went back to the passporter maps. I luckily had the old spiral edition and had bought the upgraded loose edition and used both sets of maps and all the envelopes taking one envelope packed with all my plans/maps each day to the park.

If I had to pick one I would do Passporter for the maps and envelopes. Love the guide though:) The trip was flawless. amazing what a lot of planning will do..

Going back in 2009:cool1:

Have a great trip,
Nanb

i love the passporter. i buy them even without going on a trip. the community on their web site is great too. they have some amazing editions too, such as the special needs edition and ones for disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter