• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Hotel for a non-Disney fan at Christmas?

themostcuriousoyster

Second star to the right **
Hi All,

We visit a Disney resort almost every year with our kiddos (ages 10 and 8), hubby is not the biggest Disney fan and likes to have frequent downtime from the crowds. Usually we will have a ‘break’ in the middle of the day and go back to the parks in the afternoon.

At DLP our favourite resorts are Sequoia (quiet, nice walk to the park, super cool design), and the Disneyland Hotel (convenient location, fantastic restaurants). We’ve also stayed on and off site at DL, both of which had their own benefits.

Last year we visited WDW and hubby was not a fan of using the buses (we are aware you can use lyft and Uber so that’s the plan this time), but he was very surprised by the sheer scale of WDW. We stayed in Bay Lake Tower which was enjoyable and the monorail was handy, we did visit the pool a few times and rented a boat.

So I’ve been trying to find a good hotel that isn’t a value resort, for a week before Christmas and that has good downtime activities.

I’ve been thinking about Port Orleans, I know it’s a bus routed hotel but would opt for Uber or lyft, and use the boat system for Disney springs. (Why have I not opted for Caribbean or Coronado? - Simply too big).

Is that a Port Orleans option for my break needing, activity required family? Or should I look at Swan/Dolphin/Reserve? Price is a factor - 5 days at Port Orleans is the same price as 3 days at the Polynesian (£3700 inc tickets), which means we’d have to do a split stay and spend more money to cover the other 2 days of our stay.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts and help :)

Are you thinking Port Orleans French Quarter? I’m guessing yes because Port Orleans Riverside is on the same scale as Caribbean Beach and Coronado. Lots of people love French Quarter for its smaller size. For us, it was once and done. It has an ok pool, the evening campfire and movie, but no sit-down restaurant. You can use the facilities at Riverside, but it’s a walk or bus ride. Riverside has more to do - fishing, carriage rides, entertainment in the lounge, plus the campfire and movie. If you booked a preferred category room there, it would be closer to the pool and main building.

I know you ruled out Coronado, but it has the most activities of any moderate. In Addition to campfire/movies, there is fishing, a couple of different art activities, really good sit-down restaurants, sangria university, fitness center, one of best pools on property. If budget allows, booking the tower or a preferred room would put you closer to main building and not far from pool. But no denying it’s big.

I would also definitely consider Swan/Dolphin/Reserve. Location and boat to two parks can’t be beat. If it matters, these will not have the Disney theming, but there is plenty of that right outside the door. I’ve stayed Swan and loved it. I‘m doing a short Dolphin stay this October, before moving over to Coronado. Swan is smaller, which I liked, and has queen beds. Dolphin is larger, has more of the shared restaurants, but double beds. The resorts share amenities. Main pool is great. There is fitness center, Boardwalk right next door, Swan boats to use, if they are doing them, and some of the best restaurants on property.

THIS! The theming is very un-Disney, IMHO. Plus, you get the deluxe perks I’d EEH at MK and Epcot. You can walk to Epcot or HS (or use th skyline or friendship boats). The you could either ride share to MK or AK.

I would suggest the following:

Swan/Dolphin are nice (we greatly prefer the Swan) - location cannot be beat as you can walk or boat to EP and walk/Skyliner/boat to DHS. They aren't Disney-themed (they are Marriott properties) and the rooms are a bit basic, but comfortable. If you opt for a lower cost room at the Swan (a "no view" room), you actually get an incredible view of Hollywood Studios. Great pool, great restaurants and you can walk all around the Boardwalk to visit all of the WDW resorts there (YC/BC/BWI), enjoy the nightlife, other restaurants, etc. Downside - the buses to MK and AK are terrible - you can certainly ride share to AK, but I would not recommend using lyft/uber to MK - any ride share to MK will drop you off at the TTC and you will have to monorail or ferry from there.

Wilderness Lodge - beautiful resort and the Christmas decorations are incredible. Location isn't as good as Swan/Dolphin, however you will get boat access to MK and you could lyft/uber to the other parks. Lots of activities, nice pool. While there, consider taking the bus to Ft. W and enjoying the activities there (Hoop Dee Doo Review, a holiday sleigh ride, visiting the stables, kayaks/canoes, etc.)

The PO resorts are lovely and I would definitely keep that as an option - but, again, I would not use lyft/uber to MK.

Full disclosure, I've only stayed at Pop and deluxe WDW resorts (as well as off site). If it were me, I would much rather stay at Swan (1st choice) or Dolphin than a moderate. I would book a balcony room because I enjoy private outdoor space. Actually, the balconies are very exposed at Swalphin. However, the outdoor space is connected to the room and ready when I am. Don't forget to price in the "resort fee" when pricing out Swalphin.

The previous posters Wilderness Lodge idea is a great one.

Hi All,

We visit a Disney resort almost every year with our kiddos (ages 10 and 8), hubby is not the biggest Disney fan and likes to have frequent downtime from the crowds. Usually we will have a ‘break’ in the middle of the day and go back to the parks in the afternoon.

At DLP our favourite resorts are Sequoia (quiet, nice walk to the park, super cool design), and the Disneyland Hotel (convenient location, fantastic restaurants). We’ve also stayed on and off site at DL, both of which had their own benefits.

Last year we visited WDW and hubby was not a fan of using the buses (we are aware you can use lyft and Uber so that’s the plan this time), but he was very surprised by the sheer scale of WDW. We stayed in Bay Lake Tower which was enjoyable and the monorail was handy, we did visit the pool a few times and rented a boat.

So I’ve been trying to find a good hotel that isn’t a value resort, for a week before Christmas and that has good downtime activities.

I’ve been thinking about Port Orleans, I know it’s a bus routed hotel but would opt for Uber or lyft, and use the boat system for Disney springs. (Why have I not opted for Caribbean or Coronado? - Simply too big).

Is that a Port Orleans option for my break needing, activity required family? Or should I look at Swan/Dolphin/Reserve? Price is a factor - 5 days at Port Orleans is the same price as 3 days at the Polynesian (£3700 inc tickets), which means we’d have to do a split stay and spend more money to cover the other 2 days of our stay.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts and help :)

I decided to splurge one trip on Beach Club for my Disney-hating husband and it was so convenient to come and go from the parks and take breaks mid-day and have a nice fairly private balcony for him to relax on that he actively enjoyed our trip and we are complete Epcot-resort converts now, so I vote Swolphin (or YC/BC/BWI if you happen to catch a deal). We find so much to do between Epcot, HS, and the Skyliner/Boats (my kids are 7 and 9, the Skyliner is legit my 7 year old's favorite "ride" at WDW, she begs to go on it over and over) that this past trip we didn't even make it to MK and had a great time. If you time it right, you can see Fantasmic at HS, catch the first boat back to the Epcot resorts and see Harmonious over Crescent Lake, which is pretty special.

I just booked Swan Resort Balcony Room for New Years Eve nights .
Be sure to understand their Cancel Policies when you book.
It seems they have a non-refundable rate and also refund but I think the deposit might have been for both nights already paid in advance.

I forgot to mention, I did not reserve thru Disney .
I googled and booked thru SwanDolphin, I think .

Last edited:
I vote for Swolphin as well, for the reasons others listed above - basically, location, location, location!

I will let you know that both rideshare and the Swolphin buses drop off at TTC for MK (meaning you have to take monorail or ferry from there to MK entrance), so it doesn't matter which you take from Swolphin. However, many Swolphin guests walk over to BW or to Yacht Club to catch a Disney bus, which drops off at the MK entrance - although others have pointed out that the walk to the Disney resort probably takes roughly similar time as getting from TTC to MK entrance.

I think you can take a Minnie Van (booked through Lyft) from Swan Dolphin to MK. I believe they drop you off by busses at MK - not at TTC. A little more expensive than regular Uber or Lyft but may be worth it for convenience. I’m sure someone here can confirm this for me.

I also agree about WL. The theming is amazing and Whispering Canyon Cafe is one of our favorite breakfasts on property. I have heard the lunch and dinner is wonderful as well. They have a boat to MK. They used to have a boat to CR and FW not sure if it was brought back.

I also agree about WL. The theming is amazing and Whispering Canyon Cafe is one of our favorite breakfasts on property. I have heard the lunch and dinner is wonderful as well. They have a boat to MK. They used to have a boat to CR and FW not sure if it was brought back.
I was just there at end of February. No boat to FW or CR.

Others have given you lots of options already but I'd personally opt for one of Beach Club, Boardwalk, or Yacht Club.
Walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood Studios but also lots of entertainment/dining on the boardwalk itself. Not overly disney themed but beautifully decorated at christmas time. Also gives you access to the deluxe extra hours in the parks.

Can't beat Wilderness Lodge at Christmas! Lobby has great areas to relax by the fireplace, not too crazy like Grand Floridian. They have activities for the kids, etc. Tour of the place. Boat to MK. Easy access to the other monorail resorts. Geyser Point has great food. You can watch electrical water pageant outside by the dock.

The tree is one of a kind.

I think you can take a Minnie Van (booked through Lyft) from Swan Dolphin to MK. I believe they drop you off by busses at MK - not at TTC. A little more expensive than regular Uber or Lyft but may be worth it for convenience. I’m sure someone here can confirm this for me.
This is correct.

Are you thinking Port Orleans French Quarter? I’m guessing yes because Port Orleans Riverside is on the same scale as Caribbean Beach and Coronado. Lots of people love French Quarter for its smaller size. For us, it was once and done. It has an ok pool, the evening campfire and movie, but no sit-down restaurant. You can use the facilities at Riverside, but it’s a walk or bus ride. Riverside has more to do - fishing, carriage rides, entertainment in the lounge, plus the campfire and movie. If you booked a preferred category room there, it would be closer to the pool and main building.

I know you ruled out Coronado, but it has the most activities of any moderate. In Addition to campfire/movies, there is fishing, a couple of different art activities, really good sit-down restaurants, sangria university, fitness center, one of best pools on property. If budget allows, booking the tower or a preferred room would put you closer to main building and not far from pool. But no denying it’s big.

I would also definitely consider Swan/Dolphin/Reserve. Location and boat to two parks can’t be beat. If it matters, these will not have the Disney theming, but there is plenty of that right outside the door. I’ve stayed Swan and loved it. I‘m doing a short Dolphin stay this October, before moving over to Coronado. Swan is smaller, which I liked, and has queen beds. Dolphin is larger, has more of the shared restaurants, but double beds. The resorts share amenities. Main pool is great. There is fitness center, Boardwalk right next door, Swan boats to use, if they are doing them, and some of the best restaurants on property.
THIS ^ Port Orleans Riverside is actually a bigger foot print than Coronado. I would not rule out Coronado either if you want to uber all over because it is very centrally located. It is the deluxe of the moderates and will have way more amenities and a great resort for down time. It is also beautiful at Christmas.

My first pick was going to be Wilderness Lodge, stunning at Christmas, beautiful and relaxing resort.

I decided to splurge one trip on Beach Club for my Disney-hating husband and it was so convenient to come and go from the parks and take breaks mid-day and have a nice fairly private balcony for him to relax on that he actively enjoyed our trip and we are complete Epcot-resort converts now, so I vote Swolphin (or YC/BC/BWI if you happen to catch a deal). We find so much to do between Epcot, HS, and the Skyliner/Boats (my kids are 7 and 9, the Skyliner is legit my 7 year old's favorite "ride" at WDW, she begs to go on it over and over) that this past trip we didn't even make it to MK and had a great time. If you time it right, you can see Fantasmic at HS, catch the first boat back to the Epcot resorts and see Harmonious over Crescent Lake, which is pretty special.
I have to echo this strategy - my DH was not a fan of these trips until we started spending more of our budget on resort versus meals/souvenirs and now he *likes* going because he gets the vacation part of it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter