• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best household product investments

but the question is from someone who is just starting to upgrade from the college items in their apartment. I took that to mean items the o/p would likely already have/use now/have storage space for vs. other items some of us have had long term (and short of inheriting one or scouring antique stores/garage sales are difficult at best to find). I have plenty of old but wonderfully working items-some from companies that have maintained their standards in quality such that I don't hesitate to recommend them today.

the kitchen aide I mentioned about was inherited and is over 70 years old but I recommend it b/c the new models seem to have the same quality.

Bissell has been making steam cleaners since '79-mine isn't quite that old but their quality has endured so I continue to recommend them.

I have a wealth of other items that some have mentioned above that i'm the second or third generation to own-the vitamix is an original (1969) but I stand behind the company's quality to this day (they still carry parts and offer service for mine), my farberware countertop rotisserie is from the early 60's but these aren't even manufactured anymore, my 2 pressure cookers (stovetop and electric) are both presto and while one is younger (less than 30 years old) the second is circa 1920 or the 30's, my cast irons???? I couldn't guess-dad remembered them being used when he was a young kid-and he was born in 1912 but cast iron made today is still a good investment.

Yup. DD has inherited a complete set of everything from her Grandmothers. Now she is just waiting for the housing bubble to burst so she can afford a home to put them in.

Just an example. And from others, replies, they feel cars are part of a household.
This is what the OP posted, I don’t get the sense she’s looking for a reliable vehicle. I do, however, get the sense that you were trying to imply that anything we suggest that is not at least a decade old will be inferior. That really isn’t helpful to the OP IMO. We can’t go back in time and acquire the things our grandparents used (and I’d argue a good bit of it is not superior to what we have today) but what we can do is give recommendations based on our experience with what’s available today.
What are some of the best products you have invested in for your home? Can be anything!

I'm looking to slowly start investing in more quality things around my apartment to get rid of a lot of my cheap stuff from college. Currently starting with some nice glass food storage containers instead of old plastic ones. Eventually we're going to need a good vacuum (pet hair galore!), carpet cleaner, and a new set of pots and pans if you have anything specific for those :)

I use my electric pressure cooker a lot. I have the Cuisinart. I bought it long before the Instant Pot became hot. It's a lot cheaper and has been quite reliable - it's probably 10 years old. It's great for braising tough meat, cooking hard boiled eggs that are easy to peel, risotto, rice and lots more.

My other favorite appliance is my Cuisinart food processor. I use it to knead dough, make pie dough, shred cheese, cut up everything, etc. I use it way more than my Kitchenaid mixer. I had several cheaper ones that would always burn out quickly. I bought my first Cuisinart about 25 years ago and it is still going strong - although my sister now has it as I upgraded to a bigger one a decade ago. Mine is the 14 cup one - but the 2 cup mini processor is also useful for smaller tasks.

I had the Dyson cordless handheld and thought it was worthless. It was too big and bulky and the battery failed after not that many uses. I probably didn't use it 10 times. I can't get excited about Dyson products as I have no carpeting. It's not that hard to pick up dust from hardwood floors. I have an Oreck that is about 25 years old. It works fine.

But both of those are useful items because I cook a lot from scratch. Those are not necessarily that useful for those that don't cook much.

Last edited:

Dyson vacuum (tried a Shark and took it back) , Roomba, my multi purpose Victorinox serrated knives (those will slice right through you!), kitchen aid stand mixer, and my Green Mountain Grill. Oh and my automated bidet toilet seat. That thing is rad.

shop vac. and not one of those big honking ones. the smaller one that fits in a closet that you can pull out easily

I just got a Roomba for Mothers Day. Absolutely love it and I have one dog and three cats. My floors have never been so clean. Works great on carpet and hard wood floors

pressure sprayer, cleans up the patio in minutes and great at removing puppie poop, can even take off paint spills

I love, love, love my Kitchenaid! It's a good 20 years old. Unfortunately, I got it back before they had the dozens of colors, so it's plain white. I would love a fancy, colorful one, but the one I have still works just fine, so I'm too cheap to upgrade. So, get yourself one--but choose your color wisely!

*Swiffer duster. That thing can reach in high places. Dusts just about anything from ceiling fans, light fixtures, blinds, vents, etc. It's awesome.
*Grill pan.
*Wax warmer. Love the bakery scents.
*Reuseable ice cubes. No more broken ice trays or rusting of the ice maker, or who didn't fill up the ice tray, etc.
*Microfiber cloths for cleaning.

Dyson fan here. Ours is 14 years old and going just as strong as when we got it. Recently a hose tore - found the exact replacement we needed on Amazon and had it the next day for about $12.

Anything Le Creuset and my Bissell Crosswave are my top ones that are also doubled for the RV as well as My Pillows, it's weird but they are oddly perfect for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter