• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best jackets for Washington DC trip

shell8558

DIS Veteran
We will be taking a family vacation to DC the last week in February. Since I am from the south, we really don't have freezing winters. What are the best/warmest jackets? Should I look for Northface jackets and if so which ones ? We will be using the metro and will be outside for tours , etc. Thanks for the help!

I would recommend any type of down jacket to keep you warmest. Hats and gloves are a must too. I'm not sure brand matters very much (unless you have a teen, then all bets are off) as much as coverage and material.

We have had good luck with Lands End jackets. I like that they are down-filled without being bulky (but they have bulky too if that's your thing) and they stop the wind -- which is critical in staying warm. Most have hoods that are removable. They have a decent variety as well as different lengths. If you order from them, you can always find coupon codes online. Sometimes sizing is tricky, but you can return to a local Sears store if you have one nearby.

You're a brave soul for planning a visit to DC at that time of year. Good luck on your trip. :)

Thank you! We are really at a loss for jackets. I have a pea coat,but didn't think it would be warm enough. Yes- I have 2 teenagers, but thankfully the picky one already has a jacket! I will look into lands end. Maybe they have some in sears to try on?
February seemed like a good idea, because the kids are out of school for a week for MardiGras. (Should have thought more about that - lol) maybe we will see snow- lol

You could get snow. So figure Lands End or LL Bean. Hat, gloves, maybe a scarf. And layers beneath.

Reactions: GAN

You don't need a brand, but you definitely need warmth. At that time of year, when I am outside like that, I have my long (to my knees) down coat on it. It happens to be a Michael Kors coat but is super warm. You will also need a hat and gloves and possibly a scarf depending on how the coat fits. North Face is good but there are tons of other down coats that are probably cheaper and since you don't wear these coats all the time, I'm not sure I'd pay the extra for the brand. Just make sure it's really down and not the fake down stuff and also stay away from the very thin, packable down. I think that type is great for lesser cold or if you are going to be mostly indoors but some outdoors, but I don't think it holds up well for February weather.

Of course, you always have to keep in mind that DC weather is not reliable. It could be below freezing and snowing in February or it could be 50 degrees.

Everyone has already mentioned what kind of coat, so I won't repeat that.

You'll want knit or fleece hats that cover your ears. If your picky teen won't wear a hat, and if it's a girl, maybe she'll wear earmuffs or a something like this cold-weather headband.

Since you'll be outside for extended periods of time, make sure you have good gloves and thick socks. I also strongly recommend getting hand and foot warmers like these and these. They sell boxes at Walmart and aren't that expensive. Cold hands and feet can make a day outside absolutely miserable faster than just about anything.

Also, I always find that wind and cold makes noses run, so make sure you have packs of tissues, and lips can get easily chapped, so have chapsticks on hand, too.

If you're prepared, you will have a wonderful time, no matter what the weather. We love visiting D.C. any time of year. Have a great vacation!

Whatever you pick, make sure it's wind resistant in addition to providing warmth. DC can get quite windy at times.

Brand doesn't matter. Look for down or a synthetic fill like Primaloft, which can also be very warm and works better if wet. You can probably get some good Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals this weekend at LLBean, Lands End or Cabela's. For more affordable prices, try TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Kohl's, Burlington Coat Factory or Old Navy.

Live in the northeast. I like the Lands' End/LLBean coats as well. I have several versions of their commuter coats in varying lengths - short, knee length and long, lol. (You probably won't need the long one for one trip.) I also like down vests when it's sunny and maybe a little warmer, but in February it's a pretty sure bet it will be pretty cold in D.C. Personally, I'd rather visit in late spring or early summer. It's cumbersome to deal with big coats, hats, gloves, boots and all that on vacation. It's hard enough at home!

Thanks for all the help! I would have bought the wrong jackets, had I not asked. I'm hoping to find something on Black Friday!

I love my packable down jacket. It is warm, but you can squeeze it down into a small pouch. Makes it easy to throw in a bag when you are inside and don't want to carry around a big jacket. I got mine at JC Penny for maybe 30 on sale.

Are you a costco member? If so, they have Andrew Marc packable coats and 32 degree base layer tops and bottoms.

I have both products and they're great. my coat is very warm but lightweight and packable. comes with a pouch. the base layer top and bottom are very thin but warm.

Thank you! We are really at a loss for jackets. I have a pea coat,but didn't think it would be warm enough. Yes- I have 2 teenagers, but thankfully the picky one already has a jacket! I will look into lands end. Maybe they have some in sears to try on?
February seemed like a good idea, because the kids are out of school for a week for MardiGras. (Should have thought more about that - lol) maybe we will see snow- lol

I'm in the Washington DC area. It's not the arctic. Yes, it can get very cold, but it can also be very mild. Unless I am shoveling snow, I wear a wool pea coat all winter when I'm out and about. With a sweater underneath, good hat and gloves, it's fine.

I'm in the Washington DC area. It's not the arctic. Yes, it can get very cold, but it can also be very mild. Unless I am shoveling snow, I wear a wool pea coat all winter when I'm out and about. With a sweater underneath, good hat and gloves, it's fine.

Lol, no it's not the artic, but you are used to the cold. I live in NEPA, and I think it's funny when all my relatives in Louisiana and Florida are whining and complaining because it's 50° outside and they are freezing. Meanwhile, at 50° here in Pennsylvania, I am walking around in shorts and my flip flops. I would think normal temps there in DC, are 30°-50° that time of year.

OP, as a previous post that lives in DC said, you will have to watch the weather before you go. It can be all over the place. Layers are definitely key. Hat and gloves do not take up much space to pack, and they sure come in handy when cold.

Last edited:
Lol, no it's not the artic, but you are used to the cold. I live in NEPA, and I think it's funny when all my relatives in Louisiana and Florida are whining and complaining because it's 50° outside and they are freezing. Meanwhile, at 50° here in Pennsylvania, I am walking around in shorts and my flip flops. I would think normal temps there are 30°-50° that time of year.

OP, as a previous post that lives in DC said, you will have to watch the weather before you go. It can be all over the place. Layers are definitely key. Hat and gloves do not take up much space to pack, and they sure come in handy when cold.
Lol, no it's not the artic, but you are used to the cold. I live in NEPA, and I think it's funny when all my relatives in Louisiana and Florida are whining and complaining because it's 50° outside and they are freezing. Meanwhile, at 50° here in Pennsylvania, I am walking around in shorts and my flip flops. I would think normal temps there are 30°-50° that time of year.

You are right - being from Louisiana we are not use to the cold!! Lol -I'm very hopeful that the temps will b pleasant and I may hold off purchasing jackets until January or so! Thank goodness we are flying southwest and get free bags- I may have a whole suitcase of hats, gloves and sweaters. Haha !

You are right - being from Louisiana we are not use to the cold!! Lol -I'm very hopeful that the temps will b pleasant and I may hold off purchasing jackets until January or so! Thank goodness we are flying southwest and get free bags- I may have a whole suitcase of hats, gloves and sweaters. Haha !

Well, I hope you have good weather for your trip. In 2014, I had the opportunity to go down to Inner Harbor, Baltimore, in March. It was freezing!! Like in the teens, and windy. We did walk around and sight see a little bit, but man, we had to keep ducking into shops because it was so dang cold.

The biggest thing I got from that chart is that the average temp there in February is 39 degrees. (Although I agree there can be variation, naturally.)

It was 38 and windy with a little snow here today, and I was :cold: all day.

Everyone reacts differently to the cold, too. Some don't mind it, and others can't stand it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter