• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best jackets for Washington DC trip

The biggest thing I got from that chart is that the average temp there in February is 39 degrees. (Although I agree there can be variation, naturally.)

It was 38 and windy with a little snow here today, and I was :cold: all day.

Everyone reacts differently to the cold, too. Some don't mind it, and others can't stand it.
It was 55 today and perfect! I hope it's not freezing - but I have to admit, I wouldn't mind getting to see some real snow! Not the kind we have to scoop off the car to barely roll in a ball! Lol

You are right - being from Louisiana we are not use to the cold!! Lol -I'm very hopeful that the temps will b pleasant and I may hold off purchasing jackets until January or so! Thank goodness we are flying southwest and get free bags- I may have a whole suitcase of hats, gloves and sweaters. Haha !

As a resident here, I will say that for some reason, when I'm down on the Mall sightseeing and it is a cold day, it is BITTER cold there. Not sure what it is around that area. It always seems particularly windy through there so if you are outside for long periods of time, it feels worse than when you're outside near your home running errands. I can't explain it. For instance, December in this area is usually pretty mild, but I've gone to see the National Christmas tree and all the events around it and it feels bitter cold when I'm there. That's why if I was sightseeing in February and knowing I'd need to be outside for more than 10 minutes at a time, I'd have my heaviest outerwear on (but wouldn't necessarily do that if I was just running around to stores). Not sure if that makes sense, but I just find it really cold downtown. But there's always the issue of walking around with it inside a museum.

The biggest thing I got from that chart is that the average temp there in February is 39 degrees. (Although I agree there can be variation, naturally.)

It was 38 and windy with a little snow here today, and I was :cold: all day.

Everyone reacts differently to the cold, too. Some don't mind it, and others can't stand it.

Yes, yesterday it made it up to about 40-ish degrees with a windchill most of the day around 35. I went jogging in the morning and ran my errands in a "raincoat" type thing, but besides the jogging, I wasn't exposed much. I would not want to be walking around the DC area, predominantly outside, yesterday with a hat, gloves and very warm coat.

I vote for a tri-climate North Face. But really it could be whatever brand you want. It's the 3 in 1 zip out jackets. I love them because the outer layer is windproof and waterproof. The inner layer is typically a fleece. So you could actually get a lot of use out of these where you live. Right now, I'm just wearing the fleece layer. All spring and fall, I use the outer layer. Much more practical than a heavy coat you're not likely to need back home.

If you are buying jackets solely for this trip, I would avoid brand names because you will spend an arm and a leg on them and not even be able to use them at home. And you may not even need them for the trip.

I agree with a PP that says to check the forecast and then plan accordingly. You may need lighter spring jackets and you may need the warm ones, but IMO it doesn't make sense to spend the money on the warm ones now unless you can use them at home or elsewhere as well.

OP, one thing I forgot to mention is that your Metro card works for both the Metro subway and Metro busses as well as the Circulator. The Circulator stops at many tourist locations, and we loved using it last summer.

I live in DC. You really need to look at the forecast before your trip. We can have bitter-cold and summer-like warmth in late February. For example, the record low and high temperatures for February 25 is a low of -1 (Fahrenheit) or a high of 84. See the records here.
Proof I wasn't exaggerating, 70 today, snow showers in the morning:
dc weather.JPG

You are right - being from Louisiana we are not use to the cold!! Lol -I'm very hopeful that the temps will b pleasant and I may hold off purchasing jackets until January or so! Thank goodness we are flying southwest and get free bags- I may have a whole suitcase of hats, gloves and sweaters. Haha !

You are indeed a brave one!! I, too, am from LA and we lived just N. of DC for 6 years, and most years there was no way I'd be out and about for several hours in Feb. True, the weather can be 'up & down', but Feb. is mostly cold and windy, plus could be snow.

Couldn't wait to move back down south!
Good luck - hope the weather cooperates!

I live in DC. You really need to look at the forecast before your trip. We can have bitter-cold and summer-like warmth in late February. For example, the record low and high temperatures for February 25 is a low of -1 (Fahrenheit) or a high of 84. See the records here.
My kids wore shorts and t-shirts to school today, and I'm wearing a polo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter