Best Ko Olina Snooty Restaurant?

If you had a single night for a nice, "dress up" kind of dinner, what's your pick?

• Ama Ama

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Roy's Ko Olina

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Mina's Fish House

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Noe

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Longhi's

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Nothing! Go to Costco or ABC!

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters
The Sunday Brunch at The Four Seasons right next door reopened this spring and is a bit more pricey than Halekulani’s, but even better. There are more selections, including lobster tails, the sushi tasted better, and overall it was a better dining experience.
We already have the La Hiki Sunday brunch reservation as well. Looking forward to that.

It’s not in Ko Olina but when we visited Aulani DH and I went to Sasabune in Honolulu for our one date night. It was traditional Japanese omakase but it was truly fantastic (just like the one in NYC).
Oooh, Sasabune. Very nice sushi restaurant.
The Four Seasons is not very nice, by Four Seasons standards (it looks and feels like an 80s/90s resort), but Mina's is exceptional. They have a great Happy Hour too.
That's because it used to be a Marriott. The building itself is meh but the restaurants are very nice IMO. I love me some Mina's
The Sunday Brunch at The Four Seasons right next door reopened this spring and is a bit more pricey than Halekulani’s, but even better. There are more selections, including lobster tails, the sushi tasted better, and overall it was a better dining experience.
Yes! Sunday brunch is where it's at. I don't go anymore because I just can't eat as much anymore. But if money isn't an issue, it's a fantastic experience.

That's because it used to be a Marriott. The building itself is meh but the restaurants are very nice IMO. I love me some Mina's
Actually, it started life as the super high-end Ihilani, back when there was only one bay at Ko Olina. It was later sold to Marriott, and they branded it as their luxury JW Marriott, before it was later sold to Four Seasons. It doesn't look like they've done much work to it, as the architectural finishes and features of the structure and grounds look really dated. Four Seasons does this all the time, most notably in Europe, with classic spaces, but 80s/90s doesn't have that classic cachet yet!

Thanks again for the votes.

Looks like Mina's is in the lead. Honestly, that was only my third tentative pick, after Roy's and then Ama Ama. But those both seem to be losers in the poll.

I may have to consider Mina's a little harder.

Also, Noe is making a good showing - I'm not really a pasta-type guy, so it wasn't really on my radar, but if it's nicer than the rest, I would consider it.

And, as a side note, we are staying in Waikiki for 2 nights at the Hyatt Regency prior to Aulani, so wasn't really considering Waikiki in terms of this thread.

But I will definitely consider the recommendations for Waikiki for the beginning of the trip. Thanks!

Thanks. Yes, that was kind of what I had wondered - if anything was really high-end around Ko Olina.

We don't necessarily need "fine" dining - can do that somewhere else (most recently was e by Jose Andres in Vegas), but was looking for something nicer than casual - Monkeypod, for example.
In that case, I definitely suggest Roy's. It's definitely a couple of steps up from Monkeypod.

And my wife and I liked é at the Cosmopolitan, but found the experience overall a bit forced, like they were trying so hard to be cool and hip and different that they instead came across a bit like a nerdy wannabe. But yes, there's nothing even remotely close to that in Ko Olina.

In that case, I definitely suggest Roy's. It's definitely a couple of steps up from Monkeypod.

And my wife and I liked é at the Cosmopolitan, but found the experience overall a bit forced, like they were trying so hard to be cool and hip and different that they instead came across a bit like a nerdy wannabe. But yes, there's nothing even remotely close to that in Ko Olina.
Really? I didn't get that at all. I guess we each have our experiences. I agree that some of the courses seemed "forced" in their attempts to be unique and unusual, but I found it high-end and yet lacking the annoying pretentiousness that you find a places like Joel Robuchon. The chefs at e were good at doing their thing while BS'ing with us about movies and Vegas shows and all kinds of other stuff.

Thanks for the vote for Roy's though. Now I still don't know what to pick. :)

Thanks again for the votes.

Looks like Mina's is in the lead. Honestly, that was only my third tentative pick, after Roy's and then Ama Ama. But those both seem to be losers in the poll.

I may have to consider Mina's a little harder.

Also, Noe is making a good showing - I'm not really a pasta-type guy, so it wasn't really on my radar, but if it's nicer than the rest, I would consider it.
Yeah, don’t discount Noe. It’s very nice and, for us, always good. Stay away from Roy’s.

Yeah, don’t discount Noe. It’s very nice and, for us, always good. Stay away from Roy’s.
It really is interesting what different experiences different people can have. My one meal at Noe was so laughably bad that I'll never try ANY of the restaurants at the Four Seasons ever again. Yet Roy's is a tradition every trip to Aulani, and has ranged from great to spectacular every single time. I guess that's why the OP is collecting votes! 8-)

We were there the last week in April and went to 3 of your choices - all of which are very walkable. Best over
all food IMO tho IMO was @ Monkeypod (even tho it's not "fine dining"). I had the homemade gnocchi and it was insanely delish. The live entertainment was also unexpectedly good too.

Roy's was a total disappointment (we'd been before and it was very good so we had high hopes). Food was meh and unremarkable and our server was horrible. He was distracted by a large private party in a private room and we were definitely afterthoughts. They should have never given him regular tables on top of the party. He was very arrogant too with all of his answers to any questions we had. No live entertainment.

We went to Noe on our anniversary night (it was a Tues and Ama Ama is closed on Tuesdays). We really enjoyed the ambience and the food was very good. Our server was excellent - he was right on top of everything. Pricy but cheaper than Ama Ama.

Ama Ama was special with beautiful sunset views but it's verrrry overpriced. We didn't care for the whole pre-fixed menu thing which Disney seems to be turning to more often. However, that said, both the service and the food were fabulous. I just felt a little sick afterwards on how much money we spent there. $450-ish for 1 meal was a bit extragavent for me. Probably would not go again just because the price is a little out of our typical range. We just splurged bcuz it was our 30th anniv trip.

I voted for Noe because the food was good, the ambience was good and our server was good and it was a tad more affordable than Ama Ama.

Last edited:
I did the private island dinner at Noe and it was great. The service was probably closest to a real high end place. But if your opportunities to dine in Hawaii are limited do you really want Italian food? - and there is not a water view.

Roy’s has good food. But is dated and everything is a little dusty. Also no view.

The previous iteration of Ama Ama was my favorite - best view IMO. I’m not sure about the new menu concept - but have yet to try it. With the correct seat and a sunset it is gorgeous there.

Mina’s would be my choice. Excellent service and exceptional fish choices and beautiful view.. It’s more of a casual environment than a traditional high end one and can be slightly crowded. I liked the food at Mina’s Waikiki restaurant more - but the view/ambiance makes up for that.

We’re foodies too. Hawaii higher end dining is so uneven I had multiple underwhelming meals at Nobu in Lanai - and I’m not sure I’ve ever had a bad meal at any other Nobu ever. I also had a godawful meal at the Morimoto in Waikiki.

Tangentially- I don’t know if you regularly watch YouTube - but Alexander the Guest has amazing dining videos from Michelin starred restaurants.

We were there the last week in April and went to 3 of your choices - all of which are very walkable. Best over
all food IMO tho IMO was @ Monkeypod (even tho it's not "fine dining"). I had the homemade gnocchi and it was insanely delish. The live entertainment was also unexpectedly good too.

Roy's was a total disappointment (we'd been before and it was very good so we had high hopes). Food was meh and unremarkable and our server was horrible. He was distracted by a large private party in a private room and we were definitely afterthoughts. They should have never given him regular tables on top of the party. He was very arrogant too with all of his answers to any questions we had. No live entertainment.

We went to Noe on our anniversary night (it was a Tues and Ama Ama is closed on Tuesdays). We really enjoyed the ambience and the food was very good. Our server was excellent - he was right on top of everything. Pricy but cheaper than Ama Ama.

Ama Ama was special with beautiful sunset views but it's verrrry overpriced. We didn't care for the whole pre-fixed menu thing which Disney seems to be turning to more often. However, that said, both the service and the food were fabulous. I just felt a little sick afterwards on how much money we spent there. $450-ish for 1 meal was a bit extragavent for me. Probably would not go again just because the price is a little out of our typical range. We just splurged bcuz it was our 30th anniv trip.

I voted for Noe because the food was good, the ambience was good and our server was good and it was a tad more affordable than Ama Ama.
Thanks so much for the detailed review!
I did the private island dinner at Noe and it was great. The service was probably closest to a real high end place. But if your opportunities to dine in Hawaii are limited do you really want Italian food? - and there is not a water view.

Roy’s has good food. But is dated and everything is a little dusty. Also no view.

The previous iteration of Ama Ama was my favorite - best view IMO. I’m not sure about the new menu concept - but have yet to try it. With the correct seat and a sunset it is gorgeous there.

Mina’s would be my choice. Excellent service and exceptional fish choices and beautiful view.. It’s more of a casual environment than a traditional high end one and can be slightly crowded. I liked the food at Mina’s Waikiki restaurant more - but the view/ambiance makes up for that.

We’re foodies too. Hawaii higher end dining is so uneven I had multiple underwhelming meals at Nobu in Lanai - and I’m not sure I’ve ever had a bad meal at any other Nobu ever. I also had a godawful meal at the Morimoto in Waikiki.

Tangentially- I don’t know if you regularly watch YouTube - but Alexander the Guest has amazing dining videos from Michelin starred restaurants.
Thanks! Yes, I agree about eating Italian food in Hawaii. I don't think that I have to eat only Spam and poke the entire trip, but pasta isn't really my thing anyway.

I'm thinking that, if I have to pick only one, then Roy's is probably out - based on these votes. Other than that, I still haven't decided.

Thanks very much to everyone who contributed!

It needs to be repeated: Roy's is a chain restaurant that delivers the same experience at any of its stores. It's upper-moderate dining by the numbers. Roy's brand has been diluted since the early-90s only-kid-on-the-block days. It's just tired and uninspired these days. And that's not an opinion. I get that people love a consistent thing (look at the Olive Garden's success), and that mentality gravitates towards places like these, and that's fine. But it's not the experience that OP has asked about. At Ko Olina, only Mina's fits that bill.

It needs to be repeated: Roy's is a chain restaurant that delivers the same experience at any of its stores. It's upper-moderate dining by the numbers. Roy's brand has been diluted since the early-90s only-kid-on-the-block days. It's just tired and uninspired these days. And that's not an opinion. I get that people love a consistent thing (look at the Olive Garden's success), and that mentality gravitates towards places like these, and that's fine. But it's not the experience that OP has asked about. At Ko Olina, only Mina's fits that bill.
We loved Mina’s, but I don’t get why Ama Ama doesn’t fit the bill as well.

I think it does. It’s just AMA AMA is almost twice the cost over Roy’s or Mina’s. The prefix menu at AMA’s is also very restrictive whereas you have more flexibility for less at the other two?

It definitely has the circuses, but the breads come off as all pre-made, ready-to-plate in the kitchen, and it shows, ultimately, in the results that arrive at the table.

Well, technically that is an opinion, because "tired and uninspired" is not quantifiable. :)

But I understand and appreciate the sentiment. Honestly, I knew Roy's had multiple locations in Hawaii, but had no idea that it was a large chain. For us, being a chain doesn't necessarily disqualify it for consideration (maybe that means we're not real foodies?), but in the case of Roy's in the scope of this thread, I have mostly ruled it out. Thanks.

If you want to stay closer to "home," Mina's is probably the best bet. The Four Seasons is not very nice, by Four Seasons standards (it looks and feels like an 80s/90s resort), but Mina's is exceptional. They have a great Happy Hour too.
We went to Mina’s by walking from the beach path, and we sat outside, so we really didn’t see the resort building at all.
started life as the super high-end Ihilani
Whoa! I remember the Ihilani and there was *nothing* out there….
You only let us pick 1! I would have picked AMA AMA and Mina’s as a close tie and Roy’s below that because of the building/ambiance and just a notch below on food.
I think it does. It’s just AMA AMA is almost twice the cost over Roy’s or Mina’s. The prefix menu at AMA’s is also very restrictive whereas you have more flexibility for less at the other two?
For “higher end” dining, we tried Momkeypod, AMA AMA (it autocorrects to all caps on my device, don’t know why), Mina’s and Roy’s. We enjoyed all of them and took our 7 and 11 yo daughters (also foodies) to both of them. The server at Mina’s helped us organize a family-style meal that helped us save some money (i.e., 3 of us shared a whole fish, and we added bulky sides and appetizers), but I don’t think it would have been that much less $$ if we’d ordered the same level/quantity of food. The setting was magical - sunset (although AA‘s sunset view is a little better), with live music and great service. The kids ran down to the beach and played between courses, and it was overall a very relaxed experience.

Roy’s - we actually considered going back a second time (and then decided to just eat casually by the pool because no one wanted to get dressed up any more). Its standards (butterfish) and other fish dishes were really excellent, but because it has no view and the indoor restaurant doesn’t feel very fancy (and it’s a little dark), I think it detracted from the experience a bit. But the *food* was very good and our server was knowledgeable and attentive. So we didn’t have the issues that other people mentioned upthread. Yes it’s a “chain”, but we are from NYC so a PacRim “chain” with good food is still worth a try. Because of the decor and lack of view, we probably had lower expectations, but they were more than met.

Ama AMA - the food here was the best. Yes, it’s far more expensive and it’s restrictive in the sense that it’s a prix fixe, and you have to pick an appetizer and a main and a dessert, but that freed us up to try a LOT of stuff. We were there for a spectacular sunset, and our server was super friendly and knowledgeable. We probably messed with their schedule a lot because we kept getting up to take pictures everywhere, but they didn’t miss a beat and they never told us we should sit back down, either. And the food was sooo good. Also - we’ve taken our girls to some pretty high end restaurants in NYC but not the upper-level Michelin starred places, so they really appreciated AMA AMA. (Really, autocorrect??) It was our last night, I believe, and everything came together to make for a magical experience. I will note that the adult beverages at AA are a step above those at Mina’s also - Mina’s are good but they are fanciful and don’t take themselves too seriously (e.g. one comes in a SPAM can). AA had an ube cocktail that was very memorable.

We like Noe And have always enjoyed dinner. We dislike roys And have had two bad meals there. Minas fish house has good food but we enjoy the happy hour which runs from 3 to 5. We go around 4, order a drink, sot on the patio and then before 5 order a bunch of appetizers to share for dinner. We always go to longhis while at aulani but I would not count it as a place for a fancy dinner. We haven’t been to Ama Ama since it reopened but we always enjoyed it in the past.

We went to Mina’s by walking from the beach path, and we sat outside, so we really didn’t see the resort building at all.

Whoa! I remember the Ihilani and there was *nothing* out there….

You only let us pick 1! I would have picked AMA AMA and Mina’s as a close tie and Roy’s below that because of the building/ambiance and just a notch below on food.

For “higher end” dining, we tried Momkeypod, AMA AMA (it autocorrects to all caps on my device, don’t know why), Mina’s and Roy’s. We enjoyed all of them and took our 7 and 11 yo daughters (also foodies) to both of them. The server at Mina’s helped us organize a family-style meal that helped us save some money (i.e., 3 of us shared a whole fish, and we added bulky sides and appetizers), but I don’t think it would have been that much less $$ if we’d ordered the same level/quantity of food. The setting was magical - sunset (although AA‘s sunset view is a little better), with live music and great service. The kids ran down to the beach and played between courses, and it was overall a very relaxed experience.

Roy’s - we actually considered going back a second time (and then decided to just eat casually by the pool because no one wanted to get dressed up any more). Its standards (butterfish) and other fish dishes were really excellent, but because it has no view and the indoor restaurant doesn’t feel very fancy (and it’s a little dark), I think it detracted from the experience a bit. But the *food* was very good and our server was knowledgeable and attentive. So we didn’t have the issues that other people mentioned upthread. Yes it’s a “chain”, but we are from NYC so a PacRim “chain” with good food is still worth a try. Because of the decor and lack of view, we probably had lower expectations, but they were more than met.

Ama AMA - the food here was the best. Yes, it’s far more expensive and it’s restrictive in the sense that it’s a prix fixe, and you have to pick an appetizer and a main and a dessert, but that freed us up to try a LOT of stuff. We were there for a spectacular sunset, and our server was super friendly and knowledgeable. We probably messed with their schedule a lot because we kept getting up to take pictures everywhere, but they didn’t miss a beat and they never told us we should sit back down, either. And the food was sooo good. Also - we’ve taken our girls to some pretty high end restaurants in NYC but not the upper-level Michelin starred places, so they really appreciated AMA AMA. (Really, autocorrect??) It was our last night, I believe, and everything came together to make for a magical experience. I will note that the adult beverages at AA are a step above those at Mina’s also - Mina’s are good but they are fanciful and don’t take themselves too seriously (e.g. one comes in a SPAM can). AA had an ube cocktail that was very memorable.
Spot on, IMO!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter