Best last minute tips, tricks, advice?!

triciambe

Mouseketeer
We are 12 days and counting before our Disney trip - 7 days, 6 nights, at Art of Animation. Trip includes my husband and our three boys (12, 10, 6). I've read endless posts here and elsewhere, and listened to podcasts discussing FP+ strategy and ADRs - both of which are all booked and ready to go. I used Touring Plans to create a flexible but hopefully efficient game plan for our trip. I've put together our packing list. At this point, I'm probably overplanned, but I would much rather plan this all out now and then go on "auto-pilot" once we get to the parks and enjoy ourselves. :)

Question for the more experienced Disney travelers (this is our second trip in five years)... what last-minute tip, trick, advice do you have? Maybe something that even the over-planners among us may have overlooked and/or wish you knew? Extra special touches?

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Try not to do full park days...it'll tire everyone out and by the end of the third day, you'll all be cranky! Go to a park in the morning, and then around lunchtime head back to the hotel to rest or swim in the pool. Then head back to the parks around 4 or 5 for the night. Definitely makes a huge difference! Splitting up our day has always worked well for us.

I am a HUGE over-planner as well! When it's almost time for my trip, I always go on MDE to make sure everything is still scheduled how I want it. Then, I check to see if Disney has added anything for the dates we're going; Disney is known to add surprise things last minute! Enjoy your trip!

I know it was said already but I will say it again, be flexible things will come up rides will break down, it will rain, you will wait longer to eat at your ADR then you think you should. and slow down to really look around at all the little things Disney does. Take time to talk to CM and see where they are from ( and not just at EPCOT world show case)

I agree with gap2368, go slow, don't over plan or over think. Just enjoy the place, slow down and look at the details. Sit and relax and just enjoy being there. Don't think you have to do something special to make it special, the place in and of itself will take care of that if you let it.

Absolutely be flexible and willing to change plans, cancel ADRs, cancel FPs, etc. Don't let it bother you if everyone (or just one or two in your family) decide they don't like your plan for the day or the next things on your daily touring plan. Don't be afraid to "admit defeat" and leave a park much earlier than planned because people are tired. Don't be afraid to skip rope drop and let people sleep in if they would rather sleep longer. If everyone just wants a QS hot dog instead of the impossible to get TS ADR you have planned, roll with it. If no one is very hungry but you have another impossible to get TS ADR planned, don't feel like you "have to" go and eat anyway just because you were victorious in getting the coveted ADR. Don't be so commando that you forget to stop and take it all in - it is easy to not even look around at the beauty and fun of WDW because you are so focused on getting to the next attraction on time. It's okay to see the ice cream cart and decide ice cream sounds good right now even though it wasn't planned. If your kids decide the resort pool or mini golf sounds like more fun than hitting every major attraction on your carefully planned touring plan - have fun in the pool and playing mini golf instead. Don't be afraid to split up and meet back later if people want to do different things. I once rode the TTA around and around by myself several times because my son wanted to do Space Mountain over and over again and the line was not very long. That has actually ended up being one of my favorite memories at WDW - I realized I had never been alone at WDW and it was awesome to kick back and relax and just take everything in. I am certain we ate at many hard to get TS places that trip and had FPs for all the good rides, yet what I vividly remember from that trip is my time on the TTA.

It is much more fun to just let all the pre-planning go than to have people in your family miserable at WDW because they want to do something different than what was pre-planned. You will see a LOT of moms who have clearly planned for months (or years!) who are yelling, yes YELLING, at the top of their lungs at their husband or kids because they aren't walking fast enough to get to the next thing they just have scheduled, or because they want to do something that "isn't on the plan." You will see kids crying because their mom is mad at them because "they are ruining the entire vacation" because they don't want to ride something they have planned at that exact moment. I can't tell you the number of times I have seen an angrily focused mom barking out orders to her family as she clears a path through the crowds - meanwhile her husband and kids look so sad as they miserably try to keep up with her. It's insane and is one of my biggest pet peeves at WDW.

In the end, just remember that a WDW vacation is supposed to be fun for everyone.

Drink lots & lots of water, wear hats, stand/sit in the shade whenever possible, walk thru the shops for a/c, don't be afraid to alter your plans when you need to (like stopping for ice cream & a rest), also everyone gets cranky at some point so maybe make a code word to use to signal it's time for a break or just a mini time out. For example, when my DD was little, i would take her off aside & sit down for a few minutes alone with her, let her say what was bothering her or just have her sit quietly to regroup her thoughts, then we'd meet up with the others. And when I would need a time out, I would tell my DH, & walk off for moment alone to regroup (so to speak). I know it sounds weird, but crowds of people, heat, lines, little sleep, etc. can get to the best of children & adults alike. And it's fine to skip an afternoon at the parks for the pool. Yes the tickets are high, but it's better to have happy kids at the pool, than whining kids at the parks, imho.

Most importantly: HAVE FUN!

Absolutely be flexible and willing to change plans, cancel ADRs, cancel FPs, etc. Don't let it bother you if everyone (or just one or two in your family) decide they don't like your plan for the day or the next things on your daily touring plan. Don't be afraid to "admit defeat" and leave a park much earlier than planned because people are tired. Don't be afraid to skip rope drop and let people sleep in if they would rather sleep longer. If everyone just wants a QS hot dog instead of the impossible to get TS ADR you have planned, roll with it. If no one is very hungry but you have another impossible to get TS ADR planned, don't feel like you "have to" go and eat anyway just because you were victorious in getting the coveted ADR. Don't be so commando that you forget to stop and take it all in - it is easy to not even look around at the beauty and fun of WDW because you are so focused on getting to the next attraction on time. It's okay to see the ice cream cart and decide ice cream sounds good right now even though it wasn't planned. If your kids decide the resort pool or mini golf sounds like more fun than hitting every major attraction on your carefully planned touring plan - have fun in the pool and playing mini golf instead. Don't be afraid to split up and meet back later if people want to do different things. I once rode the TTA around and around by myself several times because my son wanted to do Space Mountain over and over again and the line was not very long. That has actually ended up being one of my favorite memories at WDW - I realized I had never been alone at WDW and it was awesome to kick back and relax and just take everything in. I am certain we ate at many hard to get TS places that trip and had FPs for all the good rides, yet what I vividly remember from that trip is my time on the TTA.

It is much more fun to just let all the pre-planning go than to have people in your family miserable at WDW because they want to do something different than what was pre-planned. You will see a LOT of moms who have clearly planned for months (or years!) who are yelling, yes YELLING, at the top of their lungs at their husband or kids because they aren't walking fast enough to get to the next thing they just have scheduled, or because they want to do something that "isn't on the plan." You will see kids crying because their mom is mad at them because "they are ruining the entire vacation" because they don't want to ride something they have planned at that exact moment. I can't tell you the number of times I have seen an angrily focused mom barking out orders to her family as she clears a path through the crowds - meanwhile her husband and kids look so sad as they miserably try to keep up with her. It's insane and is one of my biggest pet peeves at WDW.

In the end, just remember that a WDW vacation is supposed to be fun for everyone.

Yes, totally! All of this. One of the things that my family and I have done is actually put our touring plans together. It's been fun to see the boys negotiate over when we should do this/that, where to eat, etc. I also love that everyone is getting to do something they want to do or that's "on their list." That said, I'm more than ready for them to change their minds, for the lines to be longer than we thought, for the rain to ruin some of plans, for the day to be much hotter than we can handle, etc. I'm hoping the breaks we've built in every day—some in the morning, some in the afternoon, and some in the evening—will help.

I'm probably overplanned,
First off you can never over plan disney!! I thought i was planning last minute when i did NYE 2 months out. I would definitly have loaded the my disney experience app -- I also had the touring plans one for my last trip, but didn't find it as user friendly as the MDE. Maybe i just wasn't using it properly. Having at least the MDE app will allow you to view all the est wait times so that you can tackle those rides you don't have FP for and if you find one of your FP has a short wait you can promptly try to get something else instead. You can never anticipate ride closures, but one thing i learned on my last trip was if there is a closure they will email you, then you can either go back and use your FP if/when the ride re-opens or (I am almost positive) you can use the FP for any ride (within the same tier).

Sounds like you have your FP booked, dining reservations -- if you grabbed what you could, but really wanted something else then stalk the few days before because people always cancel.

Your 6 year old might have a tougher time keeping up with the older kids. Our last trip was with our twins who were 9 at the time -- they lasted all day from open to close without many breaks our younger daughter who is 4 now - i'm worried she won't make it until noon. Hopefully the breaks you have planned will work to keep everyone going.

just relax - adjust your plans as you go and enjoys your family time.

If you don't have it consider the memory maker -- it is a lot of money but the family pictures, ride photos and magic shots you get are priceless!!

Don't get discouraged if you don't get to do something you really wanted to do. Don't let hiccups in your trip ruin your trip. You won't get to everything, and at some point you may have to abandon some or all of your plan. It's ok. You can still have a fantastic trip. Don't expect CMs to give you "extras" or pixie dust your trip. Be kind to CMs, espcially bus drivers (they seem to get a bad rap for things mostly outside their control), as well as other guests. Enjoy the company of those you are with. Most of all have fun!!

First off you can never over plan disney!!

Lol. We are kindred spirits. :)

Sounds like you have your FP booked, dining reservations -- if you grabbed what you could, but really wanted something else then stalk the few days before because people always cancel.

Yes, I actually would like to switch nights for one of our ADRs. I'm trying out Touring Plans dining reservation finder and crossing my fingers!

If you don't have it consider the memory maker -- it is a lot of money but the family pictures, ride photos and magic shots you get are priceless!!

We had this last time, too, and it worked great - and I snagged it for this trip before the price went up. :)

Thanks for your help!

Something our families did on our last trip was find hidden Mickeys at certain locations through out the park. My bother in law made a list for each park and when we were in queues waiting on rides he would give us clues and we had a blast trying find the hidden mickeys or something special that was setup were we were at. It made us really pay attention to the surroundings.

I'll echo what others said - be flexible. I found Touring Plans very helpful, but their walking times were too ambitious for us. Even on the most relaxed setting, we didn't get nearly as much done as they said we would because of the time it took to navigate through the crowds.

Lots of water! And don't forget the sunscreen. My kids loved the refillable popcorn buckets. They are $10 and you can refill them the whole trip for $1.50. It made for a cheap, relatively healthy snack.

Have fun!

Lol. We are kindred spirits. :)
Which is why i have have been planning our April 2018 trip for the past 2 years.

Enjoy your trip and you will have to report back on how you made out. I am probably most curious how you all fair the humid weather. I'm in MA - we get humid weather, but i guess the FL humidity is brutal. I wouldn't mind an end of the school year trip at the end of June, but the humidity scares me. The rain i don't mind and it probably would scare a lot of people away.

I saw something similar to this on a FB ad and though these would be great for a disney trip -- nothing could be worse than having one pair of shoes and them getting soaked.

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Wat...99529325&sr=8-1&keywords=shoe+covers+for+rain

Which is why i have have been planning our April 2018 trip for the past 2 years.

Enjoy your trip and you will have to report back on how you made out. I am probably most curious how you all fair the humid weather. I'm in MA - we get humid weather, but i guess the FL humidity is brutal. I wouldn't mind an end of the school year trip at the end of June, but the humidity scares me. The rain i don't mind and it probably would scare a lot of people away.

I saw something similar to this on a FB ad and though these would be great for a disney trip -- nothing could be worse than having one pair of shoes and them getting soaked.

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Wat...99529325&sr=8-1&keywords=shoe+covers+for+rain

The last time we went, it was almost exactly this same time. We're in Philly, so we know humid summers, though I also know FL is no joke. Last time, we took our time and drank tons of water. We also had/have one of those sunshade umbrellas - and it's true! It really does feel at least 10 degrees cooler under one of those. I saw those Frogg Togg cooling towels recommended a lot, so we also have those with us on this trip (plus ponchos, etc.). I'm going with some sturdier, padded flip flops (what I used last time and worked well). The boys have these Swiftwater Croc sandals, which they've been walking around comfortably for the last month (plus sneakers if needed).

I'll echo what others said - be flexible. I found Touring Plans very helpful, but their walking times were too ambitious for us. Even on the most relaxed setting, we didn't get nearly as much done as they said we would because of the time it took to navigate through the crowds.

Lots of water! And don't forget the sunscreen. My kids loved the refillable popcorn buckets. They are $10 and you can refill them the whole trip for $1.50. It made for a cheap, relatively healthy snack.

Have fun!

That's interesting to hear about Touring plans. I was wondering how accurate they really were - the times seem overly ambitious, so I built in more time for us. Lol.

Yes they were really ambitious. I added in attractions that we wouldn't mind skipping in between our "must-dos" and fast passes and it all worked out perfectly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter