Best Lenten meal recipes?

I make (all no meat)…,,
Lasagna Roll Ups with spinach
Stuffed shells with our without spinach
Pepper & Egg Sandwiches
Baked Ziti

The old standbyes…..
Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese (that’s what we’re having Wednesday)
Breakfast for dinner
Frozen Fish items

That sounds delicious, but it has beef broth in it. That's a no no for Ash Wednesday and Fridays during Lent.

My DH decided to do low/no carb a couple weeks ago. That means lots of fish for him, but we'll be ordering pagash pizza for the rest of us at least one Friday this season.
Beef broth is not meat and is not forbidden during Lenten abstinence.

"Abstinence laws consider that meat comes only from animals such as chickens, cows, sheep or pigs—all of which live on land. Birds are also considered meat. Abstinence does not include meat juices and liquid foods made from meat. Thus, such foods as chicken broth, consommé, soups cooked or flavored with meat, meat gravies or sauces, as well as seasonings or condiments made from animal fat are not forbidden." -USCCB

"Abstinence laws consider that meat comes only from animals such as chickens, cows, sheep or pigs—all of which live on land. Birds are also considered meat. Abstinence does not include meat juices and liquid foods made from meat. Thus, such foods as chicken broth, consommé, soups cooked or flavored with meat, meat gravies or sauces, as well as seasonings or condiments made from animal fat are not forbidden." -USCCB
Isn't that interesting?!?

That's not how I was brought up. I will have to think about and consider this.

Also, capybaras don't count as meat.

This is correct. You can have chicken or beef broth and not violate the fasting/abstinence regulations for lent.

I started the reminder announcements yesterday

Adding to the list of stuff already mentioned we do
Stuffed Aubergine
Ingredients

• 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2-3 shallot, minced
  • 1 garlic clove (powdered if you like it)
  • 1 large eggplant - 6 - 8 MINI
  • 2/3 cup seasoned breadcrumb (whatever kind you like will be fine)
  • 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
Cut eggplant in half and scoop out insides to be diced up into roughly 1/4 inch chunks (doesn't matter much- do what you like)
sometimes I add diced zucchini and mushroom if I have on hand but I don't go out of my way for it
Add squeeze lemon juice and a pinch of Emerils Essense if you have it (can look up his recipe)
Cut and saute cut up insides of eggplant, onion, garlic & shallot5-10 min
(I usually boil the eggplant skin about 5 min drain then set it on a cookie sheet as the other stuff is cooling)
Mix bread crumbs and cheese thoroughly with the sauted mix
Fill each eggplant skin half with mixture.
Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.

We also love the Caponatina below which is a lot like brushetta but more substantial so it ends up more of a meal, like a french bread pizza on italian bread. This dish is a bit sharp the day you make it and tastes entirely different sitting in the fridge overnight.

Also sharing our favorite leek soup. During Lent I use veggie broth instead, and serve with garlic bread.

I usually have a lot of Lentil/Barley/Split green pea soup on hand too, the Goya recipes on the packages are how we like it and veggie broth works fine with all the other flavors
2020-08-23_18-42-09_242 (1).jpeg
2019-12-28_13-15-38_456.jpeg

That sounds delicious, but it has beef broth in it. That's a no no for Ash Wednesday and Fridays during Lent.

My DH decided to do low/no carb a couple weeks ago. That means lots of fish for him, but we'll be ordering pagash pizza for the rest of us at least one Friday this season.

Is beef broth really verboten for Lent?

We were raised that the flesh of animals was banned, but by-products were OK.

Ooops, I see this has already been answered.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter