Best Lenten meal recipes?

This is what the Catholic Church says is okay, orthodox follows different dietary rules.

Not that I pay attention to rules anymore, but I often eat fish or non-meat on Fridays throughout the year. My family kept up the tradition even after the Vatican relaxed the prohibition.

Unlike many kids, I actually liked fish, and not just fish sticks or tuna. But no dark oily “fishy” fish.

Beef broth is not meat and is not forbidden during Lenten abstinence.

"Abstinence laws consider that meat comes only from animals such as chickens, cows, sheep or pigs—all of which live on land. Birds are also considered meat. Abstinence does not include meat juices and liquid foods made from meat. Thus, such foods as chicken broth, consommé, soups cooked or flavored with meat, meat gravies or sauces, as well as seasonings or condiments made from animal fat are not forbidden." -USCCB

Don't know why I"ve never looked this up before. I always thought that we couldn't use those. That being said, I give up meat on Friday's all year long and use meat flavorings on those days but during Lent I do my best to refrain from using them. It takes it to a new level for me :)

My go to is usually mac n cheese with salsa, baked potatoes, salmon, breakfast, and shrimp quesadillas. I have always said that I should give up seafood for Lent and not meat. It would be more of a sacrifice :)

Don't know why I"ve never looked this up before. I always thought that we couldn't use those. That being said, I give up meat on Friday's all year long and use meat flavorings on those days but during Lent I do my best to refrain from using them. It takes it to a new level for me :)

My go to is usually mac n cheese with salsa, baked potatoes, salmon, breakfast, and shrimp quesadillas. I have always said that I should give up seafood for Lent and not meat. It would be more of a sacrifice :)

I feel the same way, so I actually try to not "make my best" during Lent, at least for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday (I've decided the regular Fridays, including the 3 Church soup dinners, can have my best:))...

But I give up dairy and tree nuts for Lent and all the other days of the year instead...and I help run the 3 Church soup dinners as my actual "extra" sacrifice. And my family knows they cannot give up foods for Lent b/c I'm not accommodating them and my allergies. Alcohol and soda are fine, but not foods.

That said, this is gonna be one of my Church soups - allergy free (except for those who are severely nut allergic and can't eat any legumes, either) - and has protein. I made it for the Church homeless shelter this winter and it was a huge hit...PS - I don't always follow measurements:)...

https://www.veggieinspired.com/creamy-tomato-soup/

Last edited:
I have always said that I should give up seafood for Lent and not meat. It would be more of a sacrifice :)

Maybe I should give up “good” seafood like crab, lobster, and shrimp and stick to “regular” stuff like flounder or tilapia.

Tonight we are having homemade Shrimp Scampi & I'm going with the Hello Fresh recipe that calls for seafood concentrate. Fingers crossed since I have about a 50/50 luck rate with scampi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter