Best moderate resort?

GeorgiaHoo

DIS Veteran
We are thinking about switching from 1 room at Yacht Club to 2 rooms are Port Orleans. We are a party of 5 adults (2 parents, 3 adult kids) who are visiting in July 2020. Since it will be so hot during the day we don't anticipate spending much time at the parks until later in the day, and for that reason the option to walk to Epcot or Hollywood Studios (which we normally like) isn't particularly appealing, so the thinking is that 2 rooms are better than 1. We are open to getting two rooms at a moderate, which will be less expensive than a single room at Yacht Club and give us more room to relax. The only moderate we've stayed at is Port Orleans, which we like. But happy to consider another moderate that has a good pool and interesting grounds if someone has any ideas. We'll probably use Minnie Vans or Uber to get to the parks so location isn't a huge issue, and better restaurants would be a bonus.

You might want to check out CSR. The new tower, Gran Destino, has a very deluxe feel (perhaps even nicer than some deluxe based on photos on here) at the price of the moderates. The advantage is food, mug refills all can be done without walking outside at the tower. The main feature pool and main restaurants are a nice stroll across the water over the new bridges.

I have the same question - we have made over 20 trips in DVC Beach Club, Ft Wilderness campground, Port Orleans for a one night stay and the Yacht Club. Next year is our 50th anniversary and we want to bring our whole family down which will entail 5 rooms. We will have to check out the moderate resorts. Please give me your advice! The only other option is to rent a house off-site, but I would much rather stay in WDW. Thanks!

Last edited:

You might want to check out CSR. The new tower, Gran Destino, has a very deluxe feel (perhaps even nicer than some deluxe based on photos on here) at the price of the moderates. The advantage is food, mug refills all can be done without walking outside at the tower. The main feature pool and main restaurants are a nice stroll across the water over the new bridges.

I second this. We switched from Yacht to Gran Destino Tower at CSR for next May. I've been watching all the new pictures come out, oh my god, it's amazing! More adult feel, which we like. The rest of the resort is more family friendly. The grounds are gorgeous. Two new sit down restaurants in addition to the two (I think) sit downs already there.
All the construction that will be happening at Future World in Epcot...having the walk over just wasn't worth it to us this trip.

Very excited to stay here.

Last edited:
Now that our kids are grown and it is just DH and I visiting WDW, we stay at French Quarter. We enjoy everything about the resort. It is small, quiet, one bus stop, a lovely walk over to Riverside for additional dining options and the boat to Disney Springs is great. DH and I use the boat to Disney Springs a lot to have easy access to all the amazing dining options located there. We also like the FQ theme and the nice bar after a long day in the parks.

Do you use Coronado’s pool or do they have one of their own?

My vote is Coronado. It's got one of the best pools on property (right behind Stormalong Bay in my opinion) and has great theming. Plus, the rooms are brand new and incredibly nice. It also has restaurants and bars, even a spa -- it's definitely the most "deluxe" feeling of the moderates. I'd give it a try!

I absolutely adore Port Orleans French Quarter. My family and I have stayed there every visit since I was 5 years old! Although grown up now, we still go back for the relaxing vibes and small-town feel that the resort offers. It has a great pool and newly refurbished food court that your older folks should enjoy. There's a convenient boat ride offered to Disney Springs that's pretty scenic, fun, and would allow you to check out all the restaurants and stores offered there. FQ seems (in my opinion) like the perfect resort to relax and recharge at before heading into the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter