Best place to rent motorized scooters that's NOT in the park?

OOMHS

Earning My Ears
Hello all!

My (adult) daughter has lupus, POTS, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and sometimes struggles with walking for any length of time due to those issues. Last time we were there, we rented a wheelchair from the parks but they were pretty old and inconvenient to have to push her around. Does anyone have recommendations for mobility scooters that can be rented and delivered to the hotel (we are staying onsite)? I've done some Google research but figured you all might have some advice. Thanks in advance!

I’m sure you’ll get much more recent experiences. But my mom used to use buena vista scooter rentals and had no complaints.

For what it's worth, we were just on-property at Disney rather than Universal, and had a great experience with Gold Mobility. They were on-time for dropoff and pickup, and the scooter worked great.
Good luck with your decision.

Thanks all! I reserved one from Gold Mobility. Appreciate the recommendations!
I have booked RPR at Universal for February and checked to see what EVC's they recommend. They only have 3 vendors they ALLOW to deliver to their hotels, and Gold Mobility isn't on the list that I saw. I was hoping to rent one from Gold Mobility due to all the good reviews.

I'm glad I looked before booking one because they are not allowed on property. Check their website to see what 3 they allow delivered to Universal. I don't remember because I was so disappointed no gold mobility!

Has anyone booked another ECV at Universal which is included in their 3 companies? Thanks.

I have booked RPR at Universal for February and checked to see what EVC's they recommend. They only have 3 vendors they ALLOW to deliver to their hotels, and Gold Mobility isn't on the list that I saw. I was hoping to rent one from Gold Mobility due to all the good reviews.

I'm glad I looked before booking one because they are not allowed on property. Check their website to see what 3 they allow delivered to Universal. I don't remember because I was so disappointed no gold mobility!

Has anyone booked another ECV at Universal which is included in their 3 companies? Thanks.
Where are you seeing that info? We booked with Gold for our upcoming Christmas trip. We're staying at Endless Summer. According to the Gold site, they will deliver to the bell desks at most of the Uni hotels; Royal Pacific and Aventura are the exceptions. For those two, they only do 'in person' delivery.

Their definitions are:
BELL DESK PICKUP AND DELIVERY -This means that your rental will be standing by waiting at bell services or front desk as you arrive at your hotel or resort. You just ask the front desk or bell services fir your rental. You simply just return your rental back to the bell desk or front desk when your rental is done. We pick it up from there.
IN PERSON DELIVERY AND PICKUP -This means GMS will meet you in person at your hotel or resort at the exact time that you select for delivery . We also meet you at your exact selected time at your hotel or resort for pickup / return. Due to resort restrictions certain resorts don't allow use of bell desks for delivery and pickup services. This is the reason why GMS only offers this service for certain resorts.

Where are you seeing that info? We booked with Gold for our upcoming Christmas trip. We're staying at Endless Summer. According to the Gold site, they will deliver to the bell desks at most of the Uni hotels; Royal Pacific and Aventura are the exceptions. For those two, they only do 'in person' delivery.

Their definitions are:
BELL DESK PICKUP AND DELIVERY -This means that your rental will be standing by waiting at bell services or front desk as you arrive at your hotel or resort. You just ask the front desk or bell services fir your rental. You simply just return your rental back to the bell desk or front desk when your rental is done. We pick it up from there.
IN PERSON DELIVERY AND PICKUP -This means GMS will meet you in person at your hotel or resort at the exact time that you select for delivery . We also meet you at your exact selected time at your hotel or resort for pickup / return. Due to resort restrictions certain resorts don't allow use of bell desks for delivery and pickup services. This is the reason why GMS only offers this service for certain resorts.
I just clicked on their site about ECV 's. I saw this printed on there and couldnt believe it myself. They said the only ECV's allowed to be delivered were the 3 they mentioned. I will try and find it and put the exact wording on here. I really hope I can use Gold Mobility. If I can't resolve it I will call Royal Pacific and ask. I will let you know.

cschaaf: I found it on the Universal site!

Go to RPR (where we are staying)
Scroll down and click on information and policies
Scroll down to guests with disabilities
scroll down to mobility scooter rental
Here is the direct quote: "Preferred vendors below. Please be aware than No Other companies are allowed to deliver mobility scooters" This is quoted in 2 places here.

Companies allowed are:
Buena Vista REntals
BP mobility
Scooter Bug
Apple Scooter

Please check for yourself. It sounds like these 4 are the only ones allowed. I will call Rpr myself and ask them if Gold Mobility can deliver scooters because that's the one we want. According to this, I don't think I will be allowed.

Their definitions are:
Follow up, I found that language (only 4 vendors allowed on property) on the Loews site for Dockside.

I called the hotel and the person that answered said the site was correct and only the 4 listed were allowed. She then transferred me to someone else to see if they could help. It dumped into voicemail and I left a message. That was 5 hours ago and still no response.

I emailed Gold and their response was: "While the Universal Resorts do have a "preferred vendor" list, it does not bar us from delivering there. We deliver to all Universal Resorts, however - as you pointed out - the only two we must do in person are Royal Pacific and Aventura. We can happily deliver to Dockside for you with no issue."

For us, we'll have our car so, worst case, we'll go get it ourselves if we have to.

Small update: got a text from Gold Mobility Scooters today saying our scooter will be delivered to the bell desk at Dockside on our arrival day (2 days from now). So that is promising.

I’ll update once we get there.

Small update: got a text from Gold Mobility Scooters today saying our scooter will be delivered to the bell desk at Dockside on our arrival day (2 days from now). So that is promising.

I’ll update once we get there.
Interesting twist

When I ordered the scooter a few months back, I didn’t add any accessories (like the free cane holder). At the time, we didn’t need it.

Since, my wife has started using a cane. I emailed Gold today and asked if they could add the cane holder.

They replied pretty quickly and said they they couldn’t add it to the scooter because it had already been delivered to the hotel… a day early!

I’d guess they either bundled our scooter with other drop offs or there was a return that matches our order so they inspected and left it there for us. Either way, I’m happy to know it’s already there.

They did say they could deliver the cane holder on their next trip to Dockside, but added that most customers say the holder is inconvenient anyway.

So we decided that we’ll just us a collapsible cane and put it in the front basket.

Interesting reading this thread. I have never needed a scooter, but it seems to me the Uni resort unloading areas are open access, no gate control, so I think it might be hard for them to keep certain vehicles out if they were delivering a scooter directly to a customer. I could see not allowing them to go to bell services, but I would trust Gold if they said they can deliver it directly to you there.

Following up post-trip

We really liked the scooter we got from Gold as well ad their customer service. We chose the Victory Pride 3-wheel model. We were glad we got the 3-wheel version. For as many times as we had to turn around in a small area, it was prefect.

We put in 3 pretty long days and only ever lost 3 bar of charge. yesterday, we were in the parks from 6:45a-10:30p and lost three bars by the end of the night.

We only saw 3 or 4 Gold Mobility scooters which made it easy to find ours wherever we parked it. The undercarriage lighting was great at night to help other people see where you were.

Disassembly/assembly was easy. Loading it in and out of our Toyota Highlander would be possible with one person, but two people mad it much easer. With the 3rd row seating down in the Highlander, the scooter fit, but just.

The hardest part of reassembly was lining up the post on the bottom of the seat with the connection on the scooter. A solo assembler can't see what they are doing. It was helpful to have one person hold the chair while another kneeled down and help guide it "move forward a bit... little more... keep going... STOP"

We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite at Dockside. There wasn't much room to park the scooter, but we managed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter