Best purchase when your husband is all about saving money!

Type1ofaKind

Earning My Ears
If it were just up to me, I would have purchased RIV direct months ago. However, husband is a penny pincher! We are in our 40s with 2 kids, preschooler and middle schooler. We enjoy being at the resorts and a regular hotel room/studio is starting to not be as enjoyable on vacation. One bedrooms are what we would most likely prefer most vacations. Looking at buying 200 points. We are ok with the resorts that expire in 2042 because lets face it, our vacation habits will probably change in 20 years and who is to say our kids will want to vacation at Disney or even have kids themselves. Plus if they really want to buy into DVC hopefully in 20 years we could just help them buy their own contract. I have considered direct AKV and RIV as well as resale BRV and AKV. You all always have some sound advice so when it comes to saving money on Disney vacations for the next 20 years, what options would you consider?

Well, AKV and BRV resale will be the cheapest, but one will last longer. Resale leaves RIV out of the mix so if you don't mind not staying there or future resorts, then I'd go with one of those.

Point charts for 1 bedrooms are definitely going to be more friendly at AKV and BRV than RIV. However, 1 bedrooms SV at RIV do require home resort advantage. While still pretty costly, they are at least not crazy much like the PV. And, for reference. I ended up booking at 2 bedroom SV at RIV for next December for only 10 more points per night than the 1 bedroom would of cost me. Now, it was still a lot of points, but being an owner at least gives me a chance at SV rooms.

Having said all of that, if you are more about the cost to buy in only, then go resale and don't worry about RIV. Of course, I still believe DVC is too much money to buy a home resort that isn't your favorite so I would always start there. It does sound like AKV and BRV are good choices and they will cost less upfront.

My favorite resort is RIV and for me, it is worth the extra cost. But, plenty of people like AKV and BRV so I think all are good choices.

I'd recommend AKV for the Value 1BR's as that can really stretch your points for a larger room. Resale would obviously be cheaper but you'd just have to weigh out how much the direct benefits will work for you.

I am also open to any other resorts that I have not considered!

I would then first decide how important direct points are to you. Its not just about membership perks (which are not guaranteed), but being able to use them at RIV and future resorts. However, direct points do make you eligible for whatever benefits exist while resale will not.

If you decide that having direct points isn't that big of a deal, then rank the resorts in order. SSR is a great one for being economical with MF's at the lower end, gives you a longer expiration date than the 2042 of BRV, BWV, and BCV, and has a decent point chart to go with it.

If direct points is important because you'd like a chance to stay at RIV or future resorts, then I'd look at actual cost plus MF's to see which is the best choice long term. Getting AKV at 7 months will be easier than getting RIV SV at 7 months if buying direct points. IMO, I would still go with RIV in that case because owning there doesn't require you to stay there all the time so its point chart only matters when you don't want to trade out.

Now, RIV does have the resale restriction so selling that may not fetch as much as the others, but I am not sure that RIV resale and AKV resale (or SSR resale) will ever be that far apart down the road so don't think there is a huge loss there, especially since incentives could bring RIV close to AKV (I don't remember what the current prices are).

RIV is going up in base price on Feb 3rd to $207. If it is something you might want to buy, and haven't decided by the end of the month, you can always start the process and give yourself 10 days to back out but it will lock in the price.

Honestly, it sounds like you are open to a lot so that is a good thing!!!

Last edited:
I would pick SSR over AKL. Great bang for the buck and being next to Disney Springs makes it a much better location than AKL IMO.

However, husband is a penny pincher!

One bedrooms are what we would most likely prefer most vacations.

This statement seems like an oxymoron to me! The best penny pinching idea would be to stay at a value resort and not buy DVC at all, however, if you are aiming to get best value for your dollar I would suggest looking at the price per point, annual maintenance fees, and length of contract. If you are wanting value then I would not be looking at a 2042 resort at all. Half the contract length has passed and in 20 years your resale value is $0. I would suggest looking at a resort with a longer contract that you can sell if you decide Disney is no longer for you. You will use it and get some money back in return.

From everything you have said I would suggest a resale AKV or SSR contract. Both have more years on the contract, reasonable point charts and okay maintenance fees. However, I would caution not to buy something you do not love otherwise you will regret the purchase. If you want Riviera then I would purchase that in a heartbeat. If you are comfortable with not staying at Riviera and future resorts and comfortable with the idea of staying at SSR and AKV then those seem ideal.

If you are looking at 1 beds, I would add Copper Creek to your list of considerations. Longer contract than AKV/SSR and low dues. Wilderness Lodge is beautiful during the holidays. Resale is about $155-170 or there is currently a small incentive on buying direct.

Resale SSR will be your best value from an economic standpoint. Lowest WDW buy in, low annual dues, and still has a 2054 expiration. Most people say buy where you want to stay, but 1BR can be an exception. Those are the last room types to book and at 7 months out you almost always have a few choices of resorts you can book at. We use our SSR points all the time to stay in 1BR at Boardwalk or Beach Club.

If considering resale, you first need to put RIV into the looks nice, visit it as a tourist category. Otherwise you are stuck buying direct points to stay there. RIV is not a penny pincher resort. Look at resort point comparisons. With any incentives, RIV could still be a good fit for you. Otherwise the only other direct purchase resorts at WDW that I would consider are AKV, OKW or SSR. If you can say goodbye to RIV, buying resale will save you a lot of pennies and give you 10 great resorts to choose from! I’m one that will advise you to start your membership with resale.

I would go with BLT resale…great points chart with a second bathroom in the 1Br.

One-bedrooms are supposedly a terrible value points-wise anywhere, but we don't care, LOL. We love the separate bedroom for adults, full kitchen, and laundry. We also love Riviera and choose to stay there almost all the time (but are interested in split stays for the future, but always with Riviera as part of the equation.)

So, having said that, IDK that strictly going on budget points is the best option if you won't be happy at your home resort.

Hubby may pinch pennies, but is he going to complain about buses everywhere from SS/OKW/AK? Does he like the more exotic food choices at AK? Do your kids? Are you okay with split stays? Depending on when you want to travel, finding a resort open for a week at 7 months can be tricky. Luckily, one-bedrooms aren't as popular an option, but the cheaper views are gone by seven months, from what I have seen, so you still might need the home booking advantage.

We tried SS two-bedroom and hated the layout. It's cheap points, but who cares -- we were still bumping into each other with the tight kitchen and weird foyer/bathroom layout. It's cheap, but I don't want to be there. The resort itself is lovely though, and the pools were nice. I actually do cook in our rooms though, and the dumb kitchen nook was very cramped.

We spend a lot of time at the resorts, and want to do more of it. Sounds like that might be where you're at. Where are you going to be okay "stuck"?

If you like Riviera and one-bedrooms, you need about 300 points (what we have,) but we'd like 400 to do one off-season trip and one February vacation trip. The point promotion could even it out if you bought enough direct, plus you'd get last year's points, depending on use year you go with.

Riviera resale is $135-$150 right now, so I don't see the resale restrictions being that big of a deal, and I wouldn't want to be shut out of the new DisneyLand tower coming and anything else down the line.

AK is really nice, but their maintenance fees are a little higher due to animals. SS are economical. Have you done any YouTube video tours? Check them out.

I will say, we are very happy with the size and layout of RR one-bedrooms and anticipate it will serve our b/g kids until they're in high school and physically outgrow the trundle bed under the TV. Plus, we like the open floor plan to gather and host friends to dine/drink/watch a movie at the table or the kids laying on the Murphy bed. It's really laid out nice, IMO, the RR 1-bed.

If you are looking at 1 beds, I would add Copper Creek to your list of considerations. Longer contract than AKV/SSR and low dues. Wilderness Lodge is beautiful during the holidays. Resale is about $155-170 or there is currently a small incentive on buying direct.
CC is gorgeous, and we want to buy there for December bookings, but the one-bedrooms there are TIGHT and only sleep 4, so no chance of every bringing a friend or grandma. Just info to add to the mix. We'd buy in to do 2-bedrooms there for the space.

If I was solely looking for 1 bedrooms, I'd be looking at AKV and BLT. I own at neither, but have stayed at both in 1BR and that extra bath is lovely.

Actually, it has gotten to the point where I will book a 2 BR when my teenage daughter is joining us so she will have her own bathroom (or just not be in mine) if not at BLT or AKV.

Husband and I can co-exist peacefully in a BCV studio for a F&W week, but chaos ensues if you try to stick the three of us into a 1 BR with 1 bath. Add - we did a VGC last summer 1 br and that was so nice! (it has same BLT/AKV plan)

If penny pinching is really the goal, DVC is not the right timeshare. There are many that get you very close, sometimes closer than the on site resorts, with far lower buy in and dues, larger units, and more flexibility for use.

Most people who buy DVC end up spending more, not less, at Disney. DVC 1BRs are typically a poor points value.

If your goal is penny pinching, the AoA suite will always win. And don't forget tickets. You really need a ticket plan to even do this planning completely.

To me, I plan to sell in less than 10 years, so I bought resorts that I thought would hold value. I view it as like renting a contract.

Right now, with the plan of selling soonish, I would argue for BLT resale. The 1BR has an extra bathroom. The cheapest category is impossible to book without priority and it's an awesome value. You want to show some value? Do the math for that room against contemporary. Even a regular hotel room. If you change your mind, you sell. There are few times in DVC history where you wouldn't have at least broken even. Most of the time, you make some money. Those rooms for the cost of dues is awesome value.

I do think there also an argument for BC as well. I don't see it depreciating linearly, and I think a starter BC contract will be pretty appealing in 10 years against RIV 3, with its BC's chart and pool that Disney will never build again. But I haven't put my money where my mouth is on that one, for sure. BW also has a vary good chart on the 1BRs, with a similar argument. If I'm buying a 2042, it's either BC or BW, or a screaming deal on OKW, which I have seen from time to time. The 2042 charts can do a lot of the lifting, so you have to buy less points. That might also be more appealing.

Also, if your goal is penny pinching, don't forget the Redweek options. You can rent several days at Bonnet Creek in a real apartment-like villa and then stay less time in the Disney bubble. Maybe a split with a less expensive property would make a more exciting DVC property more appealing, like Beach Club.

If penny pinching is really the goal, DVC is not the right timeshare. There are many that get you very close, sometimes closer than the on site resorts, with far lower buy in and dues, larger units, and more flexibility for use.

Most people who buy DVC end up spending more, not less, at Disney. DVC 1BRs are typically a poor points value.
As much as I hated staying offsite, we are also penny pinchers, so we opted for a Hilton timeshare. We stay in a 1 bedroom that is walking distance to Seaworld for less than the cost of a Disney value. I love the Disney bubble, but after a split stay where we left the Hilton 1 bedroom and then went to All-Star Movies, spending more at ASM, it made sense for us, especially since we have 2 kids under age 6. It seems like we are always bringing lots of stuff on vacation. There is great info on other systems (like many people who love the Wyndham Bonnet Creek) at the TUG timeshare user boards.

I hope to eventually be DVC, but for now, we just needed an economical way to enjoy a 1 bedroom.

like many people who love the Wyndham Bonnet Creek

Bonnet Creek is basically on-site, although it doesn't get the (limited) "on site perks!" of the Disney-owned stuff. Given the cost savings, the fee to park and maybe buying After-Hours tickets now and again are pretty minor, though.

And it has a real lazy river.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter