Best resort for teenage boy (15) to stay ?

Thecouch

DIS Veteran
What resort/s do you think a 15yo boy would enjoy the most . Im guessing food and pool would probably be important .

Plus any must do for that age

April 15-23 next year me and my 15yo son will be coming from Australia for run weekend . He is doing the 10km sat 18th .im going to do the 21km sun 19th . At moment plan is just a cheap off site hotel for first 4 days as we will be stuffing around with picking up running stuff and early start for runs then 4 nights at disney hotel. But have been checking out dvc rental on this thread and checking discount history for disney hotels for maybe staying the whole time on property for 60 day fastpass (stayed at dolphin, Caribbean and AOT in April this year with my younger kids )

I would recommend Yacht Club (1 minute walk to Beach Club and usually much better discounted rooms..25 - 30% off compared to 10% at BC). They have an amazing pool with water slide and a great arcade. There are tons of dining venues, quick service and you can walk/ferry to Epcot and DHS, not to mention the boardwalk area he can browse around. Fantastic running trails too.

If youre not interested in a deluxe resort, POFQ would be my next pick. Cute theme, great pool, resort activities and nice quick service dining venue. Great running trails for training too and ferry to Disney Springs for Shopping/Dining/Entertainment

At 15 my son loved the Beach Club. The pool is amazing. They do lots of pool games including volleyball in the pool. There were quite a few teenagers and he played volleyball in that pool for hours with all of the other teens. It's also easy access to food options that teen boys like. HH had burgers, Boardwalk pizza, Boardwalk Bakery has sandwiches, etc. There were days that he stayed at the pool while the rest of us went to the parks. He enjoyed it that much.

You'll probably get a lot of different answers based on everyone's personal preferences/styles. If you plan on spending a lot of your time in the pool, then the Yacht/Beach Club would be a good choice, but the pools at many of the resorts are very good.

My boys (currently 16 & 18) really like the Wilderness Lodge. It is a great fit for our personal style (we like the outdoors, hiking, national parks, etc., and are not really "beach people"). We prefer the immersive/rustic themes of the lodges over many of the other deluxes. We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in two weeks for the first time since they were little, and we are really excited to go back.

For a moderate, we would pick the Port Orleans Riverside (it's our favorite moderate because it fits our personal style), but Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs are good choices too. Caribbean Beach is getting the Skyliner, too.

My almost 13 year old girl is obsessed with the Poly pool/slide. We're doing a half split with Poly/Yacht Club this year and she'll either love SAB or hate it. The pool at CR she found "boring"

not really a budget but I love a deal . i will pay more i think im getting a good deal :) . I will be keeping a eye on dvc rental thread . I see beach club villas is one resort with dvc . how does boadwalk villas compare to yacht/beach club ?

not really a budget but I love a deal . i will pay more i think im getting a good deal :) . I will be keeping a eye on dvc rental thread . I see beach club villas is one resort with dvc . how does boadwalk villas compare to yacht/beach club ?

We did BWV last year, just DD12 and myself, and we loved it. I love the Epcot area resorts and would pick whichever is cheaper.

We rented points at BWV and started the process 12 months ahead. I believe it's easier to get a room at BWV. BC can be a bit more difficult.

My younger brother (he's 14) and I stayed in an AOA suite, which was great for the two of us. We each had our own space/privacy - beds and bathrooms. I slept in the bedroom with the bathroom attached, he slept on the couch and used the main bathroom. They had a great pool and he liked the ability to be independent and walk around the resort to get food/drinks. We both really appreciated being able to be a bit separated as it was the two of us.

Definitely keep an eye out for rentals as April is well within the 11 month window (which is when DVC members can actually reserve a room). Make sure you read all the stickies at the top to understand the process and how you can protect yourself. I would also recommend for BCV that you reach out to brokers also (there are two major ones: David's is one). For a place like BCV renting from a broker vs an owner directly is likely to cost you the same price (as BCV commands one of the highest rental prices at WDW). You can do the brokers they require a deposit (around 100) and will refund it if you cancel the request before you find an owner.

Also be mindful that the brokers aren't first come first serve. They simply maintain a list of all requests and send that to the owners, who have choices on which reservation they want to reserve.

As other stated BWV is easier (Pool/Garden view, Boardwalk and Standard Views are unlikely for a renter especially well within the 11 month window). BCV by far has the biggest pool and nicest, BWV rooms are more in the action as the resort was built with DVC and hotel together (in fact the DVC side has most of the amenities). BCV sits behind BC with no real views (trees, quite pool/parking lot, or beach club); some have highly obstructed EP views. The views at BWV are likely much better, though BCV is picked mainly for the pool and being slightly closer to EP.

Please realize that DVC rentals are final; there is no room for cancellation. Coming from so far away, I would be leery of having a reservation that couldn't be cancelled. A lot can happen that would result in a change of plans. You would probably be better off with a cash reservation and a cancellation policy.

Please realize that DVC rentals are final; there is no room for cancellation. Coming from so far away, I would be leery of having a reservation that couldn't be cancelled. A lot can happen that would result in a change of plans. You would probably be better off with a cash reservation and a cancellation policy.
I would add that the two major brokers do now offer some level of cancellation insurance. Though the OP still wouldn't be able to modify the reservation.

Check with a few travel agents that specialize in disney vacations. They can offer some pretty great discounts even when disney does not. I'm assuming you can still use a US travel agent even if booking from another country.

OKW is very laid back and good for teens wanting some independence. Lots of activities, sports etc ear to the main pool which is nicely themed. Boat to Disney Springs and nice big studios. You should also get a good deal, deluxe standard at moderate prices.
Otherwise Coronado Springs would be my second choice.

What resort/s do you think a 15yo boy would enjoy the most . Im guessing food and pool would probably be important .

Plus any must do for that age

My son was 15 when we stayed at the Polynesian - it was perfectly located - a quick walk over to the monorail to EPCOT, or hop on the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. He was able to be a little independent, meeting us over at EPCOT when he wanted to sleep in one morning (and we wanted early entry.) Food was good, and there were events at the pool for teens - he "won" a 30 minute ride on a jetski. Super fun for him! We felt comfortable having him take the monorail by himself.

On another note, have you considered to stay one of your nights over at one of the Universal Studios? You would of course need to get tickets, but if you stay one night in one of their three "deluxe" hotels, you would also get the Unlimited Express Pass for the day you arrive, and the day you leave - so stay one night, the express pass lasts for two days (again, with purchased park tickets). You could Uber/Lyft over, check in early, leave your bags, and if you are early enough, get the hour early admission (included for hotel stays on-site) - the reason I suggest this is my 15 year old also would have preferred the experience at Universal - big roller coasters; Wizarding World of Harry Potter, etc. It could be a fun side trip for the two of you.

I like the sound of that universal studios suggestion. I was thinking of doing a 1 day 2 park pass with maybe the express part already . We arrive late wed ..could probably stay universal studios wed and thur night . Do a full day thur and half day fri .then go pick up our run bibs fri afternoon/night and book into a disney hotel before our run sat amd sunday

I’d stay on the monorail (Poly, Bay Lake Towers, Grand Floridian, Contemprary) or within walking distance to EP/DHS (Beach club, Boardwalk). That way he can go to the parks himself easily.

I like the sound of that universal studios suggestion. I was thinking of doing a 1 day 2 park pass with maybe the express part already . We arrive late wed ..could probably stay universal studios wed and thur night . Do a full day thur and half day fri .then go pick up our run bibs fri afternoon/night and book into a disney hotel before our run sat amd sunday
Just know that the express pass is free/included staying at the most expensive resorts. We are going for our first Universal trip this August. From what I've read on these boards, The Hard Rock Cafe is closest - if your son likes Rock n' Roll, he might just love it. The cost of an express pass can otherwise be pretty pricey - it was less expensive for us to stay at the pricier hotel than it was to purchase the two express passes separately (this will be just my husband and myself this time) per day. I'm impressed by your stamina! That is a long trip from Australia to hit the parks running/then race!

Our then 16 year old loved the Boardwalk last year. He loved ESPN, Ample Hills (cookie ice cream sandwich!), the pizza window, snacks, the pool, and watching the fireworks on the balcony. You can also see the high fireworks from HS swimming in pool. The gift shop has a bakery case and those icee slushy drinks. The arcade was very small, but he used it a bit. It is also easy access to BC/YC and you can walk to 2 parks. The walk to EPCOT is super close and great for dinners. We are staying at WL this year and he already said he will miss BWI. (First-world problems, I know.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter