• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Restaurant for Mother's Day?

J-Dog

A Nobody
Hi all,

I know that this question is a little bit out-of-season...

We will be in Orlando on Mother's Day 2020, and while we plan to go theme-park-crazy most of the days we are there, that Sunday we are planning on having a relaxing day with a fancy meal. The party will be me, DW, DSIL, DBIL, DD16, and DD1.

I had already started a thread asking about fine dining that allows kids, and it sounds like most places (other than V&A) are receptive to non-bratty kids, so hopefully having a 1-year old is irrelevant to any advice given.

Mostly, I want to give my wife a fancy dinner without excluding everyone else, i.e. nothing too romantic, and nothing too kid-centric.

We were thinking about doing Shula's, but I know Shula's is kind-of geared towards guys and football, so maybe it's not great for Mother's day. Or maybe it would be fine? My wife likes most types of food, except seafood - but she would be fine with a seafood joint as long as they had a decent steak or chicken dish (or something similarly non-fishy).

Suggestions? Thanks!

I would agree about California grill brunch but if you cant get that one, try Grand Floridian Cafe - beautiful restaurant. I was there on Mother's Day this year and it was really nice

If my husband were planning a dinner for me, I would hope he would pick my one of my favorites. Yes, we've been to WDW many times and he knows my favorite there, but even if we hadnt been to WDW, he "should" ( married 29 years!) know my favorite cuisine! I dont need "fancy" per-se, but I would appreciate the thought that he chose what I like.

That being said, take a look at online menus allears dot com is a fantastic resource and see if there is any place she would love a particular entree/atmosphere.

I love Shulas, Citricos, Cali Grill etc.... but for a day to celebrate me, I would want San Angel Inn because IMO, there is NOTHING better than Mexican food and mango margaritas!

Thanks so much for the replies and advice!

Brunch is a great idea, but we are late-to-the-parks type people, since we are from the West Coast, and SIL literally takes 2 hours to get ready in the mornings. So I am more looking at dinner than brunch.

My wife and have been to WDW 6 times, but as far as I know, she doesn't necessarily have any "favorites", especially when it comes to fine dining, since we don't exactly have enough money to go to any of those places enough to create a "favorite" list.

Sounds like California Grill is a good option. We've never been there, so I will look into it.

Thanks again!

There are so many great signatures. Cali Grill is a great suggestion - great food, amazing view and it's fun to be whisked up on the private elevator! I would also suggest bluezoo at the Dolphin and Flying Fish on the Boardwalk. They are both fantastic and it's really fun to go to the Boardwalk in the evening for the jugglers/magicians and carnival games. I would also consider Jiko at AKL - the resort is gorgeous and you can go out to the public viewing area for the savannah.

As weird as it sounds, if I was doing mother's day in WDW, I'd want characters if brunch was out of the question.

Of course I also spent my mothers day with my mom watching Avengers Endgame....so I'm definitely not a normal mom.

Totally go with the Wave at the Contemporary! We just recently "found" this restaurant. We had the best dinner with extended family there. The service and food was super great! We enjoyed that we could have a conversation (without having to yell over the noise of the restaurant) at dinner and we didn't feel rushed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter