Best restaurants outside the resort

astephen2

Earning My Ears
I'll be going to DLR in early April. We'll be eating plenty of resort food, but I imagine we'll be doing dinners outside of the resort to save some money.

Anybody have recommendations on good places to eat outside of the parks/DTD/hotels?

My family LOVES JimBoy Tacos! It’s out in front of the Grand Legacy.
We love Jim boys too! Another favorite is Pizza Press in the Anaheim hotel. We have gotten take out from PF Chang’s in garden walk too. And of course Cheesecake Factory. If you want to go a little further, the Anaheim packing district is awesome!

Last edited:
I'll be going to DLR in early April. We'll be eating plenty of resort food, but I imagine we'll be doing dinners outside of the resort to save some money.

Anybody have recommendations on good places to eat outside of the parks/DTD/hotels?

We like Mimi’s Bistro. The portions are large and the food is good. They have a great selection of cocktails and they are cheap. You can eat healthy or unhealthy. It’s not Eddie Vs, but we all thought the food was much better than what Blue Bayou and some of the restaurants in the parks offer, and so much cheaper. My dad bought dinner for three adults and two kids, including 4 cocktails, for what he spent buying lunch for him and my mom at Blue Bayou. And our food was better. It’s a huge difference in price, so if you are looking to save money, it’s worth trying.

The DtD restaurants are very expensive. Anything table service on property is- But there are several great quick service restaurants on property that are very reasonable and very good.

Last edited:
Another vote for Mimi's if looking for good food at reasonable prices.

DW and I like a light lunch, cocktails and people watching at Uva Bar in DTD

I don't find most off-site restaurants all that cheaper or better in general. We would rather stay in the parks (or DTD or DLR hotel) than travel somewhere else. Way too many good choices on DLR property...... including many of the counter service places.
Our experience at Mimi's has been meh.... ok, but nothing to speak of. Def. would not go out of my way to go there or off-site in general.

... Anybody have recommendations on good places to eat outside of the parks/DTD/hotels?
PSA: While you'll get different opinions on the "best" places to eat outside (or even inside) the parks, you should get a pretty unanimous opinion on the WORST place to eat (or NOT eat) outside the parks: DON'T eat at Captain Kidd's! Not worth the health risk (once voted "Worst Restaurant in Orange County, Winner, Winner, Don't Eat Dinner: The Worst Restaurant in the ...www.ocweekly.com › winner-winner-dont-eat-dinner-the-worst-resta...). People have posted here about eating there (so cheap for AYCE!), then spending all night in the bathroom with Pepto Bismol and/or Immodium. Not the way most people want to spend their Disneyland vacation...

Will you have a car or be willing to use ride share? If walking, look at the website for GardenWalk on Katella, a short walk east of Harbor. There are lots of restaurants there which are popular with posters here. Ruby's Diner on Lincoln is very popular with families -- kids love Ruby's! The Anaheim Packing District is a sort of upscale food court with lots of different options -- about 10 minutes from the parks.

And another vote for Mimi's. We had a great experience there. Went to dinner early (4:30ish) and there was only one other family there. It was quiet, cool and a wonderful break from the sensory overload of the parks.
Great food (pot pie - yum) and drinks too!

Another vote for Mimi's. Short walk up Harbor near Hojo. Go to there website and signup for offers and they will send you 2 for 1 coupons by email.

It's been quite awhile since I've been there, but I loved Coco's Bakery Restaurant. They have multiple locations, one near the intersection of Disneyland Drive and W Katella Avenue (not far from the convention center). Prices were very reasonable and I loved the fact that I could get breakfast any time. Their menu looks even better than what I remember.

Hopefully someone who's been there recently can chime in on how they are these days.

Will you have a car or be willing to use ride share? If walking, look at the website for GardenWalk on Katella, a short walk east of Harbor. There are lots of restaurants there which are popular with posters here. Ruby's Diner on Lincoln is very popular with families -- kids love Ruby's! The Anaheim Packing District is a sort of upscale food court with lots of different options -- about 10 minutes from the parks.
The Packing District is also an excellent choice that has enough options to satisfy any taste

The Packing District is also an excellent choice that has enough options to satisfy any taste

This has become one of my new favorites when in Anaheim and well with the Uber ride.

If you goal is to save $$ over eating in park, know that you are still going to pay a premium for any restaurant within a block of the resort or in the Garden Walk area. While there are indeed some great eats and options, they are all bait of a tourist trap.

The ihop across the street is known as "the most expensive iHop pancakes in America"

Last edited:
PSA: While you'll get different opinions on the "best" places to eat outside (or even inside) the parks, you should get a pretty unanimous opinion on the WORST place to eat (or NOT eat) outside the parks: DON'T eat at Captain Kidd's! Not worth the health risk (once voted "Worst Restaurant in Orange County, Winner, Winner, Don't Eat Dinner: The Worst Restaurant in the ...www.ocweekly.com › winner-winner-dont-eat-dinner-the-worst-resta...). People have posted here about eating there (so cheap for AYCE!), then spending all night in the bathroom with Pepto Bismol and/or Immodium. Not the way most people want to spend their Disneyland vacation...
Yikes. Sounds like Mcdonalds is a better option that that place lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter