Best running shoes for low back pain

babyruth

for the first time in forever
And running on concrete? I’m planning to do the runDisney virtual races when they start and I’ve been away from running since having back surgery 9 years ago! I thought running blew out my back, come to find out it was probably squatting with a bar on my back. (And no, no doctor or physical therapist ever identified that at the time and just told me to stop running!)

anyway - I would like as much cushioning for impact as possible. I usually wear an 8 but size up to 8.5 in ASICS running, for fit comparisons.

And running on concrete? I’m planning to do the runDisney virtual races when they start and I’ve been away from running since having back surgery 9 years ago! I thought running blew out my back, come to find out it was probably squatting with a bar on my back. (And no, no doctor or physical therapist ever identified that at the time and just told me to stop running!)

anyway - I would like as much cushioning for impact as possible. I usually wear an 8 but size up to 8.5 in ASICS running, for fit comparisons.

For lower back pain, you may have more success doing core strengthening to reduce the load on your lower back muscles than you will trying to find a shoe to alleviate the issue.

I have back spasms - the Nike Pegasus series has really helped me, but we are all an experiment of one. If you have back pain, it is more important than ever to get properly fitted because the wrong running shoes can make the problem worse. IMO, you should go to a good running store (when they open up again) and explain your problem, then get fitted.

For lower back pain, you may have more success doing core strengthening to reduce the load on your lower back muscles than you will trying to find a shoe to alleviate the issue.
@babyruth I injured my back in college due to improper lifting techniques at a job. I was prescribed all sorts of different exercises that helped a little bit, but never as substantially as I hoped. I just had to deal with periodic lower back pain for many year. Fast forward almost 15 years to running my first half marathon. As it turned out, the training required for that distance helped strengthen my core sufficiently to finally make the issue go away entirely. So strengthening my core worked out wonderfully. Keep in mind though that I'm a slower runner. Good luck.

Hoka One One are some of the best maximalist running shoes, I train in the Cliftons and love them.

I'm not sure any shoes will substancially help you. The important thing is to strengthen your support muscles and make sure your form is good. I would normally say go get fitted at a good running store but that is out at the moment. If you have a good local shop some are doing online consultations and then delivering shoes. They might have some more specific suggestions. As a general rule I'd stay away from anything with a really low drop or stack height but I could also see going too far in the other direction being a problem depending on your gait.

Have you been walking distances of 3-5 miles? I'd start there before running if your back has been an issue. I have some recurring lower back pain and have been given pretty good exercises to do by a DPT I see. I also highly recommend this book by Kelly Starrett.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter