• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best salads - both TS and QS

EllNat11

Mouseketeer
Planning a trip in mid-May and while I snagged a couple ADRs that were important (CRT and OHana) I’m struggling to decide where else we should eat. It’s been 5 years since I’ve been to WDW. I don’t have allergies, but I do get ill if I eat too heavy/rich. Hoping for some tips on the best places to get salads/lighter fare so my husband can still eat regular food but I don’t spend a week feeling like a bloated toad! Thanks! :)

DHS - Brown Debry - the Cobb Salad is quite good you can add chicken and/or shrimp. This is the first salad that pops into my head...

As far as the buffets you might do okay here, the salad assortment is not what I would call plentiful, basic and fresh is more like it. With the buffet you will get more options, like veggies, roasted meat or fish.. so this might work out for lighter fare...

Spend some time checking out the menus, this way you know what is offered where its at... and you will be able to make a choice that suits all of you. Nothing worse that walking into a QS with a "Hangry" family and finding out that the menu isn't going to work...

We were there in August and it was so hot that salads were the most appealing to me. The best and most memorable salads I had while I was there were:

* The summer salad at Narcoosees - it sounds seasonal but last I checked it was still on the menu
* The sliced beef with hearty greens at Satulli Canteen
* Pecos Bill - I think it's called Fajita with grilled chicken. Being able to add Pico and onions from the fixins bar was nice
* Believe it or not Trails End had some lovely Arugula and Kale salads on their buffet

We ate at a lot of restaurants but those salads stuck out to me. CRT does have a grilled beef salad that was nice for lunch - I would have not liked it at dinner.

The Southwest Salad with Chicken at Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe in MK is outstanding and a good value.
The Galactic Salad with Chicken at Back Lot Express was not very good at all.

DHS - Brown Debry - the Cobb Salad is quite good you can add chicken and/or shrimp. This is the first salad that pops into my head...

As far as the buffets you might do okay here, the salad assortment is not what I would call plentiful, basic and fresh is more like it. With the buffet you will get more options, like veggies, roasted meat or fish.. so this might work out for lighter fare...

Spend some time checking out the menus, this way you know what is offered where its at... and you will be able to make a choice that suits all of you. Nothing worse that walking into a QS with a "Hangry" family and finding out that the menu isn't going to work...

Thank you! What's funny is I've been to Disney about 35 times and it's never occurred to me to eat @ Brown Derby - that salad sounds good though!!

We were there in August and it was so hot that salads were the most appealing to me. The best and most memorable salads I had while I was there were:

* The summer salad at Narcoosees - it sounds seasonal but last I checked it was still on the menu
* The sliced beef with hearty greens at Satulli Canteen
* Pecos Bill - I think it's called Fajita with grilled chicken. Being able to add Pico and onions from the fixins bar was nice
* Believe it or not Trails End had some lovely Arugula and Kale salads on their buffet

We ate at a lot of restaurants but those salads stuck out to me. CRT does have a grilled beef salad that was nice for lunch - I would have not liked it at dinner.

Thank you! I think Satulli is new since I've been there last - so really good to know! Narcoosees has always been on my want to try list - maybe we'll have to give it a shot this time around!

The Southwest Salad with Chicken at Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe in MK is outstanding and a good value.
The Galactic Salad with Chicken at Back Lot Express was not very good at all.

Thanks so much for the heads up on what NOT to get @ Back Lot - that's just as important as knowing what TO get!!

I had the signature Cobb at Brown Derby during my recent trip and loved it. Another favorite light option that isn't a salad is the Olive and Hummus plate at Spice Road. Also, if you're up to venturing out of the parks, the appetizer salads at Flying Fish are phenomenal.

Cobb Salad at Brown Derby
China Island Salad at Rainforest Cafe AK

I used to get the Colony Salad for lunch at LTT. We were there Thanksgiving Week and it was not on the menu. Not sure if it was brought back.

I can only wish you good luck with this question. The DDP has lead to the demise of a decent salad as an option in most restaurants. Salads simply don’t fit into the price point for an entree option or if one is offered it is a horrible waste of a credit compared to the other menu options. At the very least with the emphasis on pushing the DDP there is no motivation to create truly inspired or unique salad options. As others have pointed out there are some ho-hum greens out there but nothing to write home about.

I can only wish you good luck with this question. The DDP has lead to the demise of a decent salad as an option in most restaurants. Salads simply don’t fit into the price point for an entree option or if one is offered it is a horrible waste of a credit compared to the other menu options. At the very least with the emphasis on pushing the DDP there is no motivation to create truly inspired or unique salad options. As others have pointed out there are some ho-hum greens out there but nothing to write home about.

I was afraid of this, hopefully I can hunt down the couple good ones mentioned in this thread!

I, too, love the Cobb at the Hollywood Brown Derby, but my second favorite salad is the A Lot At Steak Salad at Jungle Skipper's Canteen. I try to get both every trip.

I really like the Tuna Niçoise salad at BOG. I also really like the Seared Tuna Salad at Yak & Yeti.

I really like the Tuna Niçoise salad at BOG. I also really like the Seared Tuna Salad at Yak & Yeti.

I'll second both of those along with the Cobb salad at HBD (both the proper one and the smaller portion served outside in the lounge).

There's some good lighter options in World Showcase including the Cobb salad at Liberty Inn and some of the things in Morocco and Japan.

I've also had good salads at Captain Cook's (at the Polynesian) and the food court at Riverside (select your own ingredients).

I don't know if they still have it, but four years ago we loved the Gasparillos(GF) salad. So fresh, they mixed in what you wanted, so abundant and so GOOD and fresh!:thumbsup2 YUMMY!::yes::

I can only wish a salad fyou good luck with this question. The DDP has lead to the demise of a decent salad as an option in most restaurants. Salads simply don’t fit into the price point for an entree option or if one is offered it is a horrible waste of a credit compared to the other menu options
I didn't see the OP mention a dining plan, but at any rate, there's always the flexibility of ordering https://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/din...ent=%&MenuItemDescription=Salad&BuffetItem=No and or creating https://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/din...nt=%&MenuItemDescription=Salad&BuffetItem=Yes

Planning a trip in mid-May and while I snagged a couple ADRs that were important (CRT and OHana) I’m struggling to decide where else we should eat. It’s been 5 years since I’ve been to WDW. I don’t have allergies, but I do get ill if I eat too heavy/rich. Hoping for some tips on the best places to get salads/lighter fare so my husband can still eat regular food but I don’t spend a week feeling like a bloated toad! Thanks! :)
If/when you head to AK....get the Ckn and or Steak bowl with a salad base at Satuli Canteen. It was AWESOME. And it was the 1st time ever...that I left a Disney meal, and wasn's stuffed or bloated....I actually felt great! I was like kale on my Disney vacation.....um...NO....but it was DELICIOUS!!!!

If/when you head to AK....get the Ckn and or Steak bowl with a salad base at Satuli Canteen. It was AWESOME. And it was the 1st time ever...that I left a Disney meal, and wasn's stuffed or bloated....I actually felt great! I was like kale on my Disney vacation.....um...NO....but it was DELICIOUS!!!!

Thanks! This is definitely going on the list!

I don't really do quick service, but The Chopped Salad at the Boathouse in Disney springs is one of my favorites. Also, The Harvest Salad at Chef Art Smith's Homecoming is fantastic.

I don't really do quick service, but The Chopped Salad at the Boathouse in Disney springs is one of my favorites. Also, The Harvest Salad at Chef Art Smith's Homecoming is fantastic.

Neither restaurant existed last time we visited - sounds like these may need to go on the list! Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter